Now the time to buy a Chevy VOLT

Billy Bob

Chev Volt is about 10 years behind as honda and toyota tried the market about 10yrs ago I believe the people will not spend the money we are way to power hungry look at our boats! 300hp Outboards and 500hp Cars straight from factory cmon save a little all we need is half that power and as for fuel and oil my opinion there's enough oil its just the new way money money money my two sense

No wonder GM can't make ends meet, they have to give them away. Something about business they don't understand. Secondly, you have to plug it in and the way the price of electricity is going it doesn't make sense. Somehow this reminds me of some of their other fiascos, Olds Firenza, 6.5 GM diesel, Olds 350 diesel, Corvair, and probably a few more if I think a bit.

No wonder GM can't make ends meet, they have to give them away. Something about business they don't understand. Secondly, you have to plug it in and the way the price of electricity is going it doesn't make sense. Somehow this reminds me of some of their other fiascos, Olds Firenza, 6.5 GM diesel, Olds 350 diesel, Corvair, and probably a few more if I think a bit.

Can't make ends meet? 2011 was a record profit year for them. With the price of gasoline, it doesn't make much sense to buy a camaro, either.

All 3 major domestic brands have an extensive list of vehicles that were colossal failures.

Major automotive publications are giving the Volt very good reviews, and I'm starting to see them around fairly frequently.

I like it! and if they will sell me one for 30k @ >1% I'll sign tomorrow.

I spend around 300/mo in fuel just around town.

Well lets see how far you get..

With the extended range Volt, you don’t have to choose between electric or gas. You have the option of both. First is the advanced lithium–ion battery that allows you to drive gas-free for an EPA-estimated 38 miles.(about 60km) But Volt doesn’t stop there.

Then you switch back to gas.

Really..hope that's not their version of cutting edge technology, that wouldn't get me half way to Toronto.

They are a feature packed car but as a new GM vehicle it would be best to lease it and if it is a good car buy it out, if not give it back to GM. The gas powered electric motor is the best use of an electric technology as it allows for the distances that are common in Canada. I'm not sure they are discounting them here however.

In Ontario your best alternative fuel approach is still propane conversion. Virtually any vehicle you want to drive and fuel at half the price. The province pretty much pays for the conversion in a subsidy and over the long haul propane promotes much longer powertrain life.

ends have met, they made billions last year

they neglect to mention the batteries in the cars only last approx. 5 years or so, and cost a good chunk of change to dispose, and are about 5k to replace i believe was last i heard. u pay more with an electric car. waste of money and just stupid really.

I'm happy driving my moms mazda 3 and dads bmw 335i on occasion.. Until I have to fill the thing up with 91 octane :wallbash: I think that maybe these electric hybrid cars are the cars of the future, but if you look at them right now, they cost a lot to run, picture this, you could buy a used bmw/benz/audi for the same price as one of these volt's new, and get a better, cooler car overall, and it would cost the same to run pretty much anyways. If imports arn't your thing, then you could buy one hell of a nice truck used for the same price as one of these.

I just don't see how anyone would want to drive one, considering how much of a pain in the butt they are right now. Maintenance is probably another issue, expensive parts, etc.

I know I don't really have any numbers/facts to back any of this up, but I consider myself a car enthusiast, and roughly know how hybrids/electrics stack up against little turbo I4/ I6 cars

EDIT: this is if you don't include this whole 'environmentally friendly' phase we're going through right now. If that's your concern, then yeah maybe look at buying a hybrid/electric I guess. It's just not my thing though.

Edited by northernpike56

I think my grandpa drove an oldsmobile firenze in the 80's, lol. Horrible little thing apperently.

never mind the little cars,they also have amazing deals on 2012 trucks right now i just got a brand new 2012 chevy silverado,fully loaded 0.99% over 84 months,its insane....so ya now is the time to buy for sure,even the new chevy cruze is an amazing car and yes they are almost giving them away too.... :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

a TDI VW costs about $5000 more here in Canada, than a gas model, do the math and see how long it takes to make up that $5k in fuel savings

It's not just the engine you're paying extra for, the TDI's always have a premium package attached to them as well. Well worth it if you ask me. Figure diesel is about 10cents per litre cheaper then gas as of now, also add in the mileage comparisons and it doesn't take long to save 5k over the long haul.