No Kill

kemper

Truth is there are far too many yahoos fishing the "tribs" in southern Ontario. You want to see just how bad? Just going hurrying along the river bank, muttering to all that you pass, 'the CO's just showed up'. Amazing to see how many pack up and scurry away. There is no effective enforcement beyond token appearances. Adding another layer of restrictions and regulations will not change a thing.

Watched that happen last week on a popular Huron river. Walked downstream to find some peace, caught some fish, walked back up to where a buddy was and there was maybe 25% of the original crowd left. I asked where everyone went - the CO's made an appearance and a bunch of bottom feeders took off.

Watched that happen last week on a popular Huron river. Walked downstream to find some peace, caught some fish, walked back up to where a buddy was and there was maybe 25% of the original crowd left. I asked where everyone went - the CO's made an appearance and a bunch of bottom feeders took off.

The best thing about No Kill sections on particular stretches of river is that it's just not the CO's making sure people aren't taking fish. It's all the other anglers as well..

The best thing about No Kill sections on particular stretches of river is that it's just not the CO's making sure people aren't taking fish. It's all the other anglers as well..

Agreed, I actually made a trip to your local haunt Saturday, water was coming up in a hurry though.

I would strongly support no kill, no live bait, single barbless hooks only zone like we currently have on certain rivers, but only on certain stretches. But not a complete no kill everywhere.

But what I would like to see most is lower limits in zone 16. Nothing wrong with keeping a few but too many people treat our rivers like a grocery store.

It would be interesting to see what no kill CR rivers and lakes look like in terms of catch rates before and after regs are set. Just as an experiment. Out west I believe they have lakes that limit access to public (limit effort not kill). There are a few sanctuary lakes in the province where you can see how amazingly good fishing can be but I've never seen this on rivers excluding Portage Creek. Most sanctuaries are up north and remote.

It would be interesting to see what no kill CR rivers and lakes look like in terms of catch rates before and after regs are set. Just as an experiment. Out west I believe they have lakes that limit access to public (limit effort not kill). There are a few sanctuary lakes in the province where you can see how amazingly good fishing can be but I've never seen this on rivers excluding Portage Creek. Most sanctuaries are up north and remote.

The Notty has a No Kill section from the confluence of the Boyne river down to Angus. Has done wonders for that fishery, perfect example of how No Kill works.

no, not at all...no way i would back 100% no kill,but like moosbunk said for areas of concern,reduced limits or all c&a but i think the key is to make sure its a sustainable resource,or in lakes that are stocked like the put & take fisheries go for it take fish home,but we as anglers must do whats right,and make sure we protect what we have and we should all practice sustainable harvest,or at the very least make sure the spawners go back and keep a few for the table....and the number one thing is to practice safe handling of all fish that are to be released as to cut down on the mortality.....it would go along ways to help the fisheries...educate the masses about the states of certain fisheries and the impact that negative practices can have on them..... :worthy::good:

Fish farmed fish tastes like alfalfa, and, probably has some amount of antibiotics that we don't need, leave it alone, you sound like one of the ones where beef is grown at the back of the supermarket.

This is very far from the truth. Ontario's aquaculture industry is one of the best in the world, and most of our fish farmers are very responsible with their practices. Have you eaten an Ontario farmed trout lately? Anyone who thinks they can tell the difference is lying to themselves.

True, there are MANY examples of bad aquaculture around the world. The key is to know where your fish comes from, and what it was fed. Tilapia for example, is a fish that should be avoided at all costs unless you know exactly where it came from. I'll give you a hint, the answer is often China.

The Notty has a No Kill section from the confluence of the Boyne river down to Angus. Has done wonders for that fishery, perfect example of how No Kill works.

Agreed, the number of fish in the "eater size" range in that system is astounding.

out of curiosity, how did you come to the conclusion that there has been an "over-harvest" of trout and salmon this year?

Take a walk along the shore of a Gbay or Huron trib and see for yourself. Or hang out for the day and watch people take limit after limit back to the car, campsite, trailer, etc.

It's pretty clear that humans can't be trusted to do anything sustainably, and this seems to be no different.

Again for the record I have no problem with sustainable harvest of any fish, the key word there being sustainable. I would think the hunters out there would raise hell if in that system you could get away with going out every day and blasting a deer without any chance of repercussion.

A for a no kill policy - No.

To say "no kill" is the same as banning fishing for a species. There is no possible way for one to guarantee a released fish survives the stress and exhaustion from the fight.

So true. We like to think we did our best to revive them properly but the is no guarantee that they will not died is the next couple of days. And for those that don't take the time for help the fish to revive, should have just kept it. Obviously certain fish will bounce back better then others and time of year (water temps) play a big role.

no no and no

once you take the harvest out of fishing, many p3ta type say it is just torturing fish for pleasure.

in Europe they have catch and kill only in some countries because of pressure from these fringe groups

Absolutely!! The last thing I want is for our heritage of fishing to become a catch a kill one. Can't imagine going perch fishing and killing everyone I caught up to my limit or any other species for that matter. Selective harvest.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT we have some closet P3TA folks among us...they, might not even realize it themselves... :whistling:

95% of the time the reason you have poor population of fish and the lack of good fishing is NOT because of ANGLER fishing but many environmental factors instead...some we understand and many we don't. And then out of the blue, the problems correct themselves and we have a bumper crop of walleye, bass, crappie, etc......and then the cycle repeats itself after a couple of good years...

By doing away with keeping any fish, you will no doubt lower the amount of fishermen and they are the ones FUNDING many of the programs to increase populations of fish in your area.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT we have some closet P3TA folks among us...they, might not even realize it themselves... :whistling:

95% of the time the reason you have poor population of fish and the lack of good fishing is NOT because of ANGLER fishing but many environmental factors instead...some we understand and many we don't. And then out of the blue, the problems correct themselves and we have a bumper crop of walleye, bass, crappie, etc......and then the cycle repeats itself after a couple of good years...

By doing away with keeping any fish, you will no doubt lower the amount of fishermen and they are the ones FUNDING many of the programs to increase populations of fish in your area.

I get it Billy Bob, natural factors are always at play. I'm not sure I agree with the 95%, there are lots of examples of fishery collapse due to over-fishing (commercial and sport alike).

From what I gather the majority would not support a no kill - that's understandable, I like eating the buggers too. There does seem to be some interest in altering the regulation system though. Of course, we all know that disaster what would cause...

I think the biggest difference between today and our "heritage" is the sheer number of angler and commercial pressure on the stocks.

Has anyone noticed the impact of the 2010 opening of ice fishing in the Kawarthas? I noticed almost immediately that panfish were smaller, I wonder how many good sized fish went home in white buckets the past 2 winters...

Again, problem is not with ice fishing OR keeping fish but maybe we need to rethink the limits - 300 sunfish, 30 crappie, 50 perch seems crazy to me...

Who in there right mind would ever wanna fillet 300 sunfish? LOL!

I think No Kill has it's place.. certain rivers, certain times, certain sections along with things like selective harvest... If we make sure the fishery is kept healthy, there should be zero impact when someone wants 2 for the table.