Fluorocarbon line is junk!!!

Dabluz

This is an old debate...and there have been a few threads posted on this forum on this topic.

The only advantage I see with this line over mono is the low stretch.

Read the stretch test in the second link I sent. Fluorocarbon stretches just as much as Berkley XL. Berkley XL is about the most elastic line you can find.

The 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon was subjected to a stess of 3 lbs during the stretch test (1/3 it's strength). This is very little stress in my book. All the fluorocarbon lines were difformed and therefore weakened after such a light test and meanwhile the mono did not show any signs of stress after the tests.

There are lots of resources on the net regarding the use of fluorocarbon and it's pros & cons. Fluoro does in fact has some performance features that cannot be disputed such as UV resistance and low water absorbsion and again (I've said it before) it sinks!

Check out the Seaguar website for some interesting fluorocarbon "myth" comments.

Yeah....good idea....check out the sight that sells the stuff. They will be the first to tell us that the stuff is not good....lol.

I only wanted to give a slight warning to fishermen about fluorocarbon line. I saw long ago that the stuff is crap. I've since then tried out other fluorocarbon lines and was very disappointed.

Ok....All of my fishing is done with line from 2 to 6 lb test (most of the time with 4 lb mono) except for when I use braided line for long lining or for pike or deep saltwater fish. I have been fishing with very light lines for over 40 years.

I make my own fly fishing leaders up to 18 feet long and 3/4 lb test. Yes.....350 grams.

No....I don't want my line to fall to the bottom. I only want my bait to fall to the bottom and I want that when I pull on my line, the bait hops off the bottom and not drag on the bottom.

If you want more abrasion resistance, use some good old fashioned Stren Original. It won the contest in the abrasion resistance test about 10 years ago. Or buy Berkley XT or other "tough line" that is harder and less elastic than Berkley XL or all the fluorocarbon lines.

I don't care if someone wants to use fluorocarbon line. I just wanted to warn against all the lies that the companies who sell the stuff say about it.

I only use fluorocarbon as a leader on my Dispy Divers and my home made worm harness I use on Lake Erie.

I use to use 12# mono for my worm harnesses but they kept getting chewed up while dragging on the bottom of Erie filled with Zebra Mussels...so I started to tie the harnesses with 20# fluorocarbon and the results have been very good.....it takes the harsh environment of the rough lake floor without giving up bites.

Read the stretch test in the second link I sent. Fluorocarbon stretches just as much as Berkley XL. Berkley XL is about the most elastic line you can find.

The 10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon was subjected to a stess of 3 lbs during the stretch test (1/3 it's strength). This is very little stress in my book. All the fluorocarbon lines were difformed and therefore weakened after such a light test and meanwhile the mono did not show any signs of stress after the tests.

I read the link a long time ago when it was posted on this board. I was basing my information on personal experience not on scientific evidence, as I have not tested a wide range of lines. Personally I fish with braid almost exclusively, and I am moving to mono leaders, but I do think that fluoro has its purposes. From what I have been reading lately a lot of people seem to like using it for ice fishing.

Edited by fishgreg

Guest chase4chrome

Dude as I've said elsewhere, you want low stretch material that gives you solid hook-sets use Fireline. You have to take care to tie good knots though (ie. a Palomar Knot)--that having been accomplished you're golden.

I throw my spinnerbaits on straight fuoro and I use fluoro leaders for almost all of my soft plastic fishing. I 100% disagree with your assessment that it is the same elasticity as mono. It has a significant amount less stretch, it is not "invisible" but is certainly less visible and far more abrasion resistant. I am a firm believer on fluorocarbon, but hey, to each their own.

Edited by Steve Rowbotham

I've used nothing but Seaguar (sp) floro on my spinning reel for the last three or four years... 8lb.

I have noticed that there is significantly less stretch than regular mono, I have found it very difficult to break, especially when I'm snagged up and I have found that it's stiffness helps to avoid some of the line twist I would get from jiggin all day.

I've used it in extreme conditions, -35 degrees and it still worked well.

Sorry you don't like the stuff, but I am sold!

HH

The owners of Tackle Tour do a great deal of fishing all over North and South America and they use Flurocarbon line and leaders most of the time. That says somthing, tests from years ago notwithstanding. Charlie Wray from Fishfull Thinking TV is a spokesperson for Seagar and his claim is that when attaching fluro to "O" rings (which attaches most cranks to the line) you should tie with a single uni knot vs palomar,clinch, Triline etc knots. It's an extremely easy knot to tie and it works very well resulting in a small slippage free knot. I use it to tie on cranks with "O" ring but also on snaps, snap swivels etc. I use a double uni to attach fluro leader to mainline braid which is also a small easy knot. Personally I never use mono anymore.

as usual, online reports are taken as gold, instead of being taken as what they should be, a report.. that's it!

if you dont like it, stop using it.. but dont get all pissed off because of one or two bad experiences, or because of some report!

fact is, when it comes to fishing you can use equipment or techniques that you hear about online or cause some pro told you, or you can go out there and let the fish tell you what is good or not. Sometimes, it takes a flurocarbon leader, otherwise you will be one of those that wonder why you didnt catch anything.. sometimes it doesnt make a difference and any line will do.

..why am I answering this...? Where's Roy??? :whistling:

I don't get your complaint. Flouro sinks every flouro sinks and you are trying to make it float. Flouro was never advertised to float it was always advertised that flouro sinks.

Flouro was never advertised as no stretch, it's less stretch than mono, braid isn't advertised as no stretch most say 2%.

So a product does what it's designed to do and doesn't fit your needs. That's not junk.

I use the trilene flouro in the gold box can't remember the name 10lb for bass leaders 6 for float fishing I catch tonnes of steelhead on the 6lb I pulled a 5-6lb steely out of a logjam on a Erie trib a couple weeks ago that would never have happened with mono I have landed fish with flouro that had little squigglies hanging off of it from rubbing on wood, rocks,docks and lots of other underwater nastiness only time I use mono is for backing,center pins and for crankbaits everything else is braid/flouro I use seagur 60lb for pike and it's like a anchor rope in strenth and the pike don't seem to mind it.

for me flourocarbon = NOT junk LOL

If I was to go out bass fishing all day on my folks lake, you bet I would have a floro leader tied on my braid! the water is very clear and full of zebra mussels and even 20LB braid on it's own comes up looking like Shrek just used it in his teeth. however, walleye fishing I use it 1/2 the time as a leader. I tried it as a mainline on my new Stradic FJ and it just would not stay on the spool so I know I won't try that ever again. braid, braid and more braid with a hint of floro for me...

OK, for all the folks reading this and who are relatively new to fishing, please do not use fluorocarbon as a mainline on your reels. Regardless of what you may have read, seen or heard of, fluorocarbon is one of those marketing jokes gone awry. You can and may however use a short length of the stuff ..say 12" to 48" as a leader between your mainline (monofilament or braid) and your live or artificial bait. The small calibers of fluorocarbon such as 4lbs or so are mainly used by people who think that a fish has the intelligence to become alarmed at having a piece of dental floss attached to their dinner of plastic with treble hooks. The large calibers such as 100lbs or so are mainly used by muskie fishermen who are concerned about the damage that a steel leader can cause to a fish rolling on a leader during combat.

There are literally hundreds of brands of monofilament lines and braided lines. For monos, go with a standard brand such as Stren or Trilene. For the braids again, go with the standards although most are almost the same. Don't be fooled by all the colourful boxes on the shelves...some manufacturers will go to great lengths to make you buy their inferior product. If you see packaging with beautiful holographic images that looks like it's worth more than the line, it probably is. Use common sense.

OK, for all the folks reading this and who are relatively new to fishing, please do not use fluorocarbon as a mainline on your reels. Regardless of what you may have read, seen or heard of, fluorocarbon is one of those marketing jokes gone awry. You can and may however use a short length of the stuff ..say 12" to 48" as a leader between your mainline (monofilament or braid) and your live or artificial bait. The small calibers of fluorocarbon such as 4lbs or so are mainly used by people who think that a fish has the intelligence to become alarmed at having a piece of dental floss attached to their dinner of plastic with treble hooks. The large calibers such as 100lbs or so are mainly used by muskie fishermen who are concerned about the damage that a steel leader can cause to a fish rolling on a leader during combat.

There are literally hundreds of brands of monofilament lines and braided lines. For monos, go with a standard brand such as Stren or Trilene. For the braids again, go with the standards although most are almost the same. Don't be fooled by all the colourful boxes on the shelves...some manufacturers will go to great lengths to make you buy their inferior product. If you see packaging with beautiful holographic images that looks like it's worth more than the line, it probably is. Use common sense.

I was going to add a comment,but you have me out of words,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No wait

Lost my train of thought. :wallbash:

Edited by Misfish