Leaders for Pike

This topic got started on Mike Solo's Dusey trip thread, so I'm posting here rather than hijacking.

I have always been reluctant to use steel leaders when fishing for bass or walleye and there are pike around. ( I have never targetted pike). I have the impression that a steel leader interferes a bit with the action of the lure and could be visible to the fish. In the last few years I have not used any special leader for pike and have rarely had a pike bite off the mono. A couple of weeks ago I was in the Nakina area. I caught quite a few pike and had just one cut the line right at the boat.

I'm interested in hearing if you use the newer fluro leaders. I understand that they are quite resistant to being bitten off by pike, but I find that a bit hard to comprehend, given that they are plastic. Your comments? thx

With flouro the idea is that you can use a higher test line that is less visible than the equivalent lb test mono. Depending on the size and action of your lure the action may not be impacted too much.

I have also used a coated "tieable" wire line when I am fishing walleye but pike are a real possibility. I think it works better for walleye lures and presentations then heavier flouro.

I like braid and use it a lot but I find it does not stand up to teeth and rocks as well as its lb test would lead you to believe. It's break strength is great but its abrasion resistance more closely matches its diameter. Wire/flouro leader and even mono sometimes works for me.

i'm using 40 lb flouro leader material with heavy swivels and snap swivels to make my own leaders for a fraction of the cost of ready made.

bass pro has offshore angler saltwater flourocarbon leader material in 25m spools. the leaders on all 4 rods i've been running this year still look brand new after a bunch of pike so i'll be sticking with this line.

while out tossing big streamers for bass on my fly rod I watched a 30" pike take the fly without even noticing the 60lb fluoro leader, perhaps thats because he sliced it in half like it was butter :(

i used to use steel but it sucks to cast. not sure what to do now.

I generally tie on about 4 ft of fluorocarbon (spelling? to my braid and that's all I'd use. But two years ago on the French I had a fish bite off 60 lb.Seaguar leader material. Now I still use the 4 ft but tie a 12 " tungsten leader on the end. Not for my bass or perch set ups but just for the Pike rig.

For pike, I tie leaders with 40 lb Malin 7 strand that I get from Bass Pro. It's an uncoated wire, so it's reasonably fine. It's a cheap solution, you get to use your favourite swivels and snaps, (I like Berkley Easy Snaps). I haven't had a failure. For really big fish, I use 100 or 130 lb flouro, but don't tie those myself.

For Bass, I have started using 20 lb flouro, and like that it doesn't kink, and it's really fast to tie.

i'm using 40 lb flouro leader material with heavy swivels and snap swivels to make my own leaders for a fraction of the cost of ready made.

bass pro has offshore angler saltwater flourocarbon leader material in 25m spools. the leaders on all 4 rods i've been running this year still look brand new after a bunch of pike so i'll be sticking with this line.

X2. I use the same line.

I tie my own leaders using high quality swivel snaps, and metal crimps. Very cheap. I've have the same leader on my pike for for a full season (Likely 50+ Pike), and is still looks brand new.

As you can see by the responses, not even fluoro is bite proof. There is no replacement for wire. Particularly on baits that the fish tend to 'swallow' like the soft plastics.

I tie my own leaders after being bit off with 40lb flouro I bought 50 & now 60lb, Big Jim once told me he used 80lb bought leaders & has up that to 130lb at times, depends on the size of the lures, you don't want to over power them, I still have Steel & Titanium Leaders for quick hook ups if I'm Bass fishing & there seems to be a lot of Pike or Musky around, Pike lures maybe aren't that expensive but I really don't want to leave a lure in a Pike or any fish if it can be avoided, when you get bit off just up your line size until that doesn't happen any more, to start a few buddies bought a different size spool each & then bought what worked best, saved some money

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

Pike aren't picky, I haven't seen one that was leader shy yet. Big flouro leaders or titanium (That won't kink).. No point in donating lures to those tooth critters.

Yep. I usually run braid to steel when I'm specifically fishing esox. Pike DO.NOT.CARE.

I currently use 100# Flouro on my musky rods = 18"/24" in length. Of course, sometimes you can't keep the pike off the lures. I check the leader carefully after each catch to make sure there are no nicks or bite marks that could weaken it and cause the loss of a really nice fish. I used to use steel leaders, but after one fish, they can get bent up pretty bad. I also tried Titanium leaders as well, but they can get a bit pricey.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I've never had a musky bite through 100lb flouro...

On a side note... I boated 20+ musky while fishing walleye last year... With 10lb power pro and 20lb mono leader... Didn't get bit of once last year...

However... Pike tend to inhale baits a bit more then musky...

Edited by Musky Mike