FAVORITE FISH FRY BATTER RECIPES

Everyone has there favorite batter recipe they whip up before a shore lunch.

I would love to hear them and try them out

I recently came across a new tartar sauce recipe that i saw in an fishing mag.

1c mayonnaise

2tbsp sweet pickles chopped

1 tbsp capers chopped

1 tbsp of dijon mustard

1tbsp parsley chopped

1 tbsp fresh tarragon chopped

1 tbsp lemon juice

and salt and black pepper ( or cayenne pepper) to taste

Enjoy

We have a recipe section. http://www.ontariofishing.net/fish-recipes/

Every so often people want a recipe section but the contributing doesn't last all that long. :)

Never know, til we try me brudder. I do believe many said they would like to see an all round, recipe section,not just fish. I,ll bet you a case of yer fav brown water, it would take. :whistling:

What can it hurt. :worthy:

Like Roy said, we DO have one! it just doesn't get used all that often which is a shame. There are so many good ones to share.

Yes Cliff ,there is one for FISH,but Im talking about other then FISH. Did you not get a nice newfie feed from my post? :thumbsup_anim: Theres also ways to cook wild game and so much more. Just saying.

When I was growing up in Brantford we had a fish and chip store just up the street on Erie Ave and they made the best fish & chips, wrapped in newspaper, like all good and true fish & chips should be.

After several years of trying every batter recipie I found this one to be the closest to the one I remember from my youth.

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

lemon pepper to taste

4 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup water (may need to add more to get consistency desired)

1 teaspoon baking powder

dip fish in flour to coat then into the batter then into the hot oil

When I was growing up in Brantford we had a fish and chip store just up the street on Erie Ave and they made the best fish & chips, wrapped in newspaper, like all good and true fish & chips should be.

After several years of trying every batter recipie I found this one to be the closest to the one I remember from my youth.

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

lemon pepper to taste

4 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

Man that sounds good! next time try instant mashed potato instead of the flour!

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

lemon pepper to taste

4 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

That sounds perfect...thanks....i'll give it a try.

Every so often people want a recipe section but the contributing doesn't last all that long. :)

Didn't even know that this link existed :w00t: Wow a first for me :w00t:

CanadianShark: That recipe sounds real good but I prefer to pan fry the fish in butter only.... I add salt and pepper when it's removed from the pan :)

Here is a favorite of mine, a buddy of mine who is a chef gave me this one. He told me the trick is to make sure you use really cold water, the colder the better. It works great for fish, onion rings and mushroom caps. It gives you that real English bater consistency.'

Nigel’s English Style Fish Batter

Yield: Enough for 4lbs of fish

In medium size bowl, mix the following ingredients:

1 cup of all purpose flour

½ tsp of salt

1 tbs of vinegar

2 tsp of baking powder

Enough cold water to make the batter to a slurry consistency.

Dip fish fillets into batter and lay flat into hot canola oil at a temperature of 350F

Cook until golden crisp colour on both sides, remove and wrap in newspaper to give it the true English flavor!

Enjoy!

I second that idea

il 3rd that.

i would like to see it include game as well.?

it would also be nice if ofnrs could post their results in a constructive way seeing as we all have different tastes.

personaly i have had enough of the standard batters and baking fish.

I only batter my perch and it's not so much of a batter it's just flour then egg wash with a bit of milk then fine bread crumbs mixed with salt and pepper and a good amount of pepper I use just for some flavour I pan sear my walleye and when I do eat smallies I put butter onions garlic and salt and pepper and on the fire she goes.

i also didnt know that link existed.

Cant we have those recipes on this site? it would be way easier for everyone to find and contribute to.

I also 2nd the idea of including other game recipes. Lets make it happen guys

My favorite is made with Brodie XXX Self-Raising Pastry Flour. It has all the ingredients in it, so you just add the amount of water needed to make the batter just stick to the fish. The thinner the better. It's the closest to the local fish and chip store that I have found.

I think I have an idea for this.

First off, those that want to share, write it up like a real recipe, and then whether it's going to be like the forum where people just add the recipes themselves or sends it into the admin.

Once that is done, have a Latest Recipes section like the "What's on your mind?" on the main page.

I know there's never such thing as too many recipes! :)

Edited by EC1

Yield: Enough for 4lbs of fish

When did you ever catch that amount? Maybe some guy left it on yer lawn. :sarcasm::rofl2:

Well, it seems Im not the only one here OFC mods. What can adding one section hurt? Cooking your fav fish,chicken,venison,moose,rabbit,pork,beef,froglegs ,hell even our southernerns have a recipe for Armadillo and crawdads. Come on,give it ago. Give it 3 months :worthy: .If it dosent "PAN" out,scrap it. :oops: