Trespassing In GAR Country!

Moosebunk

Alrighty then... from the past... as CrocSocks it was and always will be. The beginning of an end with the Gar Lords and the making of the martyr. Exiled, but on to a new and better age. To be found forever, "Trespassing In Gar Country," from that day and beyond.

CrocSocks1.jpg

CrocSocks2.jpg[/i]

So I luv the gars ya know!!!?

Fished the gar a few years now and gotta say I'm wickedly hooked on these wily toothied-grinners. Definitely for me one of those more appreciated fish and anticipated styles of fishing.

The little things you can tweak, having the right timing and opportunities, and experimenting, breeds better experiences on the water during the short windows found to fish gar. Sharing with family and friends any chance I get, makes even the average 48-incher fish days from in the boat a totally rewarding and memorable time. With my season coming to a close, it's cool to pull it altogether into a report which today pretty well leaves me in awe.

Spring12-073a.jpg

Spring12-069b.jpg

Spring12-071a.jpg

Kicked off the season trespassing with my buddy Carl. "The Gouin," as he's nicknamed, confessed to me a few years back that he had for some time wanted desperately to fish gar but, just hadn't found the chance. Well, being that the Stealth Bomber comes to fish freely for such things, it was only right that the man's wishes be brought to life.

That first day with the Gouin I was witness to probably the most excitable and trigger happy gar angler I have ever fished with. One couldn't help but be into his energy, and it was all fun to the finish on this day. PB and total pleasure!!!

Spring12-066.jpg

Spring12-067.jpg

Spring12-070.jpg

Next dood interested in some trespassing was Mikey. A chance to talk about upcoming trips and for him to blow off trout for a change, he was more than willing to switch plans and jump in for a gar ride. Didn't take Mike long at all to get his first and second, but little did he know he was in for something special with his third...

Spring12-075.jpg

Spring12-074.jpg

We moved a big fish from some skinny water and as it made it's way offshore we followed behind. Mike tried a few casts to it at first, but as it swam out further I couldn't help but get involved. Two different baits, fish in site and seemingly oblivious to us sneaking behind, we both whipped out three casts apiece when the gar made a decision to strike Mike's lure as it passed the snout. In just his first hours of gar fishing... he CRUSHED it!!! Well done man, amazing PB!!!

Spring12-082.jpg

Spring12-083.jpg

Spring12-084.jpg

Mikey's own CrocSocks made my fifty-incher on the day look like a little chump!

Spring12-079.jpg

Next trip out was a solo assault trespassing in a new area. The day was cooler and the fish a little more scarce, but the Bomber found a few willing beauties to come over the gunnels.

Spring12-087.jpg

Spring12-088a.jpg

Spring12-089.jpg

The Gouin had the bug in him now and was longing for a round two with the toothied grinners. Chomping at the bit to trespass again, I had to open the gate for him. His morning being action packed with stuff at home, he planned to meet up with me a little after the noon hour. OK then... so off I went to find some fish and maybe drive a hook into one before he arrived.

Spring12-096.jpg

Spring12-092.jpg

That having worked out pretty solid for me, once Carl showed it was all up to him. This trip out a more calm, collected and focused gar hunting Carl did step aboard The Bomber. When he caught site of what would be his PB fish, he made no mistake.

Spring12-094.jpg

I finished the day enjoying a couple more too.

Spring12-093.jpg

Spring12-097.jpg

There was another solo trespass logged next that reads, 47", 48", 49" (14.11) & 50" (13.1) but I guess it was an off day with the timer pics as the only two photos I kept didn't make good enough for the report.

A year ago my dad trespassed with me aboard The Bomber and by mid-afternoon reeled himself in his first ever gar and own PB, 52-inch, 16lb, 6oz'er. It was a hot day of fishing in many respects, and I have loved how since that time spent, the pic of him with his gar has remained on my parents fridge at home.

DadGar.jpg

Well, the trespassing with dad this year was a little different as the conditions were much tougher. We worked much of the day in tight areas with difficult to spot or spooky fish. It wasn't ti'll nearing the end of our time that I chased out a cruiser which gave us enough chances to finally put it in the boat. A fine four foot fish really, for the efforts.

Spring12-110.jpg

The next outing was most definitely a favorite as Summer agreed to go trespassing with her dad. Gar fishing for her is pretty much the perfect fit as she is oftentimes content to be much like her mother, a quiet observer... That is until she becomes excited about something.

Just the two of us, she packed a couple books and after growing tired of the hunt, retired into some world of young zombie versus vampire love and war. I kept on the look-out for the real demons though.

Upon hooking the first fish she was up on the bow in a flash to reel it in. That's when things took on a whole new level of awesome!!! That's when quiet Summer turned excited.

Spring12-111.jpg

Spring12-115.jpg

Spring12-113.jpg

And after the fish did poopzilla on her calf and down into her flip-flop, she happily laughed about it while washing up, then dove back into Zombieland.

Spring12-116.jpg

But, I wouldn't allow this bookwormin' for long before having to check her back into reality with another skinny but stretched out 48-incher.

Spring12-117.jpg

Summer's and my day "Trespassing In Gar Country," is a great memory for me, and these fishing pics are true gems worthy of stealing for the family album.

Next two back-to-back outings had Grant aboard for a day then an old highschool buddy Steve. Although it had seemed awhile for ole Grant and I, it had been probably about five years with Steve.

The first outing with a healed Grant we drilled hooks into a number of fish and actually had a couple double-headers. One chaotic double in particular, almost had us two large fish aboard at the same time, but it just didn't work out. We were still high-fiving even with the missed opportunity. Understand, for gar I don't get out the net at all anymore and actually haven't all year. So, at some point when reaching down to grab Grant's fish, mine came off the line in the process. Log still shows we did alright with four over 48-inches and one 51 plus. Historically, he and I usually find a way to git'er done!!!

Stevie's day out was exceptional. The fishing was actually quite tough due to big clouds rolling in and out and much more breeze than expected, but we happily slogged through. By days end what was really great for me was to see this old friend whom quite enjoys fishing (but is so busy in his life) shed years of rust, and rather quickly find his own fishing confidence again. He beamed a bright smile all day and really seemed pleased at this chance to fish gar. I was reminded why years can go by between him and I, and we can still hang out together like we used to as teens in our workplace, on the golf course, out camping or doing whatever. Steve's just all good and that has never changed.

Spring12-123.jpg

Spring12-125b.jpg

Spring12-126a.jpg

Spring12-128.jpg

Spring12-132.jpg

Spring12-130.jpg

If the older Valley gar reports were still alive with Fish-Hawk, there's one lad you'd see or read of time and again during those earliest days. Yet, there in the F-H gallery though, one can still find Patty, the MuskieMagnet, showing off with what are the first pics of the biggest of gar. Seemingly always aboard his Lund in those times, some old members out with Pat can be found in pictures taken from his boat too. Really, as far as gar fishing in the Valley is concerned, during our online era, the dood is likely the pioneer whom from his kindness opened some of our eyes and lead a number of people to their first experiences with the fish. Since I've known him personally, he has always been willing to share in great fishing and comes by being the "Magnet" honestly, as he's not only a magnet for muskie, but of many other fish as well. He has a drive and a knack for catching the big ones, and one can respect Pat as he fishes for all the right reasons.

PattyGar2.jpg

PattyGar.jpg

Because Patty's Lund had become my favorite over time, he came aboard my very own and similar Lund for a day. We caught fish but no fish pics of Patty were taken. Maybe he didn't want to be caught trespassing, or maybe under 50's just weren't worthy... We'll certainly do it again.

Spring12-158.jpg

Spring12-145.jpg

When home was up North I'd spend more than a fair share of time fishing alone. It never bothered me in the least. In fact, as great as it is to spend time fishing with others, a healthy balance still involves good doses of solitude.

With no distractions, that's the time to tune all of yourself into just the fish and environment. In my opinion, it's an important way to experience and learn.

The final day for gar this season I was not expecting favorable conditions, but was quite surprised once on the water. At first fish were tough to find and sloggin' through the weeds was a pain, but when I finally located a pocket of gar the day turned out to be a rather great one.

My Go-Pro battery dead, the fun video stuff I had planned was scrapped. After I got a first solid fish on my usual gear, I decided that unless I see one of the true giants swimming about, the rest of the time was going to be dedicated to fly-fishing.

A little rusty it slowly came back. I had brought some tiny splits to help the bulky fly slowly sink a little easier. The extra bit of weight helped with casting too. Within a couple hours I managed to fool four gar into taking the stripped streamer. Two fish in particular; a more rare and cool lookin' blackie and a fish I caught while walking the shore with tripod and rod, were my favorite of the afternoon to photograph. It's always rewarding to take fish on the fly, especially when they are your flies and you're not really much of a fly fisherman.

Spring12-160.jpg

Spring12-159.jpg

Spring12-161.jpg

Spring12-103a.jpg

Are gar worth a go??? Most definitely!!! In just a short time I can see doors starting to open and attitudes changing towards gar fishing. Some day ahead to be "Trespassing In Gar Country," will all be forgotten. Until then though, I'll continue creeping through the shallows enjoying the fishing...

Bunk

Awesome! Spectacular! I'm dumbfounded! I'd be happy to boat just of those beauties!

While I've had many "Gar" strikes over the years while targeting other species I've never kept one tagged long enough to land it.

It's on my bucket list Drew and if I can do it with the fly rod I'll be totally pumped! thumbsup_anim.gif

You've got me stoked and I know where to find them. ;)

Thanks for sharing this. clapping.gif

Moosebunk - awesome report, even more spectacular are your photos. I took a peek at the EXIF data and noticed you use the same Lumix camera as I do. I've always been a Panasonic fan, but you're doing something with your camera that I'm not .... my photos don't "pop" like yours do. Are you doing any post-shoot processing to get that sharpness and vividness? They really look great!

Wow, if you would ever consider guiding out your services let me know. It would cross 2 things off my bucket list 1) I want to catch a gar. 2) I want my girlfriend to catch a fish she would call a dinosaur (gar, sturgeon etc) but pretty much be big enough that she has problems lifting it out of the water.