Sad day for me..

danc

Early today I was informed that a good fishing buddy and an icon in our local fishing community passed away this morning. Rob Danchuk owned and operated Sleeping Giant taxidermy and live bait here in Thunder Bay. When I could find the time, it was always fun to drop into Rob's shop and shoot the breeze and to check out the fish and animals hanging on the wall for customers. Ironically, I was gonna stop in and see Rob yesterday as I was in the neighbourhood. But I didn't. How I wish I would have now. I once took Rob to Lake Nipigon for some Brook Trout fishing. Within our first five minutes of fishing, Rob caught the biggest Speck of his life. It was about a six or seven lb. fish that he caught on a Rapala Countdown. Several months later I dropped into the shop and Rob had his trophy Speck nicely mounted on a peice of driftwood with a working clock on it to boot. I asked him what he did with the Rapala, because I usually cherish any lure that I've caught a fish of a lifetime on. "It's right there" he replied, pointing to the Rapala display in his shop. He had put it back in it's original box and back for sale. That was Robbie. He was one in a million and will be sadly missed.

The thought that I will never ever be able to drop in and see Rob at the shop is.... Man I can't even find the words for this.

Rest in peace my friend. Love ya...

Sorry for your loss Dan.

Was it his bait shop that you sent me to a few years back for crawlers?

No it wasn't Phil. I sent you to the closest shop considering your situation at the time. With less urgency I surely would have sent you to Rob's shop, even though you would have spent half a day there listening to Robbie talk your ear off.

A memorial service will be held for Rob Danchuk at the 
DaVinci Centre

340 S. Waterloo Street Thunder Bay, ON P7E 6H9 Canada

on Thursday April 11th. starting at 1:30 pm.

Thanks for that Roy. Sadly for me I'm away from home and won't be able to attend.