Where are the rules?

frodobuggins

Hey all,

After reading the thread that was locked because someone asked about a shore fishing spot, i tried to find the rules, but couldn't.

I'm a bit confused as whats allowed or not.

There are numerous threads about people naming fishing spots, or asking for spots, within a certain driving distance from wherever they may be. These are answered all the time. Was it because he was new? How many posts does a guy need to have that answered? 20? Seems kind of Arbitrary doesn't it? Heck, if he was like me, he probably was on here frequently as a guest for some time before joining. Maybe to him it felt like he could ask that question because he'd been on here so often before he joined.

There a numerous threads with detailed trip reports, with names, roads travelled and cabin features. I like reading these reports because they are trips im likely never going to take, so i get to live vicariously through them. Some of them are so detailed i wonder if the author gets something in the form of kickbacks from the lodge. ( Frankly, i don't care if they do. More power to them)

If so, i'm a bit confused as to why that would be allowed, but someone saying they caught a fish on a particular lure (because of sponsorship or whatever) gets scolded.

I understand, this isn't really a public forum and that whoever runs it, moderates it, does so at their own discretion.

Thank you Michael.

Hey all,

After reading the thread that was locked because someone asked about a shore fishing spot, i tried to find the rules, but couldn't.

I'm a bit confused as whats allowed or not.

There are numerous threads about people naming fishing spots, or asking for spots, within a certain driving distance from wherever they may be. These are answered all the time. Was it because he was new? How many posts does a guy need to have that answered? 20? Seems kind of Arbitrary doesn't it? Heck, if he was like me, he probably was on here frequently as a guest for some time before joining. Maybe to him it felt like he could ask that question because he'd been on here so often before he joined.

There a numerous threads with detailed trip reports, with names, roads travelled and cabin features. I like reading these reports because they are trips im likely never going to take, so i get to live vicariously through them. Some of them are so detailed i wonder if the author gets something in the form of kickbacks from the lodge. ( Frankly, i don't care if they do. More power to them)

If so, i'm a bit confused as to why that would be allowed, but someone saying they caught a fish on a particular lure (because of sponsorship or whatever) gets scolded.

I understand, this isn't really a public forum and that whoever runs it, moderates it, does so at their own discretion.

Ever read a fishing/hunting magazine?

Same thing

It's the bro code in here man. No surprise there.

Really??????????

Get to know the members first. then again,you have made your opinion of this board already by your remark..

The bro code is that the Moderators let some people get away with stuff and call others on it. Personally I yell at everyone that I CATCH doing something wrong. Some times it is lock the thread and other it is a P.M. It is not that we ignore some than others it is there is a lot to read here and we don't always catch it. If people used the report button when they see something instead of thinking their is a bro code they would be happier. If someone does not like the way they are treated they have the option of not coming to the site it really is that simple. If you like the site most of the time then stay and support the site and the moderators after all we are people doing a job that most don't want

bro code.....wonder if I will ever be one of the bros

I have been censored more then most. and around longer then most

Yup you get yelled at sometimes but you also go fishing with some of the moderators too. We like all of the members here each is treated as fairly as we know how to.

Art

There is definitly a clique on this site. I've been around here for a long time, been locked out, banned, sworn at, called names.....you name it, but I still come back. Some days you can post gps locations, others you can't name a lake, it seems to just depend....

I agree with the OP though, I think the two locked threads were shut down for no good reason. Not a nice way to welcome a new member IMO. It could have been handles in a much nicer way.

Life goes on.........

S.

it's a great site...to be a lurker....LOL

kind of true, but only if you're not thick skinned....forums can be especially rough on the newbies who haven't learned 'the way' yet

most steelhead and musky threads, posting estimated weights of fish, etc...just sit back and enjoy the show.....everybody is a keyboard expert

I think there's a bit of common sense involved. Providing details on a far off trip is one thing cause you can't really do your own scouting, but if you're asking for info on close by spots most experienced guys expect you to do your own leg work. That's what they did.

Being more of a lurker than poster doesn't help... Due to work, home projects, side jobs etc and the fact that my wife hates fishing sidelines my ability to go fishing... The fact that I'm going moose hunting in 2 weeks burns her ass as well.. Lol. I might even get some fishing in for an actual report.... Shore fishing spots in a big city?? I see both sides of it but most people who live and fish in the city know the spots so they aren't much of a secret...

Revealing fishing spots is a judgement call that comes from experience. If I pull in a nice fish at the base of Fenelon Falls, there's no way I'm going to be cryptic about it, because it's no secret. If you've never fished there you're probably posting from some remote village in Mongolia. I have no hesitation giving away spots at George Lake in Killarney PP, because the access is pretty well restricted to the people camping there, and there are no powerboats allowed. It's not like you're going to see hordes of guys heading up there with bass boats. But I have found a couple of nice spots that I'll keep to myself for now, one is in the ________ _______ ____ just off Highway ___, and another is way up north of ________ up a dirt road called ________ _____. Nice little restaurant near there called _______ ________, good lunches! :whistling:

I think there's a bit of common sense involved. Providing details on a far off trip is one thing cause you can't really do your own scouting, but if you're asking for info on close by spots most experienced guys expect you to do your own leg work. That's what they did.

Exactly.

It takes a little common sense. I know it shouldn't, but it still shocks me that some people (Doofus for example) still don't understand the importance of posting specific details on fishing locations. Then to make it worse, they get confrontational when their posts gets locked.....

Edited by N.A.W

I think the confusion with new members starts with them having different expectations of a fishing forum. I would imagine a lot of ppl assume it would be a place where people share spots and techniques to catch more fish. From what i noticed here, its more about conserving good fishing spots. Also i would agree that it is mostly common sense, and 90% of people probably have never read the rules. I think that new members here get bullied a little by the old timers and moderators are less tolerant towards newer members. There was a nicer way to deal with the topic and not leave a sour taste in the newcomers mouth.

Almost all of us were new here at some time or other. I recall when I first joined, I felt like an outsider and was initially mocked. Thinking back, I probabaly deserved it!

Consider the position of long time members and the never ending influx of "new members" all trying to make an impression or share knowledge.

How many times has a long standing member given out info to a newbie only to have that come back and haunt them? I've seen it many times.

So, here's a little secret for you newer members on how to become one of the "old boys"...

GET OUT THERE AND MEET FOLKS FROM THE BOARD. It's really that simple.

I attended two gtg's early in my time here. At the first gathering, I met one guy here that I have fished with ever since and he has become one of my best friends since.

My second GTG was at a fishing for Tyler event. I met pretty much all of the "boys club" there and as a result, was invited to personal cottages and future fishing trips. Why, because I was no longer a faceless name on an internet board. That's really all it takes!

So, get off the keyboard, get yerself out there, meet some folks and grow your fishing network. Carping about your own lack of effort to make things happen will likely fall on deaf ears...

HH

I'm totally willing to give out already known popular spots by PM. I'll give out bodies of water that with a little research should produce for a competent angler by PM. I'll give out resource tools like these

http://nomap.ca/%28S%28urlvyvbq0euw3gmtufqtyqul%29%29/Home.aspx

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics

http://www.myccr.com/

http://www.algonquinmap.com/online.html

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/toporama/index.html

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/226817.pdf

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/226818.pdf

http://fisheriesreports.org/wp-content/uploads/Atlas-of-Brook-Trout-Streams-Rivers.pdf

over the open net and tell you DO THE RESEARCH its all available online,Then dig it out.

How would I go about finding my first post I'm curious what it was?

Exactly.

It takes a little common sense. I know it shouldn't, but it still shocks me that some people (Doofus for example) still don't understand the importance of posting specific details on fishing locations. Then to make it worse, they get confrontational when their posts gets locked.....

So he didn't know, or lacked common sense as you put it!

Does that make him an idiot, or just unknowledgeable about the culture of this site? Either way does it justify feeling like you've just walked into a hornets nest?

Being ignorant towards something doesn't justify aggression as the response.

I would consider myself new still to this forum. I do spend a lot of time reading reports from everyone and whatever tidbit of tips from other posts. I understand how some people that have been on the forum are a little skiddish with posting on newbie threads about spots. There are a lot of "members" that are here today and gone tomorrow. There is not way to filter these people so newbies really have to work to gain some respect. Its just like meeting people in person ( yes people still do that without a keyboard). If I meet you for the first time will you tell me all your secrets? NO! Get to know me (everyone) and you'll get the answers you need when i'm ( we're) comfortable with you. Getting out and fish/hunt it is still better than sitting at home doing Chores! Post a report and you're good.... Happy posting all!

nick

Edited by quickme

I think what happens a lot is a "newbie" is doing online research... And a lot of searches lead to OFC... So naturally they figure why not just join...???

They do... They ask ask a question... And often enough get reamed....

I don't think many people look at OFC and think... Hmmmm... I think I'm gunna join this site... Talk about hockey, music and politics for a year or two and then maybe... Just maybe... Ill be able to ask for help.... And get answers that will help...

But some... Take the reaming... Meet a few good people... Help some people.... Get helped by a few people... And stick around to kill some time here and there....

Funny thing is... Most of the long term members don't post reports.... The newbies do... And reports from the same person on the same water gets boring... So the newbies are the breath if fresh air...