Spring Pike Report

Djeep

hey everyone , been trying to land a pike for some time now. I have only ever had one on and it was a fluke. the thing hit a wakey set up and with no leader easily broke the line. I have had some follow(4) down in the harbors(whitby / osh) but nothing ever took . just wondering what they are going after in the spring time . I think i have tried everything. and when i say try i mean like 8 hours in a day straight then again the next day . Im not looking for honey holes or anything like that maybe just what time of day may be better? any help would be great . Another few weeks till i can hit the trailer in the kawarthas and start pulling in bass.

thanks guys

a few more months before you can touch bass

hey everyone , been trying to land a pike for some time now. I have only ever had one on and it was a fluke. the thing hit a wakey set up and with no leader easily broke the line. I have had some follow(4) down in the harbors(whitby / osh) but nothing ever took . just wondering what they are going after in the spring time . I think i have tried everything. and when i say try i mean like 8 hours in a day straight then again the next day . Im not looking for honey holes or anything like that maybe just what time of day may be better? any help would be great . Another few weeks till i can hit the trailer in the kawarthas and start pulling in bass.

thanks guys

Pike is closed until May in FMZ20

Bass isn't open until the 3rd Sat in June in FMZ15.

Keep an eye on the regs or you'll be looking at some stiff fines for fishing OOS.

You could go cast some hardware for steelhead at this time of the year (Credit, Ganny, etc)

Whitby harbour and maybe oshawa as well are both zone 17, meaning pike are actually open. Check the regs. Use jerkbaits with really long pauses in <10 feet of water. They're usually pretty plentiful this time of year.

All of Lake O is zone 20.

I didnt want to say anything but it does "appear" to be outside the zone 20 line.

That being said i have called the mnr or talked to a co in person when i have had a gray area question.

I would hate to be in the wrong for something like that.

Nice catching Pump :)

PUMP KNOWS............

1. how to show everybody his fishing spots

2. how let a fish roll around in the grass and net for way too long

3. the improper way to practice catch and release

Is this really called for??

1. Fishing an inner harbour is hardly a secret fishing spot ?

2. Would it be preferred to have the fish roll around on the pavement? Can you enlighten us on the rule/regulation that determines "too long"?

3. He caught, released and the fish swam away. What is improper here? Again, the rule/regulation that defines "improper" would be beneficial.

Sheesh

Edited by pikeslayer

We go exclusively for Pike on a small lake every 2 years in upper NY state. The early season go to lure there is a Husk Jerk with a burnt orange upper body. Rappala used to make a Husky Jerk floating lure, that was deadly. Jerk, wait, jerk, wait the jerk until it rose to the surface and bam, fish on. I love to use a top water in the shallow bays where they sit and rest post spawn. They are tired after spawning so slow and slower is the key for me. As soon as the water gets warmer go deeper for the big Mamas. Red has always been a go to colour for Northerns this time of year. Slow retrieve an old school Red Daredevil.

I just watched the last video and it wasnt the prettiest c&r but at least it went back.

It does help when you can get them back asap with as little stress as possible, but it takes practice to be good at handling a toothy gator.

Having the right tools like spreaders and long needlenose pliers and even boltcutters when necessary can save a lot of fish.

I cant say the first few pike i handled were done to perfection but after 20 years im getting the hang of it.

Thank you Pikeslayer.

I always try my best when handling fish. Sometimes I take a little longer when trying to get the fish unhooked but I always make sure the fish kick out and swim away unharmed.

This is my first time targeting pike and to be honest, I'm afraid of its teeth and having to unhook all the trebles. I also don't try and attempt to hold a pike because I know one thrash the fish will drop on the floor.

As you can see in the last vid, I was hustling to get the fish unhooked and to get it back in the water.

Theirs always room for improvement.

I'm afraid of its teeth and having to unhook all the trebles.

I couldn't see the video but if your not using long nosed pliers you should get a set. Best thing in the world for keeping your hands away from the teeth and hooks.

A good set of hook cutters is must also if you get into big fish and can't get the hooks out.

What I don't get is how the new young angler needs a picture of every fish. You exhaust it, let it flop on the bank until it stays still enough for a picture, and a terrible picture at that. Whats so great about a fish lying on the ground covered in mud and grass? A real wall framer right there! All of its protective slime comes off, its completely stressed and the chances of it dying after release becomes higher. Just because it swims away doesn't mean it lives.

Gotta get pics to post it on facebook, instagram, twitter, text etc.

Why don't you net the fish and keep it in the water while unhooking it. Get your buddy to have his camera ready, two three quick shots and then back it goes???

The pike choked on the lure and I had to unhook it behind its gills.

If you watch the video @4:20, you can hear me say "We don't need a picture".

I know it's pregnant and it rolled around in the grass... Yes I was concerned and if you listen I wanted to rush and get it back in the water.

I made a bad call and waited for the pictures to be taken....it's my bad.

The NF stuff is fun, but I like fish pics/ reports.

If guys keep getting flack they get ticked off and don't post. This is a fishing forum after all.

Keep calm and chive on!

oh yeah, good thread and nice pikes!

Edited by chris.brock

ding ding here comes the catch and release police.

Pump I would suggest doing a bit of reading on how to properly handle pike, specifically a gill plate hold. Theres plenty online about how to pick the fish up without sticking your hands into the gills, but at the same time avoid their teeth. Practice makes perfect!

As mentioned here a pair of 10 dollar handheld bolt cutters would be a great thing to have especially since you are targeting Ice out pike, which generally are big females. Also never leave home without a pair of long pliers, pike are really aggressive and swallow trebles a lot.

Nice catch though!

Edited by AKRISONER