Some Fish And Some Musings

solopaddler

I'm at home this morning, no fishing today. The kids are in school, Joanne is at work and the dog is currently watching me intently to see whether I'll rise and grab the leash.

With winter on the doorstep I find myself in a contemplative mood. It's been a good fall fishing wise, maybe even a great one.

That however has been offset by my uncles health. He was my angling mentor as a child and has always been my hero. Even now. Just before thanksgiving he was diagnosed with liver cancer and frankly is not doing very well.

We each deal with these situations as best we can. I find myself finding solace through the eyes of my children and their unabashed, untarnished view of life in general.

I've had my son out several times this fall and at 6 years old he's becoming an angler in his own right. Seeing him succeed and laughing at his excitement does my heart good.

Fall2012Steelheading040.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading047.jpg

I've had my share of success as well, fishing all corners of the map. Racking up several thousand kilometers on the truck and fishing all over Ontario and three different States in pursuit of steelhead.

Of course fishing with good friends has made the experience even better.

Fall2012Steelheading127.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading104.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading073.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading035.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading024.jpg

Buck.jpg

untitled.jpg

Fall2012Steelheading001.jpg

Hope, as always, springs eternal.

DuseyJun2-92012024.jpg

I think I'm going to take the dog out for a walk now.

This pic is KILLER.LMAO Love the neopreans. :rofl2: :rofl2:

Fall2012Steelheading047.jpg

I hear ya Mike, on the mentor and the relationship. My pop and grandfather were mine.

All the best to your uncle.

Im sure the walk did you and Zoey good. :)

Edited by Misfish

Priceless pics of your son Mike. Very nice chrome in the others as well. That boy of yours is certainly following in his old man footsteps including the unmistakable Borger smile. I used to love putting a ear to ear smile on my dads face while up north. Just had to put him on some fish and he was the happiest guy in the world. I miss those days....I still remember when he was reeling up a big muskie spinner bait in Nipissing and right behind it followed in a 50 incher to boat side.An event that no words could decribe.

Cheers !!

Those are some great shots! Like father like son, eh? -- Outstanding fish - bigger than anything I have caught out of a river. Few things compare with the pleasure of watching their eyes light up with a beauty on the other end of the line. Each one for me with G is a PB. On a different note, I share you're introspection - my father in law was just diagnosed with the big C too. Here's wishing things turn out well for you.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle, Mike.

Those are some great shots and beautiful fish :thumbsup_anim:

On a side note, I just love how the search engine works on this site, as soon as I opened your thread, the advertisement at the top was for the band Muse's new album :whistling::D

great pics.

the little guy is better then me

correction and yes I'll admit this here and now. He's better than you and me... So by those odd's (due to replies vs. well; you get my point) and folks not posting that makes it that he's better then a LOT of us! :thumbsup_anim:

I hope all you and yours all the best Mike.

G

Edited by GBW