The Laker Chase

MJL

After an incredible fall of steelhead fishing, there was one itch that needed to be scratched...Ice fishing Lakers!

This weekend I made my first trip onto the ice for the elusive char (at least for me). The last 2 yrs I’ll admit that I really did want to bash my head in for all those times I skunked :wallbash: – When you skunk 10 times in a row, or battle the elements sitting on a bucket outside, or wonder why are all those hundreds of fish on the fish finder won’t bite my bait? It really makes you think, “why the heck am I out here?” :dunno:

As sick (and sad) as it may sound, the past month when I wasn’t fishing, at work, or studying for one small financial exam, it was spent with an ice rod in hand on the couch in front of the TV (mostly watching the food network). I was visualizing the laker chase and practicing my ‘twitch’ and ‘craaaaaaank’ techniques. It definitely paid off :D

Saturday morning 4am, with ice tackle packed in the car, EC1, Frozen-Fire and I made our way to the frozen hunting grounds of the lake trout. The early departure time was mostly for a hearty breakfast and some strategizing at Timmy’s.LOL

During a beautiful sunrise, EC1 got into the first fish of the morning (didn’t take any pics – it was a big one). 10 minutes later, I see a line on the fish finder racing almost vertically towards my bait. I crank the reel and the chase ensues...The ending was very sweet. I got my first laker of 2012 – I also Christened my new Daiwa spinning reel too :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_0714a.jpg

After I release that fish down the hole, I drop my bait down and see another line on the sonar rocket up from 110ft to meet my lure at 40ft...The 2 lines on the fish finder met and for a few seconds the one line was just suspended there not really doing anything :dunno: ...Not knowing what happened, I just reeled up and low and behold, there was a fish!

Back to back lakers – Never in my life would I ever expect that. I never caught more than 2 big lakers in one season...My expectations for success when it comes to ice fishing are extremely low.LOL

IMG_0715a.jpg

Action was fairly consistent despite the growing number of people congregating around me. I saw plenty of fish on the fish finder and lost a few too. Out of everything, dealing with the sonar interference from other units was my only complaint which was easily solved my just moving away from the crowd.

Got into some smaller fish with missing fins (pectoral or adipose).

IMG_0719a.jpg

IMG_0717a.jpg

At the end of the day, EC1 packed up his Clam popup hut along with his stove and fishing tackle...Frozen-Fire was helping him...I asked how long it would take to pack up. EC1 said it might take 15mins. Since they didn’t need my help, I grabbed a rod and found an open hole Frozen-Fire made earlier in the day. Dropped my bait down, jigged it a bit, saw a fish racing up to it and I cranked my reel like mad...The fish took it and I hooked it! So far, that was the only time I wish I had a more powerful rod...The fish ran like a demon possessed in all directions under the ice. It’s amazing (and somewhat scary) to see a huge fish gyrating beneath your feet through the ice :w00t:

Turned out to be my PB laker through the ice...Possibly my biggest lake trout ever :thumbsup_anim:. Took a couple quick pics and slid it back down the hole...The people in the surrounding area may have heard a small celebration from us :lol:

IMG_0723a.jpg

With the action I had on Saturday, I was willing to go back for another round on Sunday...Frozen-Fire wanted some redemption for skunking on Saturday...Victor wanted redemption for skunking on lakers all of last season.

Sunday morning it was the same deal of an early, but very filling breakfast. It didn’t take too long to hook up once we were set up...I hooked up first and within seconds, so did Vic :w00t:. Ended up with a double header :D. Big congrats to Vic on his first ever laker :thumbsup_anim:

P2056251-2a.jpg

Frozen-Fire did manage to catch one laker as well, finding some solace that he didn't totally suck this weekend. He however was not impressed when I hooked a laker from his hole with his rod and lure.LOL

Sunday was nothing like Saturday. The fish finder screen was mostly blank with only some fish showing minor interest (possibly whitefish?). I moved around a lot and even ran a 2nd line with a live minnow on the end but nothing came to fruition. We spent the afternoon fishing for small anorexic perch close to shore before packing it in.LOL

Still one of the most amazing weekends I’ve ever had since I started ice fishing...If you had asked me what I thought about ice fishing 2yrs ago, I probably wouldn’t have given it a 2nd thought...I have to thank fellow OFNer, JET for getting me into it and teaching me the ways of the laker chase before he moved to BC :worthy:

Hope you enjoyed

Mike

Totally awesome stuff Mike! It's funny how bad days motivate us to go back just as much as good days.

And what a payday you earned for yourself! I'm sure those sonar chases are still replaying in your head. There's really nothing like it.

Now wouldn't it have been so awesome to capture that PB tank battle on video???? I'm sure Ant has heard enough of me harassing him to capture it all on video. I need something to watch while passing the time out here in BC!!!

Mike, that WAS the pose I saw! I should have come over and introduced myself! Good job bud, you had those lakers dialed in for sure.

I saw that guy in the blue come over and take a peak after you landed your 2nd fish :) :) :)

Edited by BillM

Nice work guys!

I think I may have been parked next to you guys sunday morning. Action was insane until about 9 then there were quite a few lulls but still some fish coming through.

A side note... I can't help but think that access will be the next crossed off the list to non-residents after the lack of respect for peoples property I saw when leaving sunday... :angry:

I wanna know why all these pictures with the background shows NO ONE ELSE on the ice. I really felt uncomfortably close to other people that other day...

But all in all, great weekend. Definitely my best week of fishing I've had on Simcoe in my life!

I wanna know why all these pictures with the background shows NO ONE ELSE on the ice. I really felt uncomfortably close to other people that other day...

Content Aware in Photoshop can do some amazing things! Trust me, there were probably 300 people out that day, lol.