Flashers for ice fishing

vinnimon

I plan on purchasing a flasher very soon, but i am not sure of which one to get.I would prefer to get the top of the the line,but I know that I wont use it to its fullest potential.

I have experience using a few but im not sure which one to go with.

Any view points good or bad, no matter on any that you guys have used will be apreciated.

I also have an aqua view in which I do like in most situations, but with a few that ive been in it was a pain in really deep water.

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated, thanks a ton.

Any flasher is better than no flasher. Get what you like and can afford. I myself have a Vexlar FL 8 Genz Pack. Is it the best, probably not. Is better than no flasher, definitely. You probably can't go wrong with any of the current flashers on the market IMHO.

I plan on purchasing a flasher very soon, but i am not sure of which one to get.I would prefer to get the top of the the line,but I know that I wont use it to its fullest potential.

Any view points good or bad, no matter on any that you guys have used will be apreciated.

I also have an aqua view in which I do like in most situations, but with a few that ive been in it was a pain in really deep water.

You can't really go wrong with any of them.

I have a Marcum LX-5 and it is a very good unit.

The movable zoom and super fine line as well as the dual beam transducer are important to me.

It also has the best target separation and most power of all the top units as well.

I have heard good things about the HBird flashers as well.

You can't really go wrong with any of them.

I have a Marcum LX-5 and it is a very good unit.

The movable zoom and super fine line as well as the dual beam transducer are important to me.

It also has the best target separation and most power of all the top units as well.

I have heard good things about the HBird flashers as well.

I have a Hummunbird Ice 45 going into its second season this winter.Very pleased with it.I's middle of the line but has most features of the Ice 55.... a little less power.Used it for shallow perch and deep lake trout.One freind has got one for this year and another will be getting one for Christmas.Prefer it over Vex and Marcum due to the larger read out.

It's time for the LX-7! I think it's been said many times for all sorts of different equipment, but spend as much as you can afford to on it!

Any finder is better than no finder. I still use a portable Humminbird b/w that freezes when it gets too cold Lol. It doesn't feel right to fish Scugog in 8FOW without my finder now though.

And for those that like those Humminbird flashers, I just always have a hard time reading a flasher where your jig goes downwards on the screen when you jig upwards. Not for me, but I bet lots of people love it.

Edited by EC1

I have been around most of the units. The best one in my opinion is the Marcum LX-5. I have a Vexilar FL-18 and absolutely love it. Like others have said, all the flasher units right now are very good quality. If I was in the market for a new one, I would pick up the LX-5.

I've owned and used both Marcum and Vex over the years. I only use the Marcum LX5 now. The movable zoom is important for me when fishing suspended Specks. :D

Edited by TroutSlayer

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current models. I think in terms of technology and quality of the output, they're all very similar when you compare the various units at each price point. So, IMO, you really have to go and look at them so you can make direct comparisons. For example, the Marcum LX-5 screen diameter is a bit smaller than the Humminbird and it has a small shield instead of the flat screen. However, I find the Humminbird to be louder and vibrate more but I prefer the flat screen. If you fish at night some of the units don't have a night mode which many anglers find annoying (it's blinding at night). Having the transducer on a floater versus an arm (I removed the arm from my Marcum and use a Vex floater). Little differences like that will most likely sway you. Assuming the price is the same. Also, don't forget to compare what's included in the package. For example, I believe some of the Vexilars don't have a carrying case, but the Humminbirds and Marcums include that (at least that's my recollection).

Availability might be an issue as well. Humminbird is everywhere. Vexilar is also quite popular, but not sure how many stores carry the Marcums. If you don't mind ordering online, then this is non-issue of course.

If you're going for top of the line I think either a Marcum LX7 or LX5, Humminbird ICE55 or the Vexilar FL20 (note: the FL22HD only goes to 60FOW max) will make you happy.

That HDS-5 with the PPP-18I Ice Pack sounds like a really sweet package as well.

Edited by FishLogic

Vinni, I don't think it has been mentioned, but I would suggest that you buy whatever your friends are fishing. Different manufacturers flasher will interfere with other manufacturers. This is especially true for the Marcum flashers. So, if all your friends have Marcums, then buy a Marcum and spend as much as you can afford. Rember that means at least $350.

I just bought the HB Ice55 and I am impressed with the fit and finish. It comes with the carrying case, which may be important, but all the of the units will fit in a five gallon pail.

Let us all know what you buy.

Really depends on fishing styles...

But a lot of vexilars are coming with a TRI-ducer

And the ultra pack option is nice...

I have a fl-8 ultra pack and it's perfect for me... I usualy fish 5-50 feet of water and it performed fine...

Only thing I wish I had was zoom on the bottom... But I think the higher end models have that...

Edited by Musky Mike

I have never had electronic gear for ice fishing I always relied on maps and gutt feeling(weather patterns light levels/currents excetra)

So now that Im getting a little older Im looking for any advantage I can find not only for myself but my kidds are getting a little boured catching perch not to mention several others that I would like to take out fishing.

Just to clear things up.

Best results are on my own or with a few others that know how to ice fish.

So my question is do theese flashers/fish finders actualy help find fish or help you catch fish?

Lure choices not withstanding.

What should I expect to pay$ for a quality unit?

Portable/reliable/durable accurate?

Thanks for any advice please feel free to pm me if you are not comfortabe talking $.

Saltydawg.

Saltydawg Absolutely. 99% of my whitie and laker catches are on the take (Meaning I'm coaxing the fish up from the bottom).... I've had lakers hit 10ft below the hole coming out of 100ft of water. Same goes with the whities, it's usually at least 20-30ft off bottom when they hammer my spoon. Can't do that without a finder :)

When I think about it, I can't believe I even wasted time ice fishing for whities/lakers without one. Sure you'll have lucky days when the fish are hot, but that's not usually the case.

Edited by BillM

^^^^^ What Bill says is true. It will enable you to catch many more fish than without one.

I can't hit the ice without my flasher.

Case in point 2 weeks ago I only managed to catch 3 fish one was a no brainer as it railed my jig. The other two came in to my bait but I would have never known as it took me a long time to tease them into hitting. Without the flasher I would have just been jigging blindly and not working the fish that were actually there.

Vinny if you compare those in a similar price range. They are all pretty much the same. I have a lowly Vex FL8 and have no intentions of upgrading. It does what I need it to do.

I am pretty much a perch fisherman through the ice. Does the unit catch me more fish? I really don't think so...but I have fished perch for years and have go to lures and go to locations. But I have to say I do love watching things unfold on the screen. Bringing fish up off the bottom or targeting specific suspended fish and watching them home in on your bait is very entertaining. I do these things randomly anyway as from years of perching I know to mix up my presentations to attract fish...so like I said I usually get those fish anyway. It's just so much more fun being able to watch it happen :thumbsup_anim: Electronics IMHO make it way more fun.

Saltydawg Absolutely. 99% of my whitie and laker catches are on the take (Meaning I'm coaxing the fish up from the bottom).... I've had lakers hit 10ft below the hole coming out of 100ft of water. Same goes with the whities, it's usually at least 20-30ft off bottom when they hammer my spoon. Can't do that without a finder :)

When I think about it, I can't believe I even wasted time ice fishing for whities/lakers without one. Sure you'll have lucky days when the fish are hot, but that's not usually the case.

So would you be willing to show me how to fish using a flasher?

When I buy one I will not be familar with the basic aplications.

Cooks bay ?perch would be a good start.?

Ill bring the food and bait. :canadian:

flasher will double your catch no doubt.

I wont ice fish very often without a flasher unless I'm snowshoeing deep into the interior of LSPP.

Currently I have a fl8 slt but I'm upgrading by xmas to a fl-18 or 20.

I think I'm going to go with the fl 18-tri beam. Don't see a huge difference between the 18 and 20's.

That being said I think there is a huge difference between the fl 12 and 18.

18's have the Bottom Lock which can come in handy during open water too!

Honestly, Buy the best deal you can find. They all rock man!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

you need a fishfinder

I will go head to head with anyone

me with a hds5 and you with you flasher

but I do need to be far enough away from you to get away from the rf splatter from your unit and when the ice goes, I will hook up my expensive piece of equipment to my boat

you will find a nice place on a shelf for yours