go -to muskie lure

peter23

I don't muskie fish any more (no muskies where I live now) but when I did fish them my go to lure was always a spinner bait. I have caught most of my muskies on them including my PB 53 1/2" fish. I have caught tons on bass sized blue/yellow skirted 1/2 ounce baits and also on larger 1, 2 and 3 ounce baits. My PB came on a 3 ounce black with orange blade musky spinner bait.

Not to be bias but I would bring one of my Handlebarz double 10's as the double 10's have been rocking the fish on all bodies of water for the last bunch of years. It only makes sense to carry a versatile bait that can be cast burning it in, slow rolled deeeper, bulging the water like a top water, or trolled. Blade baits have been a go to bait long before I was born and I would think no matter the size they will be here long after I am gone.

Mike had a good idea as its hard for just 1

If I had a top 5 it would be:

Double 10

6 1/4" Woodie black perch

Sledge Black perch or pike

10" Jake Black perch or perch

Top Raider

I noticed a pattern in your color choices... BLACK PERCH!!!

I have a handful of baits this color and never hit a hit on them...

Is there a situation you fish that color specifically that produces... Or do you pretty much trust that color no matter what?

Most Muskie guys have way too many lures...Me included. Its tough to pick one, but a black(skirt) and orange(blade) inline spinner(bucktail) especially a Double 10 bladed one would be a good choice. An appropriate sized Spinnerbait would probably be the most versatile though...

Here's my top 5 as per Mike's post...

Black/Orange Handlebarz Double 10

Lac Seul Turbo (similar to a Topraider but better, colour unimportant on surface lure IMO)

Hellhound (custom colours by Bare Bones Baits are so much nicer than factory)

Orange Tiger 10" Jake

4 oz Beaver Lures Tri-spin Spinnerbait (black and gold)

hard to beat a bucktail or large spinnerbait up here in the kawarthas. I really liked the super stalkers as well, especially the ones with the plastic tails. When i was a younger guy, I remember "wiley lures" being a big deal I havent got any of em, anymore. Ps Can you still get the superstalkers with the plastic tail? or is that what makes them super. or was it the size?

WOW, really suprised Suick hasn't been names yet. Here are my favorite baits for the style of bait.

10" Weighted Suick - Perch Red hot thriller (Glider of choice)

>>>I lost what would have smashed my PB muskie by a mile on this bait last year.

Bionic Gold bladed spinner (Spinner of choice) <<<Gold blades are killer on Kawartha lakes. Hair colour is not as big of a deal.

>>> I like Bionic spinner bait (it's a little smaller profile than I like, so I mod every one I get)>>> My largest; 53.5" Muskie in Late October 07.

Mepps Muskie killer (In-line spinner of choice)

>>>4 of 5 largest Muskies I have caught have all come on the original Mepps Muskie Killer (one with the 2 trebles). 52", (2)51", (2) 50.5".... has been my highest numbers lure. Great choice as a high speed troll bait... But I hate trolling. You can get a good 6mph or so without bulging. At least 100 fish on it in the last 12 years I have fished muskie.

Hellhounds (Jerk bait of Choice)

Weagle (Topwater of choice)

10" Jakes/ Grandma (Fall) (Crank bait or choice)

Edited by F_ast

My #1 go-to bait is a 9" Grim Reaper that I start EVERY day with. Absolutely the best casting bait I've ever come across in close to 40 years of musky fishing. The fish never get bored with it and it boats me alot of fish every year.

2nd is the 9" weighted strawberry Sledge

3rd is an 8" Double "D" that I painted myself

For trolling, my 2 best are the 10" black/yellow Believer and a 10" Jake in a sunfish pattern.

I've got other baits that I use for deeper water but these are the 5 I normally start with.

I've probably got at least 100 baits but these 5 see more water than all the others combined.

I prefer to remove the rattles from some of my Believers for trolling clear water on bright days.

Cnv1127.jpg

Edited by lew

Hey guys,

Lots of great baits in everybody's top 5. It's interesting to see how some lures seem to turn up in top 5 lists more than others, for no apparent reason I'm sure...lol.

Here's mine.

Double 10 inline

Jake (10" for twitchin, and 14" for trolling)

Sledge

Dunwright Dancer

Jimmy

I usually go obnoxious on my spinners and twitch baits, and natural on jerks (all things considered).

Lew -- where on the believer do you drill to remove the rattles?

Dead center on top of the bait about 1 1/2" back from the large hook eye. Turn the bait over and point the nose down a bit and the rattles will roll right out. Then cover the hole with a bit of 5 minute epoxy, a dab of paint and your good to go.

Dirty water, low light or when I'm trolling deep I like the rattles but clear water & bright days or trolling shallow I'll usually go with no rattles.

Course the fish don't always follow the same strategy as me though :lol: