A Wee Rant #2

Guest chase4chrome

I've read this thread finally...no time what with sorting my socks drawer again and answering personal messages..

I will say this though. I will answer every one of your concerns/posts individually as I see them. It may take a while but it'll be done.

I'll start here with the OP. I honestly don't know which of your posts were edited or if any indeed were. But please let me know which one(s) and I'll see if I can help you. For now, all I have to say is, the key to effective communication is to use the least and the most understood words possible. How can someone understand "I thy eye offend thee, then pluck it out." It makes no sense to me. Errors in a very well known biblical quote will just make the "big" words useless.

Seriously though, tell me which of your posts were massaged and by whom. (if you know which dude did de deed) Thanks

I just recently found out what OP is... but what's ModQ?

Modq is where a post by a watched user isn't posted right away. A 'mod'erator has to approve it before its visible on the forum. It sits in a line or queue to be approved is a way to look at it...that a mod approves.....hence modq

Edited by ccmt

Modq is where a post by a watched user isn't posted right away. A 'mod'erator has to approve it before its visible on the forum. It sits in a line or queue to be approved is a way to look at it...that a mod approves.....hence modq

can ya tell us in stupid terms? I know there are users out there who still don't get it....

LOL!

I've got no issues with mods editing or deleting posts. Their house , their rules. I think it's happened to a post or two of mine and it confused me at first as i didnt know i could be edited lol. But i never gave it a second thought once I realized what happened. The instances this has happened, it was obvious why and I had no questions. If memory serves me, I used a word that was a little too colorful. It was changed and I said to myself....."ok don't use that particular word again", message received.

IMO

I think it might be time for all involved in OFC/OFC to take a side step.

ALL of us have this big red button engrained within our personality that is hard to controll for what ever reason?

This red button can be pushed by any one at any time for any reason with seamingly no explination.

As an OFC member when you go to your favorates bar and hit OFC You are commited to conducting your self in a way that is acceptable on a public forum.

Having said that.

Moderators are absolutly justified in thier attempts to stay true to the spirit of the forum they choose to moderate?

This comming from somebody that has been eddited several times and put on the( Modd Q list once) within my first year..

All it takes is sombody having a bad day or week and BOOM YOU SAID SOMTHING OUT OF CHARACTER OR CONTEXT.

Modds generaly keep that sort of reply on the down low(auwsum)...

Thanks man. :thumbsup_anim:

OFC/OFC I LIKE IT I LIKE IT ALLOT!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Ps.

No spellcheck :tease:

Thanks for clearing that up Cliff! It definitely makes sense for Mod's to preview certain peoples posts that have a bad history. Changing peoples posts/wording(editing), if I understand some of the complaints correctly, is another story. It's completely alright by me to delete a person's post, but its not OK to change their post or wording... I hate anyone being censored, but deleting posts probably keeps a lot of crap off here. Having said all this, OFC is a privately owned Internet Message-Board, it's the Owners/Mod's board and therefore its their rules, even if they aren't right. (Most of the time I find them reasonable and easy to get along with, once you understand how the board works). I've probably been put on ModQ at least once lol, a couple years ago I remember getting a couple messages from different Mod's telling me a certain post I made was offside and that multiple Mod's had raised my warning level and that they had to lower the warnings because too many Mod's warned me in such a short perios, after looking at my post I realized that it was a bad comment. There's a lot of cool people and great info on here once you get over some of the quirks of the members

I'll weigh in here just a bit.. and reiterate (sorry.. it is the only word I could think of..) Arts comments are right on the nose. First off. Contrary to popular belief, were not making any significant money off this forum. We've tried over the years, we got rid of banners and advertising, cause people either never paid their bills or by having a banner, they thought they had even more right to spam us or want special treatment. After having to be moved to a dedicated server what little we make monthly off the Google ads pays the bills. That's it.. no big mystery.

Secondly, the mods do have lives and jobs and family's, some of us have businesses, some of us have day jobs, some of us have to go away for weeks at a time for work, and occasionally some of us have health issues which prevents us from being online to babysit all day long. So when a post gets removed or edited, you have to remember the fact that you just took time out of a moderators day.. his NON PAID time to edit something you said that you likely already knew was close to or was crossing a line. So if the mod is gruff, or DOESN'T SPEND MORE TIME to write you a nice little note explaining to you why your an idiot (hopefully in small words so the user can understand) you'll have to forgive us. Most of the mods here have been doing this for yes... 10 years, and although I stay out of the mod business. (I have received veiled death threats regarding MY family from users... I'm not kidding..) I am amazed at the jobs the boys do. This place wouldn't be here without them. If you had see ALL of the stupid crap that people do here.. over time you just wouldn't believe it. So bottom line is.. and here is a metaphor you can use.. If you drop a cigarette butt in our house and we pick it up without telling you, it doesn't give you the right to do it again, just because we didn't tell you we picked it up. You should have known better in the first place.

10 years.... members come and members go. Its just the way it is.

I'll weigh in here just a bit.. and reiterate (sorry.. it is the only word I could think of..) Arts comments are right on the nose. First off. Contrary to popular belief, were not making any significant money off this forum. We've tried over the years, we got rid of banners and advertising, cause people either never paid their bills or by having a banner, they thought they had even more right to spam us or want special treatment. After having to be moved to a dedicated server what little we make monthly off the Google ads pays the bills. That's it.. no big mystery.

Secondly, the mods do have lives and jobs and family's, some of us have businesses, some of us have day jobs, some of us have to go away for weeks at a time for work, and occasionally some of us have health issues which prevents us from being online to babysit all day long. So when a post gets removed or edited, you have to remember the fact that you just took time out of a moderators day.. his NON PAID time to edit something you said that you likely already knew was close to or was crossing a line. So if the mod is gruff, or DOESN'T SPEND MORE TIME to write you a nice little note explaining to you why your an idiot (hopefully in small words so the user can understand) you'll have to forgive us. Most of the mods here have been doing this for yes... 10 years, and although I stay out of the mod business. (I have received veiled death threats regarding MY family from users... I'm not kidding..) I am amazed at the jobs the boys do. This place wouldn't be here without them. If you had see ALL of the stupid crap that people do here.. over time you just wouldn't believe it. So bottom line is.. and here is a metaphor you can use.. If you drop a cigarette butt in our house and we pick it up without telling you, it doesn't give you the right to do it again, just because we didn't tell you we picked it up. You should have known better in the first place.

10 years.... members come and members go. Its just the way it is.

The voice of reason. Excellent analogy TJ, keep up the good work guys, I know it is harder than most here realize. You all do a heck of a job :worthy:

I don't understand some of the newbs that think they can change the world. Zip it, sit down and enjoy the resource.. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

If this is one of the first post a "newbie" sees I highly doubt they would like to become part of this community....this place has always been very inviting and I wouldn't want someone to think otherwise with that kind of attitude.