Think tank! Please take the time to give your input!

Big Cliff

I don't know how all the marketing and selling works but I know this product works.I have my friends buying it.

I know it was a part of my success in harvesting my giant deer this year.

if there is anything I can do to help just drop me a line.

You're trying to tell me you can fill a 1 lb tank 20 times from a 20lb tank. I don't think so. Then you need to add the cost of the fitting. After a number of refills, the 1 lb tanks don't "work" all that well, kinda sorta leaky, so then you need to buy more 1 lb tanks. Maybe just easier to buy a 5lb and it's good for 10 years, refill mine at Costco for $3.00.

to each their own...

ive done the math... my way works for me and saves space/weight in the ice shack...

I don't know how all the marketing and selling works but I know this product works.I have my friends buying it.

I know it was a part of my success in harvesting my giant deer this year.

if there is anything I can do to help just drop me a line.

Am I missing something here?

Every item, in store at regular price, has a mark up from 100% to 400%.

not always true...

my friends own a tackle shop and their mark up is around 40%

ive seen their wholesale catalogs with prices...

and their prices are comparable to most other places to purchase tackle...

Am I missing something here?

Another story Roy, LOL, I believe he is refering to the product I asked for help evaluating last fall. And yes, from all the reports I got back on it, it will also be a big sucess. In fact I am now in talks with a major retailer to handle the product but more to follow on that in a few weeks. This is a totally different concept and not product specific related. Just an old man trying to find ways to help his friends!

I like the idea however, let's try and keep it as simple as possible. Manufacturing firms like high volume numbers but I don't see the necessity of holding inventory. For example, I'm sure if you approach a vendor and say we as a group have 5000 members , we want a percentage above cost on all your items and we'll send our business your way. Your're not holding any inventory, or any of the hassels, just get a commitment on items sold to OFC members and would need a commitment on the part of members to buy from these guys. As the numbers build up, better discounts are garnered. Basically asking for tenders to provide rods and reels to OFC members.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

$31.99 at CTC as I bought one in a hurray last night before supper!

Wayne, you got lucky! I had to buy a dishwasher on New Year's Eve, two hours before the sale ended . . .

Merman, I never did get the parts in, that wasn't the problem, thank the lord I got them from you (spare change).

We all "have to eat" is my policy. If a retailer or someone else can help another person out then let it be done.

Cliff has helped me out and I've given back also on the board.

A

Yes, OFC has many members now. A hand full of them spend way to much money on gear and would be into your concept of purchasing. Most members do not spend a lot of dough on there hobby. You could not get 5000 members buying the same product constantly. The numbers wouldn't be there to convince a manufacturer to sell direct.

I like to save and get a deal like the next guy. I'm not a business man, but I have a few friends that are. Sometimes you see a great deal on 1 item in a store , it's called a lost-leader, meaning, to get you into the store and buy more than the 1 item :whistling:

It's a good idea Cliff. But you buy 500 to get a good deal and maybe only sell 2 of those items, who's the guy holding the bag. Just an example: CD players were new on the market and 2 years later, you can't buy one(out of date). Times are moving to fast. Fish Finders are the same, I bought one this year and already it's an antique. :wallbash: Stores don't keep a big stock anymore.

And what about the little tackle shop guy trying to make a living.

If this was the way things should be sold, it could spell a disaster for the little guy.

Just saying Cliff.

Cliff, we can talk if you like. I pitched a very similar model a couple years ago. Currently working on an additional new business model (along the lines of a co-op/membership/brokerage) through my eTackle brand. Like anything new, there is always challenges and road blocks, you just have to keep chugging along.

If nothing more I am willing to share a heads up with what may will lay ahead for you if you persue this. Let me know.

Phil

Edited by Harrison

Cliff, we can talk if you like. I pitched a very similar model a couple years ago. Currently working on a new business model through my eTackle brand. Like anything new, there is always challenges and road blocks, you just have to keep chugging along.

If nothing more I am willing to share a heads up with what may will lay ahead for you. Let me know.

Phil

that's very kind of you Phil. :thumbsup_anim:

things like this is why when I need someting I go to people like you first. if you can't get it then I move on (and you know that).

Some excellent feedback here people, thank you so much! I am not sure if I will do something along these lines or not, it might be a bit too much for me to handle with everything else I have on my plate.

Phil thank you very much for your offer, I'll PM you.

If anyone else cares to add their comments please do!

Thanks again!

Cliff

Cliff, we can talk if you like. I pitched a very similar model a couple years ago. Currently working on an additional new business model (along the lines of a co-op/membership/brokerage) through my eTackle brand. Like anything new, there is always challenges and road blocks, you just have to keep chugging along.

If nothing more I am willing to share a heads up with what may will lay ahead for you if you persue this. Let me know.

Phil

Phil is absolutely correct with reference to the challenges and road blocks. I don't see this as impossible, but with the vast amount of variables it would be full time work for one or more people to run. There has been a number of examples given regarding large margin markups and they do exist but certainly not across the board and sporting goods can be very tight.

For example, my family owned a archery shop years ago and numerous times, the large sporting goods store in Mississauga was selling bows for less than we could buy them for. And not once in a while as a lost leader...consistantly. Simple volume based buying power. The big store in Vaughn gets 5000 people through by 9am Saturday morning and they negociate their purchase prices based on all their stores.

I still think it could work if pursued, I'm just saying the work level, finances, risk, etc. would be the same as any other business start up and there are enough self employeed people on this site to tell you, it is an incredible amount of effort. My 2 cents...smile.gif

Dave

Being relatively new to the forum I almost feel foolish jumping in-but the concept is too ineresting not to;

Few thoughts;

For my work I have followed the Wag Jag/Group On trend quote closely. Generally I hear: great for consumers but not so great for the retailer/business. The basic premise is to use Wag Jagz reach (number of emails) they can go to to generate store sales. The challenge is there are requirements for how big the discount may be etc. And most retailers end up giving up most/all profit on the idea that someone comes in for the really cheap stuff, and buy more (loss leaders as someone mentioned) challenge is that most poeple don't return-they just wait for the next sale from the same or similar retailer

This idea is different to me and better. You are saying use the size of OFC to create ongoing offers for retailers but ideally prices set are good but not at a loss to a retailer

Per somone elses idea to me the best concept is the idea like;

OK OFNers deal of the month/week is Shimano Compre Spinning ros for 20% of the retail price if we as a group buy 100 rods. Rods available for pick up at these 3 locatios etc or shipped for $x

That way you aren't storing inventory or having a large cash outlay to buy ahead

Anyway great idea and I will watch with interet (I'm in the market for a new rod, reel and a fish finder ;))

How to find MEGA Discounts via Amazon:

Step 1: search for an item or brand

Step 2: Pick a product category

Step 3: Click the "Amazon Prime" or "Super Saver Shipping" elligible link

Step 4: Click "70% off or more" under the "discount" tab

Step 5: Buy, Buy, Buy

Step 6: Log onto OFC and share the deal with the rest of us =)

i have slightly edited this to be accomadating to this site as it was originally posted in a garage journal moreso pertaining to getting deals on tools

Cheers

I like the Idea but not to sure if it would work, I know in my line of business there is a certin pattern that should be followed, Manufacture to distributer, then distributer to end user.

In my opinion the manufactures should not be selling to anybody but a distributer, if we cut out the middle man it means peoples jobs are taken away from them. I know we would be getting the goods for less, but in my opinion it should follow the proper chain.

just my 2 cents

I appreciate the concept and have executed the same thing but was dealing with millions of dollars among companies as opposed to individuals.

I think it would be a struggle at best, and a nightmare to administer. You would be hard pressed to get manufacturers interested, while you may think talking 500 propane tanks is an impressive number think of the number that CTC or Cosco buys..... if you are not going to inventory anything than how do I get my tank when I need one if the co-op made it's purchase 3 months ago and everyone bought enough to last them a year or more? No manufactureris going to be your warehouse, they have distribution channel to market for that.

Just my 1 1/2 cents

Pick your brands and stick with them... For a manufacturer to deal with you directly they'll want to know they own that part of the market(the membership of this site will not be big enough for a large manufacturer)...However. Manufacturers often sign deals with distributers, giving the firm sole distribution rights of a product (or list of products)within a given area. The Manufacturer may get away with selling the odd shipment of non current product to another firm. But otherwise are subject to legal action for violating the contract.Expect this with any offshore or international firm as there usually are distributers awarded sole distribution for the entire country.

As for smaller (growing) manufacturers they often need distributers to bring their products to market, so they kinda got ya over a barrel whether your the maker or the end user.

Their all the devil in my eyes (distributers) and drive prices through the roof. But they do serve a purpose:)

Good Luck. you've certainly got alot of interest here:)

There is definitely a lot involved with starting something like this up. Warehousing isn't a huge expense, it will be one of the cheaper expenditures. Insurance would probably end up being a big cost. I like the idea and would support it if I could in any way. I think the manufacturers themselves wouldn't give you the time of day, it would be the distributors of the various lines of products. The distribution of the various products offered would be a nightmare at your end. Ontario is a big place and fuel and/or shipping costs would have to be factored into someone's buying decisions. While the drive to Lindsay is nice, I'm not spending $50-60 to save $20 or 30. If it's a big ticket item and I'm saving $150+, I'd consider it. But how many big ticket items like that will we be buying on a regular basis and how will it end up being worthwhile for those who are running it. I'm not a believer in free labour, everybody deserves to get paid for their efforts. Once all costs get factored in, is it really worth the effort??

Now, that said, good luck. I know you retired Cliff several times and get ants in your pants, one of my colleagues finally retired for the last time at 78 after retiring 3 times. You have to keep yourself busy, my mentor is still at it and he's going to be 79 this year and still works 40-50 hours a week (he's slowed down, it used to be close to 75-80 hrs/wk, the price paid of being a business owner).