Cold weather muskie hunting...and a PB!

ccmtcanada

Fishnsled and I had planned a while ago to reserve this day to go hunt down some fall muskies. I have not been able to break the 40" mark when it came to any fish...and I was hoping to break that today. It was a cold morning...with a skim of ice at the boat launch. Good thing there wasn't any wind!

We launched just after 8am and headed towards our first spot. As we neared it, we noticed a hunter hunkered down right where we wanted to fish...so we decided that they guy with a gun wins...LOL. Off we went to spot number two...the wind freezing our faces off!

We began working an area and just we got near the end, I cast out my suick and begin working it back to the boat. I was pausing the retrieve after long sweeps, and as soon as I began to bring it forward again I feel a hit! A fish took a swipe at it and missed, so I let the bait stay there for a few seconds and began my retrieve again. The fish smacked it hard and I set the hook! It went crazy for about 5 seconds before I was able to get it under control. I brought it to the side of the boat and knew I had a chance at breaking my previous PB Muskie of 39.5". This fish will get MUCH bigger...it had a HUGE head and was just beginning to bulk up. Quick measure put it at 41.5"...a new PB! I know it's not a trophy fish...but it feels good break that 40" barrier...now need to get a 50! LOL

41andhalfmuskie.jpg

A little while later, as Fishnsled says "we're entering a hot spot right here". Almost immediately he says "look...here's a follow!" A few minutes later he sets the hook and a little muskie shoots out of the water! It wasn't a big one, but it sure was exciting!

willmuskie.jpg

The bite turned off after that...but the temperature warmed up some and we had a great day on the water...lots of laughs and good times. :thumbsup_anim:

Off to fish for Walleye tomorrow on Sturgeon Lake with Big Cliff...that promises to be a great time...fish or no fish!

Great goin'. I saw you guys at the country style this morning while it was still dark. I had a great day too. Giant smallies, largies, a few small muskies, pike, and a tiger, it was crazy! Great job on the PB! Sorry I didn't say hi, I realized it was you when I walked out.

nice going on the PB cliff just keep chucking them baits and a 50 will find them.

Just out of curiosity what time were the fish turned on at?

When we were out they turned on fast at 12:30 we had 2 and another bat in the same are also had 2 by 1pm they were done as we stuck it out until 1:30 with out a sniff I sent a couple buddies over there and they got 2 just before and after moon rise.

Thanks again everyone!

nice going on the PB cliff just keep chucking them baits and a 50 will find them.

Just out of curiosity what time were the fish turned on at?

When we were out they turned on fast at 12:30 we had 2 and another bat in the same are also had 2 by 1pm they were done as we stuck it out until 1:30 with out a sniff I sent a couple buddies over there and they got 2 just before and after moon rise.

I have been finding that the past month and a half. Most of our fish right at noon'ish

The first fish came in just after 9am...but the follow and Fishnsled's fish came around 1130ish. We didn't see another fish the rest of the day. We got off the water about an hour after moonrise...hoping for at least one more.