We lost another great man

A York Regional police officer has died after being trapped under a vehicle during a traffic stop east of Newmarket.

The officer, a male in his 30s, was on duty at a highway stop on Hwy. 48 near Herald Rd. when he was struck and trapped under his police cruiser. He managed to send out a call for help to York police.

Emergency crews were on the scene around 5 a.m. and the officer was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Hwy. 48 is closed from Davis Dr. to Mount Albert Rd. due to major police presence as the investigation continues.

The OPP is advising motorists to expect the closure to remain for most of Tuesday.

It was a tough way to wake up this morning. I didn't know him, and but a friend of mine knew him. He was a great guy and a father of two young children.

Rest in peace brother.

Hero In Life, Not Death

From CP24:

York Regional Police have confirmed that an officer who was struck by a vehicle during a traffic stop Tuesday morning has died of his injuries.

The fatal collision occurred on Highway 48, which is closed in both directions between Mount Albert Road and Davis Drive, east of Newmarket.

Police said the officer was struck by a vehicle while he was conducting a traffic stop on Highway 48, near Herald Road, in East Gwillimbury at about 4:45 a.m.

The officer was standing outside of his vehicle when he was struck.

Footage from Chopper 24 showed a light-coloured van off the highway in a field. The van appeared to have damage to its front end.

It's believed one male has been taken into custody by police.

Officers have set up a wide perimeter. A canine unit is scouring the area for any additional suspects.

Ontario Provincial Police are involved in the investigation, as well. OPP said Highway 48 is expected to be closed between Mount Albert Road and Davis Drive for most of the day.

Very bad news. It's the same with construction workers...people zoom by as if doing 10 over the speed limit is more important than a life.

When someone is out of their vehicles on a highway, drivers must slow down and pay close attention....be it emergency, construction or other.

What a tragedy. Too kids to grow up without their Dad. A woman has to go through the trials and tribulations of raising children without the love and support of her husband whilst dealing with the loss. Horrible.

Edited by Grimace

I spoke with my son this morning who is an officer. Funny how he tends to call me whenever an officer dies or comes close to dying. I love my son very much and I am so honored to be his Mom. It makes me feel good that he is able to talk with me about the sorrow he feels for his fellow officer and at the same time I just pray that I never stop getting his phone calls.

My deepest condolences to this officer's family and friends.

Last I heard on the news was that it was a 15 year old un licensed driver!

My heart goes out to the family and friends, so many lives shattered for such a stupid reason.

[/quote

I hate hearing this type of news . . . Condolences to the family and friends again.

I've raised four children (girls, now in their 20s and 30s) at NO time were they allowed to touch a vehicle unless they went to school and learned how to operate it at a licensed school. They always asked to be driven to a function.

My keys were always available but at no time my vehicle got moved, even out of the driveway by any of them. Even to this day when they come over they will ask if they can move my car out of the driveway so they can unload the toddlers. and yes two have had fender benders.

Since I heard of this, many questions have come to mind, and their upbringing comes to mind, but I may be wrong.

My only concern is the damage this 'young offender' has left behind. many people with their future shattered because they went out and wanted a good time.

I know who i' m thinking about this evening. The family that lost a loved one that was out there trying to protect us.

I have to admit, I nearly shed a tear watching this on the news this afternoon. They played the audio of some of his last words. Unbelievable how calm he sounded considering he had a vehicle on top of him.

It's my aspiration to become a police officer one day, and know many of them to be close friends.

News like this is horrible.

Edited by N.A.W

I will admit that being a son of a police officer this did disturb me for a lot of the day. On the list of the past fallen officers was my dad's partner and this is why it bothered me even more so.

Right now I'm at a loss for words as to what I want to say....

But I will say this. Those kids (and yes that IS what they are) are screwed for as long as they live. A COP will always look after another COP and he will not die in vein (SP?) for doing his/her job. I hope that the driver is not aloud to drive ever just for being such a fool.

I wish all the COP's out there a safe day every day they go to work as a son of one. Yes, I have many a friend in Durham and York that wear a badge and I hope to never hear of this to one of them or a friend. Things like this hit more people then just the so called few involved so to the fallen officer Constable Garrett Styles I say thank you. :worthy:

Geoff

Seems they charged the driver with 1st degree murder in this case.

Police charge 15-year-old with murder in officer's death

CTV.ca News Staff

York Regional Police have charged a 15-year-old boy with first-degree murder in connection with the death of Const. Garrett Styles, who was pinned underneath a van during a traffic stop near Newmarket, Ont.

Styles, 32, was killed Tuesday morning after being struck and pinned underneath a minivan containing four youths during a traffic stop at Herald Road and Highway 48 in the town of East Gwillimbury, east of Newmarket.

Police say Styles was standing at the driver-side door when the vehicle accelerated, dragging him into a field before the driver of the van lost control and flipped over.

The unlicensed 15-year-old driver was taken to hospital with serious injuries. He was transferred to Toronto Western Hospital overnight and is said to be suffering injuries to his neck and back.

On Wednesday, York Regional Police announced they had laid a charge of first-degree murder on a 15-year-old from York Region.

"The accused male, the driver of the vehicle involved in the incident, was charged last night in hospital, where he remains with serious injuries," York Regional Police said in a statement.

The boy's name will not be released under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

He is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Newmarket on July 7.

Officers continued on Wednesday to canvass drivers who might have been on Highway 48, between Davis Drive and Mount Albert Road at the time of the incident.

The stretch of highway where Styles was dragged 300 metres and killed has been opened for the first time since the young constable's death.

Tom Stamatakis, president of the Canadian Police Association, said he and other police officers across the country want someone held accountable for Styles' death.

"The last thing on my mind right now, to be honest, is forgiveness," he told CTV's Canada AM in an interview from Vancouver.

"There has to be real consequences, in the short term at least, to deter this activity."

With an eye to the future, Stamatakis also recommended an inquiry into the reasons why some Canadian youth participate in high-risk activities.

Styles was alone on patrol when he stopped the 2005 Dodge Caravan packed with four teenagers for a traffic check. CTV Toronto has learned that the van had been taken from one of the youths' family home without permission.

Styles was leaning into the cab of the van to turn off the ignition when when the vehicle accelerated and dragged him into a field before flipping over.

While pinned beneath the van, Styles managed to contact police dispatch over his radio and direct emergency crews to his location.

"I've got a van on my waist," Styles can be heard saying in a recording of the call. "It hurts. And, uh, I've got these people inside the van. I don't know how they are doing."

Styles, who would have turned 33 on Sunday, was transported to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries at 6:10 a.m.

He is survived by his wife, Melissa, a civilian employee of the York Regional Police Service, and two small children, a two-year-old girl and nine-week-old boy.

The three minivan passengers, also from York region, are reportedly co-operating with police.

Styles is the 10th York region police officer to die on the job.

Police have also set up a book of condolences for Styles, which will be available for signing until his funeral when the book will be given to constable Styles' family.

The book was made available for signing on Wednesday morning in the lobby of the central police station at 155 King William Street in Hamilton.

There's been an outpouring of support for Styles from politicians and other community members. Premier Dalton McGuinty and Former OPP commissioner Julian Fantino are among many mourners offering condolences to the young officer's family.

Anyone who'd also like to leave their condolences can do so online at a CTVToronto.ca page set up for Const. Styles.

As a young offender, what is the worst he can get? It sure won't = the life he took!

Does anyone know if there is a trust fund being set up to help Const. Styles family? If there is please post it, I would like to do something more than just offer my prayers.

I read the transcript of his conversations with the dispatcher, this man is in my books a hero in the truest sense of the word. Gravely injured, with a van crushing him, he was still worried about the kids in the van. That takes a very special kind of person!

Does anyone know if there is a trust fund being set up to help Const. Styles family? If there is please post it, I would like to do something more than just offer my prayers.

I'd also be interested.

I read the transcript of his conversations with the dispatcher, this man is in my books a hero in the truest sense of the word. Gravely injured, with a van crushing him, he was still worried about the kids in the van. That takes a very special kind of person!

I heard it on the news last night, truly a "Hero." I'm still too verklempt to offer much of an opinion on the driver.... wallbash.gif

great to hear the kid has been charged. sad to say it's means nothing to the kid and his friends at this moment. I hope the other kids get the book thrown at them for being involved. I'm sure someone in the car/van said something like let's get the hell out of here and as a scared kid he tried to.

too bad an eye for an eye doesn't work out cause then others are at a rather large loss too.