Dogs and the Fishing Lifestyle

Joey

After losing our beloved cat of 18 years earlier this year, I have been seriously considering getting another family pet. I have the resources and the love to give a pet, and am thinking maybe this time we should get a dog (I have owned dogs before).

I am questioning this decision due to our fishing lifestyle and wonder how many of you have dogs and if it affects your fishing lifestyle in a good or bad way?

Do you take your dog with you on every trip?

If you do, does he enjoy it, especially in the boat?

If not, what do you do with the dog when you go?

Do most hotels/motels allow a dog?

Do most campsites/cabins allow a dog?

Any of your experiences, good or bad, would be very helpful in my decision, so thanks in advance.

Joey

Hey Joey. As you can tell by my avatar, I have a chocolate Lab named Toby. He's still a young dog (13 months old) and I take him everywhere with me. He's a great dog who loves to be out on the boat with us.

He gets a little fussy on the longer boat trips that I have learned to bring a few treats and toys to settle him down. He really enjoys trying to fight with the fish we land :lol: He is really good company for me when I fish alone.

Most campsites that I have visited do allow pets (on leashes).

Hope that helps you in your decision.

Tony

Hi Joey.

Best fishing partner I had was my dog. Sorry to all that fish with me ;)

She loved the boat, water and going out. When I was packing for trips she would sleep on my stuff to make sure I did not forget her.

She would sit at the back of the boat waiting for the salmon to make the reel scream. :) then do the happy dance and lick the fish.

Lots of hotels now accept dog's unfortunately they make sure you pay extra for it. Same for camp sites.

My dog was only out a few times this year before she passed away.. I miss her on the boat as the extra company is great.

Boattestingnight031.jpg

Marvin loves a boat ride Joey and would happily cruise around all day, but as soon as I start to speed up he gets nervous. I think it may be from the vibration of the faster speeds.

Also, everytime I make a cast he thinks I'm throwing a ball and tries to dive in the drink to retrieve it.

So yes, my dog enjoys fishing, but I can only go 1 MPH and I'm not allowed to cast.

Just something for you to think about :lol:

Cnv0457.jpg

We have two dogs and typically they go with us on all our fishing trips (except for our Lakair GTG). They both also go with us out on the boat and behave very well. We also bring along some snacks, but they want them the minute we get them in the boat. They're fine for hours. Once in a while we'll pull up on shore to let them out to take are of business and run a round a bit - which they just love. Our Airdale does not like the water and is not a swimmer, so she wears a life jacket - and does not mind it at all. Of course, having pets does limit us on which camps we can go to - due to a "No Pets" policy. Some camps do charge extra for pets as well.

I don't think you and Paul leave baits laying around the boat Joey, but it's something you'll have to be thinking about all the time. I know guys who switch baits, throw them on the floor of the boat and the next thing you know, the poor pooch has one in his foot.

Hi Joey

My Lab hates the boat, My Pom loves it. Most campsites have no problem with dogs, Hotels tend to be less tolerant.Then again, it depends what kind of dog.I even take my Pom shopping.My Lab would break everything in the store, and lick all the customersblink.gif

I am very lucky to have neighbors i can trust, so they take care of them for me when i go away for more that a day trip.

Andy use to love to fish, and he was wonderful in the boat, well, he did get a little excited when you caught a fish and heaven help you if you threw it back, he actually dove in off the dock to try and retrieve a large carp one time because he thought it was getting away.

Only issue we ever had was my own fault, I left a tray of luers sitting on the casting deck (closed) someone hooked a fish, Andy got excited, stepped on the tray which promptly flipped up in the air and opened showering Andy with countless trebble hooks. Fortunatly he was trained to freeze on the spot when told. I gave him the command, he froze and while many of the luers landed on him and caught in his fur none of the hooks dug into him but it could have been a disaster.

Because Sue doesn't fish Andy never interfeared with my fishing, there was always one of us around to take care of him and if and when we did travel we always had someone that would come and stay at our house with him.

I think it is wonderful that you are thinking about getting a dog, I can't think of a more loving home for one but since both you and Paul like to fish together I do think it would make it more difficult for you. Good luck whatever your decision ends up being.

I don't think you and Paul leave baits laying around the boat Joey, but it's something you'll have to be thinking about all the time. I know guys who switch baits, throw them on the floor of the boat and the next thing you know, the poor pooch has one in his foot.

Exactly, and an excellent point. We make sure nothing with a hook is in a place the dogs can get to it - accidently or just by curiosity.

I would go to the local animal adoption and see if they have a dog that has outdoor life experience that is in the mid size range. I think a corgi would be a great dog for you and Paul. They are the right size and built for the outdoors and have a great personality for you and the people you visit.

Art

ya but Roy dont think Joey would go for your licking your .... J I have two of the largest Bouviers you have ever seen Bov on a good days is 140 and Ollie is easy 160 , even on my boat (42 foot sport fish) they take up the whole back deck , tho they are old now (13 years) they love it in the boat, took them on many trips on the boat, to Jamaica , all the southern states , I have taken my boat to greenland with them , before I got sick every 2 or 3 years we went to spend the winter somewear in the boat . best fishing partners I ever had . Maybe expect for the time I pulled into Youngstown to gas up for the trip back to TO and as I was getting On plane I looked back and no dogs on the deck , as I said they are hard to miss ,Turned aroud and there they were setting on the end of the gas dock waiting for me to return . Dogs require lots of time , not like a cat you cant go away for the weekend and just leave them , but I have snuck them up the back stairs in many a hotel/motel camping site etc. if I can hide two monsters one dog of normal size should not be too much trouble, like they say dogs are mans best friend .If you put in the time to train them never been a problem with me and fishing .

Thanks to everyone who replied, some great info here. And Roy, if you fetch Paul a beer, you're in :lol:

I've been looking at the French Bulldog, mostly for size and they seem non-hyper, and many other reasons, they just seem to be a good fit.

Still pondering here though, and I appreciate all the responses.

Great story Capt Bruce and I can't believe all the places you've travelled on your boat.

Love the part about the dogs on the dock :lol:

Ya Lew I love my boat hate that I had to move back into a house after liveing on the boat for so many years, the house was for my children me and the wife and the dogs stayed on the boat almost allways ., first time this year boat was out of the water for so so long last time I took her out was 1998 , not gonna miss the cold cold walks to the showers in the mornings in Feb., was my dream to go around the globe when I retired , not in the boat I have now , gas being what it is , but tradeing up to maybe a 50 foot sailboat , go aroud the bottom of Africa , south america, into the Pacific , I guess when you were in the navy you did all that, but you never know Im not gone yet and my wife is still game you never know ,

Edited by capt bruce

Funny how things work out. I always said the first thing I wanted to get when I retired was a fishing dog. We had 2 dogs and a cat when we got married but my daughters severe reactions to flea bites made us give up our furry friends. Fast forward and circumstances conspired to have us with 2 cats instead. But I still wanted a dog as I always had one growing up. One cat is gone now but I have really grown to love the one we have. So much so that I'm starting to rethink getting a dog when I retire... they are just that much more work and an inconvenience when you wanna travel. I am told we will be doing MUCH travelling when we retire. Our lifestyle now is much more suited to having a nice friendly cat to come home too. I never ever thought I would be a cat person...but I guess it is true. Pearl...our kitty... has made me appreciate having a cat.

Just tossing in my 2 cents Joey. I know whatever decision you make will be right for yourself and Paul.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

How about a dwarf dog Joey? I'm good with everything on that list plus, I'm small, I don't take up too much room and I clean up my own messes.

Joey, smack him on the nose with a newspaper if he starts licking his b.........never mind

Edited by Terry

My family's dogs were uncomfortable on the boat the first few times but after didn't mind. Depending on what size and kind of dog you get they may be a huge time investment and demand you to be really active with them. Also -- if you take your dog ice fishing with you and use tip-ups, please be careful to never leave a minnow out of the water with hook/line still attached. I had a really scary experience with this a couple of years ago.

Since people are posting pics:

img1412f.jpg

All of my dogs loved the boat. As for fishing, well I've posted enough times about my fish theiving hound, carp retriever and companion. Peanut would get out with me more often, but some folks feel uncomfortable with her rambunctious ways. Also, an excitable dog is not always a good thing in a busy boat.