How would you fish this spot for bass.

Harrison

For the first time in a while I am really pumped for bass opener this year.

I saw this shot on the internet and was thinking how I would approach fishing it for bass. What to hit first, with what and where I think the fish would be.

How would you fish it?

ar121018864663077.jpg

I go right down the center with a frog or crank looking for the active fish on the outside edges then start back up with a frog and a jig picking apart the cover spots that look like people havnt been using much. You could spend a good 45 minutes in there.

God I wish I was there right now!!

I was thinking this spot looks ideal.

Seems like a deeper channel, docks are parallel to the shoreline. The pad bed is the only real overheard cover beside the floating dock. It is not at the back end of the channel so there is a better chance fish can move in from the big lake.

Roy is right I think, mid summer - dry grass. Mid-day - no shadows and quiet. Probably during the week, ha.

That pad bed would be loaded. I would approached parallel to the shore line and work that pad bed as stealthy as a I could. I'd pick it apart flipping and pitching while keeping a distance working my way from the edge to the middle.

Then I'd move over to the floating dock and skip way up underneath it. That's where the big gal should be.

That heron is a dead give away for me. My experience has showed when a heron is in an area like this something is around chasing out perch/sunfish etc. When I see one on a dock, I usually get a good fish on it.

So when I spotted the heron in the picture I thought is would be fun to start a thread like this here.

If you see a heron around, fish it hard.

PS. Anyone know where this is? lol

At first glance? I also see a splash near the swim platform, a medium running crankbait, something that runs 3-5 feet might find what caused the splash with out disturbing the shoreline areas. A nice sunny day? I want one with some flash in the sun, chrome and black, chrome and blue, a wandering baitfish. No action on that and I probe around the floating dock up a texas rigged tube, just a guess there is at least 6-8 feet of water there, cover provided by the dock and deeper water.

The lily pads next, there doesn`t appear to be much weed cover in the rest of the pic, so it`s a definite maybe. It could be the only place in the area where the water depth drops off more slowly from shore. A texas rigged 6 inch lizard with a 1/8 or 3/16 ounce weight, possibly no weight and just a 4/0 - 5/0 hook. I want the bait to slowly fall through the water not crash to the bottom. A single hook and a lizard gives me more chance of a hook up with a strike than a frog or buzzbait.

On the far side of the lilies there appears to be a clear area between them and shore, and it also appears to be shaded, that`s my choice for a buzzbait.

The land appears to drop of to the water fairly steeply, if the water depth increases at the same rate? I probe the dock ares with a jig and pig - jig and lizard, and the areas away from them that are more open get a cast to shore with a shallow running crankbait if there are few weeds. If weeds they get hit with the jig and lizard.

Is it a cove? or river? The back appears to have a point creating a necked down area? I am hitting that also, depending on depth and weeds a crank bait or jig. On the way out I can cast a rattle trap parallel to the shoreline for roaming or spooked fish. I might even cast to the deeper water side to see if there are roaming fish.

Boy Paul,you just saved me some typing.

I pretty much concure with you. As for the dock,I would throw a light tube and let it slowly drop. I would have to say it,s deep , with the slide.Then again,one never knows unless you are there or know the spot. A swim bait would work great.

As for the pads,there are so many options.Heavy jig/pig. Drag a crawler with a heavy bullet head,so it can drop in the open spots.

I want to fish that spot. Bet I could use up half a tournys day there. :D

I would fish the left side of the floating dock with a sledge, simply because that is where the Sun is shining down on mostly. Next I would cast a Bulldawg and let it sink down on the shady side. After that, next would be a tandem blade inline right along side the Lily pads.

Sorry you said Bass. I would get the biggest red and white and drown a Dew worm, that would be about as exciting as it would get for me fishing for bass....:rolleyes:

Cheers, Ron...

For the first time in a while I am really pumped for bass opener this year.

I saw this shot on the internet and was thinking how I would approach fishing it for bass. What to hit first, with what and where I think the fish would be.

How would you fish it?

ar121018864663077.jpg

this is a bay on lake muskoka? looks like the one i fish

if it is I know exactly where the fish are lol!!

I'm surprise no one even mentioned a senko :o I'd concentrate on the shady side of this bay, first, from a casting distance, would throw a medium size crankbait like a white BigO on the outer edge of the pads on the left... senko would be my second choice working the same outer edge :) Then a whitespinnerbait would follow working every possible angles.

Then pound the pads with a scum frog... turn around and throw the senko at the dock with the slide... switch to a spinnerbait and a then a crankbait etc...

Well you get the idea... would keep on working the left hand side of the bay since it holds more shades seeing the shadow of the trees along the shoreline.... there's a good 1h of working intensively in that bay from what I can see in the pic B):)

Tight lines

Jacques

Boy Paul,you just saved me some typing.

I pretty much concure with you. As for the dock,I would throw a light tube and let it slowly drop. I would have to say it,s deep , with the slide.Then again,one never knows unless you are there or know the spot. A swim bait would work great.

As for the pads,there are so many options.Heavy jig/pig. Drag a crawler with a heavy bullet head,so it can drop in the open spots.

I want to fish that spot. Bet I could use up half a tournys day there. :D

LOL Brian, after years of fishing bass tournaments with a 35 HP motor run and gun wasn`t a good plan for me, it was better to take some time and concentrate on something others may have missed.

I would come roaring up my my bass boat, cut the throttle just as I get to the swim platform, wityh a loud UNNNGGGGGHHHH get out of the drivers seat making sure that I have the machine with the flashing lights and the machine that goes beep on and in full view of the spectators that have rushed down to the bank in order to, (no doubt), watch me, the master, fish this section of lake that they happen to vacation by.

Then I would slowly lean over, trying to get past my rotund exposed belly, and pick up one of my many ultra-expensive rod and reel combos, and display it to the spectators on shore so they can admire the fact that I have something they don't have.

Realizing that I forgot to drop the bowmount trolling motor I would bellow a particularly offensive explitive, toss my afore-mentioned rod and reel combo, lumber over to the bow of my blinding sparkly bass boat, and with an even louder grunt pull the handle and drop it into the water.

Then I would cast my lure and expertly bounce it of the dock only leaving one lure behind that had the mis-fortune of hooking it self into the easily accessible side of the dock.

That is how I would fish that area.

Pass by, look for a less busy place. Big smart Bass wouldn't hang around there. Looks like my kind of place for Pan Fish :D Sit back on the dock using a slip float with a cold refreshment with a few buds, the BBQ smokin. Gezz I better wake-up, I'm dreaming again :rofl2:

I would skip a wacky rigged senko or weightless tube around the dock. I would then use a square billed crankbait and work the channel and the edge of the pads beside the channel. I would toss a wakebait beside the pads near shore and finally hit the middle of the pads with my livetarget frog.

Start off fast (Spinnerbait, jerk bait) then slow down and pick apart the structure. I've caught more big bass off busy marina docks then I care to imagine...

Chris, I still need to grab some of those wakebaits for Simcoe this year! Who made them?

I would come roaring up my my bass boat, cut the throttle just as I get to the swim platform, wityh a loud UNNNGGGGGHHHH get out of the drivers seat making sure that I have the machine with the flashing lights and the machine that goes beep on and in full view of the spectators that have rushed down to the bank in order to, (no doubt), watch me, the master, fish this section of lake that they happen to vacation by.

Then I would slowly lean over, trying to get past my rotund exposed belly, and pick up one of my many ultra-expensive rod and reel combos, and display it to the spectators on shore so they can admire the fact that I have something they don't have.

Realizing that I forgot to drop the bowmount trolling motor I would bellow a particularly offensive explitive, toss my afore-mentioned rod and reel combo, lumber over to the bow of my blinding sparkly bass boat, and with an even louder grunt pull the handle and drop it into the water.

Then I would cast my lure and expertly bounce it of the dock only leaving one lure behind that had the mis-fortune of hooking it self into the easily accessible side of the dock.

That is how I would fish that area.

Haha, I like this one!

Worm and bobber for me!