New PB, Just a 52" From Shore....Fall Giants.

ProFishermanJones

Sweet fish and a big congrats to you. The more you catch, the better and faster you get with the release. It is a learning experience and it applies equally to me. After each catch, I kinda look back over what I did and what I may have been able to do differently - if anything. I'm sure even the "pro's" have a difficult release here and there. Bashing a fisherman is not a positive learning experience for the angler and is not what we should be doing on this site - or any other. Anyway, congrats on such a great catch. :clapping:

Wonderful fish. Congrats!!

What a shame that people are leery of posting pics and videos here. I am close to not posting future pics myself.

How you land, handle, and release fish, unless outright and intentionally malicious, should not be criticized.

Think about how we go after these fish:

1) Huge lures, usually with three large, razor sharp, hooks.

2) Hooks are seldom debarbed.

3) Line is typically braided (no stretch), and nearly capable of pulling a truck out of a ditch.

4) Rods that resemble pool cues.

5) A typical hook set that would turn smaller fish inside out.

All of the above could easily result in ripped lips, damaged gills, torn eyes, and torn flesh.

Yet, once they are in the boat, we are supposed to don surgical masks, sterile gloves, and have oxygen tanks handy??

I got criticized for taking a pic of a fish on the deck of my boat as slime may come off. How about the slime coming off on the net? How about the slime coming off from the gloves that make it easier to hold? How about the slime all over your shirt, sleeves, pants etc while you got the fish ready for a good pic?

I release the vast majority of my fish. I try to get a quick pic (doesn't have to be perfect) and get it back in the water. I revive it if necessary, and always stick around to make sure it has stayed down.

God forbid someone confess to eating one.

There....got it off my chest, but I needed to say it.

Wow, awesome fish! Incredible that it was from shore as well, way to go! :thumbsup_anim:

That's a fish of a lifetime for most diehard boat anglers, let alone shore pounders!

As far as the net goes, if you've got one that is perfectly suited for the majority of the sizes you're expecting or likely to catch, then I'd think you'd be considered prepared. If you luck upon something truly unexpected, well you just have to make do the best you can with the health of the fish in mind. It's a good thing it wasn't a 60" fish, or you would have needed a crane to haul it up! :P

You're enthusiasm is contagious!

Congrats.

Congrats on the PB - that was a monster.

Tip on Go Pro - record in the highest res (HD) and you won't get that fisheye effect. Plus, if you are not going to be submerging in the water, go ahead, and change the rear casing of the camera with the one with vents. That way we can hear the audio nice and clear. Food for thought.

Miro

What a shame that people are leery of posting pics and videos here. I am close to not posting future pics myself.

How you land, handle, and release fish, unless outright and intentionally malicious, should not be criticized.

3) Line is typically braided (no stretch), and nearly capable of pulling a truck out of a ditch.

All of the above could easily result in ripped lips, damaged gills, torn eyes, and torn flesh.

Yet, once they are in the boat, we are supposed to don surgical masks, sterile gloves, and have oxygen tanks handy??

I got criticized for taking a pic of a fish on the deck of my boat as slime may come off. How about the slime coming off on the net? How about the slime coming off from the gloves that make it easier to hold? How about the slime all over your shirt, sleeves, pants etc while you got the fish ready for a good pic?

I release the vast majority of my fish. I try to get a quick pic (doesn't have to be perfect) and get it back in the water. I revive it if necessary, and always stick around to make sure it has stayed down.

Right on brother - know exactly what you mean. Not that I have been criticized yet but don't care if I do, moving forward. And I confess I eat my fish when I want to.

I sent you a pm trying to gently pursuad you to not lay musky on carpet... And it was more about your safety then anything else... That big musky decides to go crazy and a lot of bad things can happen...

I was in no way aggressive about my suggestion nor did I push it on you... Just tried to educate you so more fish survive... And less angler get injured... That's what most of us want...

It's called constructive criticism..... For the greater good of our fisheries... If you ignore this critisism that's your choice...

I also sent a pm so a musky handling battle wouldn't break out... Again...

Critisism isn't always a bad thing... I've learnt a few things from members here SLAMMING me.... And some gently pursuaded me... And these lessons have helped me in day to day life....

Try to take advice from those willing to give it in a calm cool manner... You may learn a thing or two

I sent you a pm trying to gently pursuad you to not lay musky on carpet... And it was more about your safety then anything else... That big musky decides to go crazy and a lot of bad things can happen...

I was in no way aggressive about my suggestion nor did I push it on you... Just tried to educate you so more fish survive... And less angler get injured... That's what most of us want...

It's called constructive criticism..... For the greater good of our fisheries... If you ignore this critisism that's your choice...

I also sent a pm so a musky handling battle wouldn't break out... Again...

Critisism isn't always a bad thing... I've learnt a few things from members here SLAMMING me.... And some gently pursuaded me... And these lessons have helped me in day to day life....

Try to take advice from those willing to give it in a calm cool manner... You may learn a thing or two

Let me worry about my safety....I've been doing just fine fishing over the last 40 years.

Edited by bigcreekdad

Tip on Go Pro - record in the highest res (HD) and you won't get that fisheye effect. Plus, if you are not going to be submerging in the water, go ahead, and change the rear casing of the camera with the one with vents. That way we can hear the audio nice and clear. Food for thought.

Miro

Resolution has nothing to do with the field of view that fisheye lens has.. Increasing it or decreasing won't help..