Fluorocarbon line is junk!!!

Dabluz

I keep reading that people like to use fluorocarbon. I hate the stuff and see no reason for using it. Yes....I tried it in 6 lb test, 15 lb test and in 30 lb test. Anyway, here is proof that the stuff is junk. It is as elastic as monofilament, it has less knot strength than monofilament, it is not stronger than monofilament, it is not less visible than monofilament and when stressed it remains deformed while monofilament goes back to it's former state after being stressed. On top of that, fluorocarbon is much more expensive and casts like......

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Edited by Dabluz

Tough day at the office? :whistling::sarcasm:

I have had no issues so far. I have used it as a leader for smallies and now for the river. Bad spools perhaps? :dunno:

I guess you didn't read the 2 tests that are in the links I posted. Sure the tests were done in 2007 but fluorocarbon is still fluorocarbon. If it had been improved, the companies would have changed the name of the product. There are only 3 companies who make fluorocarbon anyway.

I only use fluorocarbon as a leader for everything I fish for. I use 1.1-30Lb for bass, carp, match (caught a 3lb carp on 1.1lb line), pike..so on.............. AND I never has a problem with line strength, knot strength. Maybe you picked up a bad batch, happened to me a couple times.

A 2007 test would be as valid as using 1980 emission data to rate today's engines. Flouro line has it's place bit it's not the end all and be all. I've seen enough side by side comparison to know that this stuff works. Took a few of my buddies a year to figure out why I'd catch 15 trout ice fishing when they caught 4. I'm a believer in flouro and please try the P line products. There is no better line out there than the Halo. Pricey it be but worth it

I Cast 15lb Fluoro straight on my spinnerbait rod...I like it I get distance and have never...never broke off. I used 12lb on my crankbait rod this fall...I had no problems with it again, incredible distance and only one break off in a bunch of outings(musky hit the crank)

Are you using it.....right lol

I guess you didn't read the 2 tests that are in the links I posted. Sure the tests were done in 2007 but fluorocarbon is still fluorocarbon. If it had been improved, the companies would have changed the name of the product. There are only 3 companies who make fluorocarbon anyway.

Ya I did, and proof is in the use of the line. IMO

Like I said,I have had no issues.

It,s like watching a commercial,where Ford says thier the tougher

truck compared to Dodge or GMC.LOL

Each to thier own.

I've been using Floro as a mainline and leader for a while now and really like it. I find it more abrasion resistant than mono and I never break off fish.

You definitely need to pay close attention to your knots and lube it when tightening.

It can tend to develop memory easier on the reel, but line conditioner helps.

I'm a fan of the P-line and Seaguar stuff... pricey tho.

Honestly, i started using it because you guys told me to use it.Years ago, all there was,was Mono.

It does, however, give me a confidence while i am fishing. It allows me to use incredibly thin braid to catch incredibly toothy fish. This year, i have caught huge walleye, a couple of small muskie, and some nice Pike, on thread sized 10lb braid, with flouro leader. Maybe mono would have worked just as well, but i seem to remember losing alot of fish way back when,because the fish cut through the monofilament.

I will continue to use flouro because i believe it works, and that allows me to catch more fish.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i like fluoro leaders. never real got the advantage of using a full fluoro mainline when a 2 foot leader would likely do the same in 99% of situations.

One big advantage that fluoro has over mono & braid is that it sinks. This can be very important for certain presentations.

Suggestion: Take a look at some of the fluorocarbon coated lines. They offer some of the benefits (of fluoro) without the knot and handling issues.

Having said all that, I still use Trilene XT and Big Game mono on a regular basis. I change my line often and Fluoro can become very costly.

I only use it for leaders, so the price is not a big deal. A spool or two lasts a season...relative to the rest of the money I spend on tackle and equipment, it's not that big a hit.

I use Fireline on all my spinning reels as main line, but used mono for years and find fluoro is a little tougher. I just have a little more confidence with it so the extra $20 or so a year is fine with me.

I did buy fluoro once that was junk...I forget the name but I recognize it when I see it and haven't bought it since. That said, I've bought terrible mono too.

It seem to be more abrasion resistant and stronger knot strength than most of the others.

When you talk about knot strength, are you refering to slippage or the actual knot breaking. I have been using saliva when tightening knots in flouro, and so far(touch wood) no slippage or breaking. I started,late this season, to but a drop of anglers glue on the knot.I read somewhere it helps.dunno.gif

Fluoro is just a tool.

Doesn't matter how good a wrench you have, if you use it as a hammer.

Thats a great quote ! Can I use it sometime ?

I use flouro lots of time but not all the time. Mostly just leaders for bass (12#), trout(4-6#) and pike (50#)

Thousands of pro fisherman that fish for millions of dollars all use flourocarbon line. I doubt that its just because they are sponsored