engine trouble

tightline

Hey guys have a honda 5hp 4 stroke thats giving me grief. I can start the engine no prob and it'll run for a min or 2 but then quits...couple pulls and its fired back up, min or 2 down again...any ideas? Trying to get it in order for the cure for cancer tourney...hope you's can help

Trying to get it in order for the cure for cancer tourney...hope you's can help

The good news is: You won't need the engine for the tourney. I don't know if you were aware but the lake is electric only.

The bad news is: I have no idea what to advise you on your engine.

Hey guys have a honda 5hp 4 stroke thats giving me grief. I can start the engine no prob and it'll run for a min or 2 but then quits...couple pulls and its fired back up, min or 2 down again...any ideas? Trying to get it in order for the cure for cancer tourney...hope you's can help

Is it peeing?

Could be a few things.

First off it could be a fuel problem or an electrical issue.

I have a couple of questions: after it dies do you have to pump the primer bulb to get it to restart?

Have you checked the fuel filter to see that it is full of fuel when the engine dies?

If you have and the filter is empty/bulb needs to be used to reprime the system you either have an air leak before the primer in the line or you have a problem with the fuel pump. If fuel is fine you probably have an electrical issue either an intermittant ignition component or a loose connection somewhere. Check all connections and disconnect and reconnect any bullet connectors.

If the problem persists head on over to your local Honda Marine Mechanic and have them look it over for you.

The bulb does soften up and re priming is necessary...it ran like a dream the last time I had it out until the last day of our trip? Then on the way back to camp this prob started arising??

Thanks HTHM for that news flash, would have been a slow day on the water paddling my 14ftr around :wallbash:

That happened to me and I found out that the fuel filter was semi-pluged the presure when you pump the bulb would force more gas past the obstruction. If the motor will keep going if you continue to pump the bulb then I would bet that is what is wrong.

• 1 month later...

when I had the same problem it was where the gas line meets the engine

it was sucking a little air

if I squeezed the blub real hard I could get some gas to leak out

a new connector or a bit of teflon tape solved the problem for me on a honda 5 hp

That happened to me and I found out that the fuel filter was semi-pluged the presure when you pump the bulb would force more gas past the obstruction. If the motor will keep going if you continue to pump the bulb then I would bet that is what is wrong.

Yup, first thing I would do is change the fuel filter based on the fact that it happened to you on a return trip. But it could be as Wayne suggested or an air leak. My bet would be on the fuel filter though.