Too much fishing.Where do YOU draw the line?

mercman

The wife and i were sitting on the deck this morning haveing coffee, and looking around the yard.Grass uncut, weeds in the flowers, fence needing mending, branches on the ground after irene passed through.

"We will have to sell this place in a couple of years, cause we cant keep up with the place" She said.

I thought about that for a few minutes, and then i said."Since the first of may, we have fished every day it hasnt rained. We get home from work, and within 1/2 hour,we are on the water till dark.When we arent fishing, its raining. I checked the GPS, and we have fished for over 230 hours since may."

We looked at each other, and she said"Well, next year we will have to balance our fishing with our other resposibilities like house work, and yard work."

So we decided right there, that next year, fishing will be 1 step lower on the priority list, and that house up keep will be our number 1.

Then we got in gear, cut the grass, mended the fence, and de-weeded the gardens. I feel we caught ourselves just in time.

Cudz's thread really made me stop and think. Even though we fish together, the enjoyment can become an addicdtion, and the addiction can cause the rest of the world to collapse around us.Non fishing friends stopped callling us because we were always on the water.dunno.gif

So, with the fall rapidly approaching and the days getting shorter, we will slowly withdraw from the addiction, and next spring, hopefully we will approach the new soft water season better able to balance fishing with the rest of our lives.

Thats next year. for now, there will still be lots of time to fishwhistling.gifclapping.gif

That's the best part of retirement Paul, plenty of time to do whatever the heck I want to do.

Cut the grass, go fish'n, pull weeds, do what the wife wants, or just sit on the back deck, put my feet up and listen to the sounds of nature :thumbsup_anim:

When there's a 12" cast frying pan in the wifes hand when you are trying to sneak out or back in, you know you have reached the point of excess. I'm going to lend the neighbours wife my frying pan, his yard needs a healthy dose of maintenance instead of him blowing on a musical instrument.

Wow! - getting some nice use out of the Princecraft in the first year!good.gif Way to go. .For sure some of your excess has come from the desire to enjoy your new boat; and the fact that you are identifying the time spent there at the expense of your other life opportunities, means you will in all likelihood find a new balance soon. I would think you will become more selective on your fishing days just as a matter of course - especially now you have noticed the addictions affect. I give myself 1 day out of each weekend to fish and one to the honey do list. I sneak to the river for a cast or two when time permits. Of course once soft water season is over, the other half gets the one day a week to entertain her addiction and I stay home.

Moderation in everything, including moderation

As someone mentioned in Cudz's thread, it's not fishing that's the problem, it's addicting that's the problem. Many of us...well some of us...okay at least ME would say your crazy for thinking that anything's wrong with the way you've enjoyed the summer with your wife. On the one hand, you have a point about not keeping up with the chores...on the other hand, you've both been doing something you enjoy and best of all, doing it together!!!

I will settle for moderation. It's all about BALANCE.

The wife and i were sitting on the deck this morning haveing coffee, and looking around the yard.Grass uncut, weeds in the flowers, fence needing mending, branches on the ground after irene passed through.

"We will have to sell this place in a couple of years, cause we cant keep up with the place" She said.

I thought about that for a few minutes, and then i said."Since the first of may, we have fished every day it hasnt rained. We get home from work, and within 1/2 hour,we are on the water till dark.When we arent fishing, its raining. I checked the GPS, and we have fished for over 230 hours since may."

We looked at each other, and she said"Well, next year we will have to balance our fishing with our other resposibilities like house work, and yard work."

So we decided right there, that next year, fishing will be 1 step lower on the priority list, and that house up keep will be our number 1.

Then we got in gear, cut the grass, mended the fence, and de-weeded the gardens. I feel we caught ourselves just in time.

Cudz's thread really made me stop and think. Even though we fish together, the enjoyment can become an addicdtion, and the addiction can cause the rest of the world to collapse around us.Non fishing friends stopped callling us because we were always on the water.dunno.gif

So, with the fall rapidly approaching and the days getting shorter, we will slowly withdraw from the addiction, and next spring, hopefully we will approach the new soft water season better able to balance fishing with the rest of our lives.

Thats next year. for now, there will still be lots of time to fishwhistling.gifclapping.gif

Every one.... get to know Skipper D , he has a landscape excavating business and labours who can take care of all those back yard chores while we all go fishing ...lol...lol...lol .

My parents had a house on a lake and left it to me. I am retired could not keep up both home and house on the Lake. Too much to keep up both homes and money to pay utilities, insurance, taxes and membership dues. Sold the house on the lake. Family had house on the lake before I was born. Spent most of my years on and around the lake fishing and hunting. It was hard to give it up. Would love to keep it for the grandkids. I don't know how my Dad was able to keep up both houses. Funny how things were so important when you were younger but don't mean as much when you get older.

Wow! - getting some nice use out of the Princecraft in the first year!good.gif Way to go. .For sure some of your excess has come from the desire to enjoy your new boat; and the fact that you are identifying the time spent there at the expense of your other life opportunities, means you will in all likelihood find a new balance soon. I would think you will become more selective on your fishing days just as a matter of course - especially now you have noticed the addictions affect. I give myself 1 day out of each weekend to fish and one to the honey do list. I sneak to the river for a cast or two when time permits. Of course once soft water season is over, the other half gets the one day a week to entertain her addiction and I stay home.

Moderation in everything, including moderation

I think you are right about the "NEW" boat thing. It allows me to venture farther onto the water and explore new fishing areas.This is only my second year back to fishing, so the drive to re-learn and catch fish is really strong.

I am pretty lucky to have a wife you shares my passion thoughclapping.gif

I love to fish

I was getting the feeling that the wife thought I was spending too much time fishing

so on top of all the fishing I took up golfing

I took up skiing and paint balling biking and hunting

then she said this has got to spot you have no time for me

so I told her I will give up hunting and biking

then I gave up skiing and paint balling

then I told her I was giving up golf just for her

she loved it and has never complained about the one vise I have....

Ok I made the whole thing up

she never complains about how much time I spend fishing

she says if it gives me that much happiness to fish

then it makes her happy to so me so happy

life is good

Then we got in gear, cut the grass, mended the fence, and de-weeded the gardens.

Great, so you're back on track. Now get out fishing. Don't worry though, the grass and weeds will keep growing and in a week or two you can cut it again. All's well that ends well.

Great, so you're back on track. Now get out fishing. Don't worry though, the grass and weeds will keep growing and in a week or two you can cut it again. All's well that ends well.

good.gif I like your logic.biggrin.gif Maybe we'll get out on the water in the morning.Not as if we have alot to do now that its all been done today.clapping.gif

240 hours is only 30 days x 8 hour,pretty good but not near an addiction,I usually do 600 to 1000 hours,and my grass is always(mostly cut,I don,t sweat the petty things) An addiction is bad for you, a passion is good for you, fish as much as you can,you only live once and when you die the grass keeps growing.

Paul, great post.......fishing is suppose to get you away from all the bull of everyday life...there will always be grass to cut and fences to mend...I have a neighbor across the street that nothing to do except take care of her yard....she cuts the grass several times a week...and I don't mean just cut the grass...she weed wacks, edges, blows off the driveway, the side walk and part of the street....anything that makes a lot of noise she has....we get almost no peace and quite all summer long, not to mention the fumes from all those power tools...boy do I wish she would take up painting....like painting my garage...LOL...

While I was working on the RR I would do all my domestic chores during the week so I had the whole weekend off to fish....planned my vacations around fishing/hunting.....took days off in the spring in the middle of the week to fish crappies on a nice sunny day...I was fishing over 100 days a year...not to mention hunting..

When I was younger I had that fishing drive and my understanding wife let me go ALL the time and whenever and for as long as I wanted all while taking care of 2 boys and a dog....I got bit by the walleye tournament bug and fished several every year...now if there's a tournament I avoid those waters like the plague. But I learned a LOT and wouldn't trade those years for anything.

Yesterday I went walleye fishing on Lake Erie with a old high school buddy....we didn't catch squat and it was one of the most enjoyably outing I had this year.

Where was I going with this.... :dunno: ...oh,yea......if you're having fun and the bride also enjoys it, go while you still feel healthy enough to do it....I now go a week or two without wanting to fish because of my RA...I'm even thinking of giving my son Billy the boat and mentioned that to Cindy...she said....hold on....you're not done yet.....I hope she's right...

So FISH FISH FISH if you and your wife enjoin it that much.....and do the other crap on windy/rainy days....summers are short in the north...always remember that if nothing else.

Good Luck Fishing,

Bob

First Line of complaint on my divorce papers.... He spends all his time fishing.

My first wife used to say "He would rather fish than (ahem) make love" !

I figured that you can always (ahem) "make love" but you can't always go fishing...whistling.gif

Too much fishing.Where do YOU draw the line?

I don't, she does. :)

I am a tiny shadow of my old fishing self. Mainly because I have a young family. I put in my 250+ days a year on the water in the past.

Maybe once the kids have grown I will want to fish as hardcore as I once did. But right now, the days I do get to spend on the water I cherish them more. I will admit, I think about fishing 24/7. Probably why I have two businesses now in the fishing industry. Have to have my toes in the water some how!

Kind of like eating potatoe chips, if you only eat one handful they taste so much better then when you can have the full bag. For me anyways.