New Ontario government protecting the environment (fishing)

Nipfisher

ont_logo_new.gif

New Ontario government protecting the environment

Saturday, March 16, 2013 by: Kate AdamsMNR News Release

The new Ontario government is helping community groups protect animals, plants, forests and lakes through the creation of two new programs.

The Land Stewardship and Habitat Restoration Program (LSHRP) will provide funding to eligible community groups for land stewardship initiatives and projects that enhance fish and wildlife habitats.

The Community Hatchery Program (CHP) will help strengthen community fish hatchery operations by providing funding to eligible volunteer fish hatcheries. This program will be delivered by the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH).

Protecting and enhancing local biodiversity is part of the new Ontario government's plan to enhance quality of life for families and ensure a strong, green economy for future generations.

Quick Facts

•LSHRP guidelines and application forms are now available online. The deadline to apply is midnight on Friday, May 3, 2013.

•For more information about the CHP, please contact Terry Quinney at 705-748-6324, ext. 242.

•Ontario is home to more than 30,000 species, all of which are important to the biological, social and economic vitality of the province.

Edited by Nipfisher

I see they are going to give money to those that are willing to VOLUNTEER. WRONG way of thinking IMO.

Not disrespecting those that do.

Who else is looking after your favourite river? We both know it's not the government :)

Edited by BillM

Who else is looking after your favourite river? We both know it's not the government :)

Thats my point Bill. Others are putting out their time and own money.Volunteering is great, We pay to play,so get the resource back the way it should be. This to me,is a bunch of crap. Get more CO,S AND THE MNR,back to the way it is to be.

Thats my point Bill. Others are putting out their time and own money.Volunteering is great, We pay to play,so get the resource back the way it should be. This to me,is a bunch of crap. Get more CO,S AND THE MNR,back to the way it is to be.

I'd love to have more CO's patrolling the river... We usually have the district MNR biologist out to a few of the Nottawasaga Steelheaders meetings. He provides us the data from our scale sampling, etc.. Pretty interesting stuff.

Isn't this the very same "new" Ontario government that just let the Indians set up gill nets from Goderich to Owen Sound?

Yes, I'm sure that initiative will go a long way toward protecting fisheries. Nothing like a few miles of gill nets to put more fish in the system.

Idiots.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Isn't this the very same "new" Ontario government that just let the Indians set up gill nets from Goderich to Owen Sound?

Yes, I'm sure that initiative will go a long way toward protecting fisheries. Nothing like a few miles of gill nets to put more fish in the system.

Idiots.

A volunteer group of people to cut nets? ;)

I'd love to have more CO's patrolling the river... We usually have the district MNR biologist out to a few of the Nottawasaga Steelheaders meetings. He provides us the data from our scale sampling, etc.. Pretty interesting stuff.

When/where, is the next meeting Bill?

Idiots.

With the courts backing native fishing rights claims, it's not likely the province is negotiating from a position of strength

more money going to organizations to deliver these project, at what cost. Most organizations pay high rates to manage money given to them by governments to pad there bottom line. why spend one nickle on protection of fish and wild life as the MNR does not give a rats ass about some species of fish . I know of 3 phone calls to tips line on poaching rainbow trout that have never been called back but 1 call on taking a walley from rice lake was called back in less than 24 hours of the call being made, both occurrences came from the sam WMU so its not one officer is busy its the same guy. This is just another way to make non profit organizations vote on there behalf in the next ellection and yes i am talking trash fully on the OFAH

Idiots.

Your not looking at the big picture Craig...I am very optimistic now that SON has control over the water we will see change for positive outcomes to balance the fish back to a natural state,,,,All the natives i have talked to are excited about volunteering to existing hatcheries to learn the process with the possibilities of being the custodians of their own hatchery as they move forward to the future...Since the natives took over their right to fish on lake Huron there has not been one charge layed from going over quota..too bad we couldnt say same when we were the commercial fishers...as far as the new regulations in Colpoys and OS the nets may be eaiser visable by their location but it doesnt change the quota so the nets shouldnt be out there as long ... Im confident Syndenham and Saugeen Nation will seize this opportunity to work together to remove nets during derby times

Exactly what Craig said. Why is the revenue going to restock when it gets raped by another group that has questionable limits.

Thats a false assumption ...the resource has already been raped....now its time to heal the damage..stocking hatcheries are in dire straits with the dropping participation of derbys....The opportunities are greater now for the Gov to actually work with SON and benefit us all

Without knowing the details, this appears to be good news. Some of you may have heard that MNR recently cancelled the Community Fish and Wildlife Involvement Program (CFWIP) but I don't recall seeing any press releases on this (surprise, surprise). I am assuming that this new program just replaces CFWIP, with some modifications. CFWIP had a budget of $1,000,000 annually and each District reviewed projects within the District. In my experience, projects were typically funded in the neighbourhood of around $1500. This new program appears to be co-ordinated out of Peterborough and after a very quick check, I didn't see how much is alotted for the new program. It has also increased the amount of funding to up to $20,000. Based on this amount, I am assuming that fewer projects will be funded, however, more substantial projects can be funded.

Jon

Sounds promising....always good to get some of our money back in our hands. :good:

For starters, no one elected whats her face so this government should mean even less to us than the one led by McGumby Dammit!! Secondly, its just another way of throwing away more of our hard earned money (see any other Liberal Scandal). These Jackasses haven't to been able to find their own asses with both hands for 9 years and in doing so have downloaded Tonnes of debt onto any future Grandchildren my offspring might bless me with some day so what makes anyone think they're gonna start figuring it out now??????? Dreaming in technicolor folks.

Another Stewardship group??? Just keep in mind the Stewardship Gestapo that was stealing from us at the cash tills with that environmental fee crap. Did that change anything and what bottomless pit did that cash end up being thrown down? How does it go again, If someone puts lipstick on a Pig would you be stupid enough to kiss it mistaking it for something else????? Whatever. Throw her and the rest of her cronies out and leave them pension less and homeless cause we'll be joining them soon enough if this continues. There's extra money???? PAY SOME DEBTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell is wrong with everyone?!?!?!

Five simple words; STOP BUYING VOTES AND GOVERN!!!!

Edited by moxie

For starters, no one elected whats her face so this government should mean even less to us than the one led by McGumby Dammit!! Secondly, its just another way of throwing away more of our hard earned money (see any other Liberal Scandal). These Jackasses haven't to been able to find their own asses with both hands for 9 years and in doing so have downloaded Tonnes of debt onto any future Grandchildren my offspring might bless me with some day so what makes anyone think they're gonna start figuring it out now??????? Dreaming in technicolor folks.

Just keep in mind the Stewardship Gestapo was stealing from us at the cash tills with that environmental fee crap. How does it go again, If someone puts lipstick on a Pig would you be stupid enough to kiss it mistaking it for something else????? Whatever. Throw her and the rest of her cronies out and leave them pension less and homeless cause we'll be joining them soon enough if this continues. There's extra money???? PAY SOME DEBTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the hell is wrong with everyone?!?!?!

Well, there ya go, Hope you feel better since you got that out!! I'm wondering if you have ever been involved with any grass roots volunteer hatchery, or similar?

From my experience on 4 different type organizations, I know how much time and effort and MONEY it takes to do this stuff. I agree with some other comments on hiring some more C.O's, but a thousand or two, to a couple hundred local clubs WILL and DOES make a difference. :thumbsup_anim:

But Maybe your right, Lets ALL pay for another election, and make sure those that are elected, are more pure than honey. because that WILL HAPPEN, I can tell your sure of it.

For Your record, I DO NOT vote liberal either. :wacko:

Your not looking at the big picture Craig...I am very optimistic now that SON has control over the water we will see change for positive outcomes to balance the fish back to a natural state,,,,All the natives i have talked to are excited about volunteering to existing hatcheries to learn the process with the possibilities of being the custodians of their own hatchery as they move forward to the future...Since the natives took over their right to fish on lake Huron there has not been one charge layed from going over quota..too bad we couldnt say same when we were the commercial fishers...as far as the new regulations in Colpoys and OS the nets may be eaiser visable by their location but it doesnt change the quota so the nets shouldnt be out there as long ... Im confident Syndenham and Saugeen Nation will seize this opportunity to work together to remove nets during derby times

Thats a false assumption ...the resource has already been raped....now its time to heal the damage..stocking hatcheries are in dire straits with the dropping participation of derbys....The opportunities are greater now for the Gov to actually work with SON and benefit us all

What I'm looking at is several decades of historic experience. Fisheries rehab projects and gill nets have yet to make a good combo - in Ontario or anywhere else.