New to Canada

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined this forum site and must say the initial impression is very good, lots of people willing to help other fellow fishermen on venues, topics and tactics.

I'm new to Canada, living in the Vaughan area of Woodbridge, I've fished mainly in Europe in the large English, French and Spanish rivers and lakes with captures including Catfish to 136 lbs and Carp to 52 lbs, although I get just as much fun getting my string pulled by Pike, Walleye, Bass and anything else that swims by.

To me fishing is a great pleasure just by being by the water and catching something is a bonus. I don't mind travelling long distances to fish, but to start with any information on waters close to home that might put a bend in my rod would be much appreciated.

Likewise I'm more than willing to pass on any information or tips on tackle and methods to anyone intending to fish over in Europe.

Tight lines to you all and hope to speak again soon.

Colin.

Welcome to the board Colin. I am sure you will get lots of coaching for places to start fishing real soon. I would give you some advice but you see I am a little South of you.

Art

welcome - I think anyone who can catch fish that size probably has some very transferable skills, and will meet with success here. So, just how long does it take to land a 136 lb catfish I wonder?

Hey Colin!

Welcome to OFC and to Canada as well!

You are within a very short drive to some great areas for fishing. Lake Simcoe is virtually an inland great lake and has all kinds of opportunities. This amazing body of water is just up the 400 Highway from you. As mentioned already, if it is Carp you are interested in, the experts will be along shortly to give you specific info.

There are lots of good rivers and streams as well.

Enjoy your time on the board!

welcome dude, would love to see some pics of your catches if available. It's funny how carp and cats are the primary target over there while pike, walleye and bass are secondary. Quite the opposite here. You should have no problem finding good carp fishing or fishing in general in your area. Best of luck

Hi Catfish:

Welcome to the site.

You will find that you have moved into fishing paradise. We are surrounded by amazing fisheries and there are hundreds of lakes all within a 2 hour drive of you. To the north of you is Lake Simcoe which is a big waterbody that holds some great fish. East will land you in the Kawartha's with numerous productive lakes.

Try Rice Lake for great numbers of multiple species, including non-stop carp action if your interested. Pigeon, Chemong, Scugog, Balsam, etc. We tend to get spoiled living here and forget all the great fishing we have right at our doorstep. If you want to try for some trout and salmon, the numerous creeks and rivers that enter Lake Ontario are nearby and easy to fish.

Niagra Falls isn't just for looking at it offers dynamite fishing in the area.

If you like big rivers, check out the St. Lawerence east of Kingston, lots of action and area to fish.

Have fun but keep us posted around here because most of us like hearing about and sharing good fishing. :thumbsup_anim:

Welcome aboard Colin as others have said welcome to Canada also. You have alot of great fishing in your backyard and as others have said the locals will get you out for sure.

If your ever heading down to the Chatham (between London and Windsor) area please drop me a line we might be able to get out for some fishing on Lake St.Clair.

Cheers

Catfish 136.....

Don't trust these Canadians......I'm warning you....before you know it they will lure you in and you will be drinking their COLD Canadian Beer in no time....then they will have you arguing about hockey.....and finally you will be looking like this... :canadian: and ending every sentence with...eh... :thumbsup_anim:

Welcome,

A Canadian Redneck Cousin,

Bob

If you get the opportunity, take a little drive up to North Bay. Lake Nipissing has some excellent fishing for almost anything that swims(except trout). It's only a 3.5 hour drive from you and there are numerous places to stay. Most of the lodges and cottages up here include a boat rental but you will need to get a pleasure craft operators card. There are several OFC members up this way so i doubt you'd have a problem finding a fishing buddy :D