A look at the past & looking to the future.

adolson

A few months ago I asked my dad what my first fish was and he told me it was a resident brook trout, and told me the exact location I caught it.

What I didn't know was that he took pictures of my earliest fishing trips, and my mom had them in an album. She brought my childhood photo albums to me this weekend at my request, and I got a big surprise while leafing through the pages. Here are a few of the pics, from Spring 1984.

Fishing on the rocks:

556850_10151330680165928_2086066650_n.jpg

My first fish - my first brook trout:

556850_10151330680180928_251015746_n.jpg

I was only 2 years old at that time. In June of '84 I took my first ride in a Sportspal, and while I can only see a tiny piece of the gunwale and wooden transom, I am very sure this is one of the two Sportspals that I currently own. It was originally purchased in 1968 or 1969 at Giant Tiger by my grandfather, Cliff, who passed away earlier this year. I showed my dad the pictures tonight and he also thinks it is my 12 footer, as I bought it from my grandpa last summer.

My first canoe ride:

556850_10151330680190928_675836532_n.jpg

My mom was bringing my albums so I could compare my baby pictures to my first and only child, a son, born on November 19th.

His name is Caius Channing Clifford Peter Olson. We already have a tiny lifejacket for him. I just need to find a small Shimano rod and reel for him, and we're all set. None of those junk $10 rods for my kid.

198411_10151325100600928_1280647668_n.jpg

Here he's probably dreaming of fishing, and judging by the expressions he was making, he probably lost a trout right at the boat. Oh well, we'll get the next one, buddy!

248951_10151329716825928_253225268_n.jpg

I can't wait for him to catch his first fish. I'm going to fish the spot I caught my first this spring and see if they're still in there. If they are, I'm going to take him there so his first fish can be a speck, just like daddy.

And I will also take him in my 12 foot Sportspal for his first canoe ride. Just like daddy.

Thanks, everyone!

I have a couple ice rods and I thought about using them for him, but wasn't sure if they were long enough really. And they're just Berkley rods... Maybe good enough, though. We'll see!

I hope he does out-fish me ASAP! I can steer the trolling motor and he can pull in the fish. Teamwork.

Nipfisher, I will update my profile pic sometime. Just for you. haha.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Great thread Dana. Keep those picture safe. Later on in life, they're worth gold.

Thanks for the advice. I may invest in a little fireproof safe for pictures and other sentimental things we never want to lose.