Spring Pike Report

Djeep

I couldn't see the video but if your not using long nosed pliers you should get a set. Best thing in the world for keeping your hands away from the teeth and hooks.

A good set of hook cutters is must also if you get into big fish and can't get the hooks out.

I'm hoping to purchase them the next time I'm near a hardware store.

Nice Toronto pike there guy... :clapping: and just a FYI if your going to release them anyways you may want to consider going barbless on the hooks...safer for you and better for the fish!

I agree, the only lures i dont debarb are my big muskie lures. Even then ive been buying doubles of stuff i like for both species and debarbing one.

If i ever get to a point where i can catch muskie on a regular basis i may start debarbing those as well.

Maybe a day out with fisherpete will help that ?

Edited by Gallie

The guy caught nice fish, hes excited. Obviously doesnt have a ton of experience.

So lets all gang together and try to get this guy to pick up a new hobby???

He will get better. And have alot of fun doing it! Thats how we all start.

Geez I shutter when I think about catching northerns as a child. Floppin all over the boat because I was too scared to handle them better. Now its a non issue.

He is a tip that was passed on to me along time ago.

Grab a pair of sawfiling gloves. Once you learn how to grab a pike, youll be laughing at how easy it is and you wont need gloves and youll be confident enough to grab any pike straight outta the water.

And grab em on slack line. If they feel that tension thats when they wanna go nutso.

Nice fish and never mind the bashing. Some people here have never EVER mishandled a fish???

^^^

Thank you and thanks for the tip!

I have watched some vids on how to hold a pike by the gill plate but I don't feel confident in holding them that way yet.

Gloves will help me out a lot.

Princess Auto, great place for a whole variety of pliers.

Thanks for the heads up

Nice Toronto pike there guy... :clapping: and just a FYI if your going to release them anyways you may want to consider going barbless on the hooks...safer for you and better for the fish!

Great tip, I'll be pinching barbs on all my pike lures.

Gloves will help me out a lot.

Gloves will help you hold a slimey pike but if by chance a hook goes through the glove and into your hand you'll have a real problem, cause before you can get at the hook you 1st have to get the glove out of the way while an angry fish is shaking on the other end of the hook.

Just something else to keep in mind and the reason for the hook cutters.

Lots to think about with fish with teeth LOL

No teeth or hook is going through sawfiling gloves lew.

Yup, I understand that, I was talking more about the rubber gloves that so many guys use.

Maybe I should type what I'm thinking LOL

Yup, I understand that, I was talking more about the rubber gloves that so many guys use.

Maybe I should type what I'm thinking LOL

Oh yeah lew, rubber or even worse leather. Your asking for a disaster if your not very experienced.

Also, at pump knows.

Practice on small fish if possible. As soon as you grab the pike, get it horizontal with your free hand supporting the belly. They thrash alot less, and hurt the fish less. Also if it does flop free, gravity is more on your side then if the fish is vertical.

Look at proper grabbing techniques. The gill plate is a no no imo. Its just as sharp as the teeth lol.

Get your hand inside as close to the mouth as possible. With confidence and a firm hold. Firm enough that if the fish flops you wont drop it, but not with jazz hands where it shakes abit and you drop it lol.

Yes your fingers will be in its mouth, but it cannot bite you in this position

Just a heads up on gloves. Most protective gloves guard against cuts. They do not protect your hands from hook penetration. You probably won't be able to cut the glove off yourself and in many cases, the walk in clinic you go to may not be equipped to cut it off either. Keep that in mind when choosing a glove.

Here's a few more tips b/c landing and releasing them safely over the breakwalls isn't easy:

Climb down a ladder if you can and unhook in the water or if you need a pic, walk the fish over to a low point and grab it. Try to avoid the net and definitely the ground.

I use 50lb braid and sling up most of the fish by the line (everything low 30" and less). Set your rod in your buddy's hand or ground. Grab the line and pull up quickly as possible and grab the leader. Once you have the leader, grab your fish quick, unhook, and torpedo it back head first. When you sling a fish up by the line, the gills flare open making it easy to get your hand in there quickly (or grab the pike behind the head). Bigger fish need to be revived and I suggest using one of the ladders for this (check ladder for safety first - watch out for rust), or walk the fish in the water to a low point where you can grab it and revive in the water.

I understand these are unconventional methods and a bit risky but I've been doing it for years with little issue. If your gear and terminal tackle are strong, and the fish is hooked well and not huge, you're safe.

I love reading fishing posts but I also think everyone should be selective with the spots they post online, especially the ones so close to millions of people.

Goodluck out there!

Edited by JoshS

Just a heads up on gloves. Most protective gloves guard against cuts. They do not protect your hands from hook penetration. You probably won't be able to cut the glove off yourself and in many cases, the walk in clinic you go to may not be equipped to cut it off either. Keep that in mind when choosing a glove.

Yep good info roy, again though thats why i suggest sawfiling gloves to learn. They will not be penetrated by teeth or hook

It's no wonder there are more NF reports here than fishing reports. The kid is new and he gets blasted for mishandling the fish and talking too much time to take a picture. Going back to when I caught my first pike when Sir John A. was Prime Minister we used to club them on the noggin. They actually sold the Billy Club at CTC. Down in the states I've seen guys shoot them with a handgun, the same went for Musky. I met one old timer back in the 70's that shot a Musky while it was laying on the bottom of an aluminum tinny. You can guess what the result of that was. Things have changed for the better, but don't tell me that anyone that caught their first toothy critter handled it like a pro. I do agree that it is not necessary to take a pic of every fish you catch, we never took pictures unless they were all on a stringer. for many reasons. But I actually read somewhere on a forum, if there isn't a picture it was never caught. Bull.

Pump, you just go and keep fishing and reporting back with your catches here. Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not repeating them. I remember reading something some where, " He who is without sin may he cast the first stone."

By the way Pump, Pike can't get pregnant, that made me smile.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Here is a walleye pic. Yes I am wearing mechanic gloves with the index finger cut off because it was just at the end of winter.

You can see those teeth, and my fingers are right beside them. The fish cannot bite you in this position.

April112012walleye011.jpg

Who cares if walleye bite you? The teeth are round and don't really hurt. Pike on the other hand..... EYOWCH!

How to catch pike: find edge of weed bed, troll edge of weedbed with white spinner bait. Set hook. Wash rinse and repeat.

Those teeth look round to you?

Lol...

And my photo is just a guide for how to grab them.

This is the same technique from walleye pike and musky

All these fish will slice you wide open.

Post a pic of you letting a walleye bite you and the we will talk

Edited by manitoubass2

My apology for " bashing " the safe handling practices. I may have been a bit out of line.

Its basically the same when steelheaders freak out when a guy keeps a fish to harvest for the eggs or lets it flop around in the mud.

It sounds like the guy who posted the video is learning from his mistakes and is trying to correct his fish handling practices

Those teeth look round to you?

Lol...

And my photo is just a guide for how to grab them.

This is the same technique from walleye pike and musky

All these fish will slice you wide open.

Post a pic of you letting a walleye bite you and the we will talk

Challenge accepted. My moater Lake Trout bit me this summer. :P

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/fishing/2007/09/50-fishing-facts

Fish fact #11

Edited by jeremy84

Sweet cycling gloves, lol.

Imperial angler back at it again.

Mechanic gloves for early april billm

But let me guess, you mever use gloves, ever???

I guess im in the wrong becaude you know everything, right bill?

You do wonders at promoting fishing.

Your just a hypocrit with an ego

Sweet cycling gloves, lol.

Imperial angler back at it again.

Mechanic gloves for early april billm

But let me guess, you ever use gloves, ever??? Even when steelheading in - temps???

I guess im in the wrong because you know everything, right bill?

You do wonders at promoting fishing.

Your just a hypocrit with an ego