Some peoples kids

Big Cliff

Just went out to clear the snow and I noticed the mail box looked strange, walked over to it and someone had taken something to the top of it and did a good job of caving it in. My wife hand painted that mail box, it was in need of some touch up but she was going to do that this spring.

Then I went into my garage and noticed that one of my gas cans was gone. In the ten years we've lived here i've never had to lock my garage before, friends and neighbours always knew that if they needed anything and I had it, they were welcome to borrow it, the only rule was leave a note and put it back when you are done with it, the garage is locked now as are our cars!

This can only be kids out for a joy ride, there were lots of things in the garage worth a lot more than a can of gas. As far as I can tell nothing else was taken.

If I ever catch whoever did this they'll look like my mail box when I'm done with them. :angry:

not sure wha happened to the top of the mailbox..... but maybe one of your neighbors borrowed the gas can and didn't have any paper for a note :dunno:

No, there is always a note pad and pencil right there but I did find out who took the gas and it wasn't a neighbour. I have since had a talk with the young fellow and explained that if the can and gas aren't returned promptly I will report it to the police. Turned out one of his friends has a little better grasp on what is right and wrong than he does and felt guilty. Didn't admit to the mail box though.

Ah yes,they can be very clever but this could be to there disadvantage...Time to leave out a special can of gas for them to use up next time :D

Unfortunatly that would be the one that one of my friends probably picked up LOL. Worst part of this is that if the kid had come to me and asked for some gas I'd have gladly given it to him. Apparently he thought it was a big joke to steal it and the can; well, at least until he got caught. I know his dad and he and I will be having a little talk about it this week. I have a feeling that the young lad will be getting a little more than a slap on the wrist since daddy owns the truck he is driving :whistling:

Not a good thing when kids are out doing things like this, If not stopped it leads to more serious things.

Hope they learn their lesson, one bad misjudgment could affect the rest of their lives; for what $50 or so. The money is nothing but getting caught and having a confrontation and possibly causing and injury to some on , puts them on a different playing field.

If it' s not yours, leave it alone.

Cliff, when you confront his father make sure you do it when the kid is right there.

when you mention the mail box and he denies it, pull a VHS tape out of your pocket and ask him if he would like to watch the video tape.

The expression on his face might answer your question.

Unfortunatly that would be the one that one of my friends probably picked up LOL. Worst part of this is that if the kid had come to me and asked for some gas I'd have gladly given it to him. Apparently he thought it was a big joke to steal it and the can; well, at least until he got caught. I know his dad and he and I will be having a little talk about it this week. I have a feeling that the young lad will be getting a little more than a slap on the wrist since daddy owns the truck he is driving :whistling:

Well thats a little different than strangers coming by to damage and steal your property. I'm sure the kid was just being absent minded when he "forgot" to inform you the next day that he had taken your gas can or at least thats what he'll tell ya in front of his dad...Any case lesson learned !!

Frustrating as it is Cliff, its also sad. Kids today seem to get bored so easily. With single parent famillies or both parents working to support them, they are left to themselves, or their peers, to raise themselves.

When i was young, familly was the most important thing in our lives. We always ate meals together, and went on outings and vacations together.Every sunday would be familly day. Grand parents aunts and uncles and cousins, all under one roof for a day of visit and dining.

They probably had no idea that their actions would affect you at all.No idea of the consequences of their actions either.dunno.gif

Paul

After having his mail box crunched a few times my uncle welded up a mailbox with angle iron and 1/2 inch plate. Put the mail box shell over it. It was nicked a few times after that. The baseball bat must have been going at quite a clip to put a big nick in the angle iron. The kids arms are probably still shaking.

After having his mail box crunched a few times my uncle welded up a mailbox with angle iron and 1/2 inch plate. Put the mail box shell over it. It was nicked a few times after that. The baseball bat must have been going at quite a clip to put a big nick in the angle iron. The kids arms are probably still shaking.

LOL, the thought did cross my mind. The little punk that hit mine had to have been on foot, he hit it straight down and from the side. I suspect it was someone younger and I think I know who but I'll sort that out.

The one that took the gas has since shown up (with his father) returned the gas can full, apologized right in front of his father and promissed it would never happen again. Kid didn't even try to make excuses, said he and his friends were just out having fun figured they could get some free gas and no one would be hurt.

Then his father handed me the keys to the kids's truck and told the kid he could have the keys back when I said he could but that until then the truck would stay parked; that if he ever stole anything again he'd never see the truck again!

They then both got in dad's truck and I stopped them. Told the kid that if he wanted to finish shoveling off the decks (both of them), clear the paths and finish the driveway, he could have his keys back. (I did some stupid things when I was a kid too)

He did promise that it wasn't he or one of his buddies that smashed the mail box but offered to try and straighten it as best he could.

The decks are cleared off, the paths and drive way finished, the young fellow after apologizing once more is now on his way home.

Just got a whole lot of respect for both he and his father and I doubt he will ever pull anything like that around here again.

The mail box, well I guess it's time we got a new one anyway LOL

Told the kid that if he wanted to finish shoveling off the decks (both of them), clear the paths and finish the driveway, he could have his keys back.

:thumbsup_anim:

Like that reasoning Cliff, however you are a softee, should have waited until the end of March and got him to shovel after every snowfall. :w00t::D

LOL, the thought did cross my mind. The little punk that hit mine had to have been on foot, he hit it straight down and from the side. I suspect it was someone younger and I think I know who but I'll sort that out.

The one that took the gas has since shown up (with his father) returned the gas can full, apologized right in front of his father and promissed it would never happen again. Kid didn't even try to make excuses, said he and his friends were just out having fun figured they could get some free gas and no one would be hurt.

Then his father handed me the keys to the kids's truck and told the kid he could have the keys back when I said he could but that until then the truck would stay parked; that if he ever stole anything again he'd never see the truck again!

They then both got in dad's truck and I stopped them. Told the kid that if he wanted to finish shoveling off the decks (both of them), clear the paths and finish the driveway, he could have his keys back. (I did some stupid things when I was a kid too)

He did promise that it wasn't he or one of his buddies that smashed the mail box but offered to try and straighten it as best he could.

The decks are cleared off, the paths and drive way finished, the young fellow after apologizing once more is now on his way home.

Just got a whole lot of respect for both he and his father and I doubt he will ever pull anything like that around here again.

The mail box, well I guess it's time we got a new one anyway LOL

That there is the way any/every parent should deal with an errant child.

That story will keep me smiling all day Cliff. thumbsup_anim.gif

I was going to suggest the lad cut grass on your property until he used up all the gas said gas can could hold.....but you got him to learn the lesson he needed....as said, we all have done dumb things as boys.....

You gotta go with the flow of the season...grass won't need cutting for months.

Well done, Cliff.

as said, we all have done dumb things as boys.....

A truer statement was never spoke.

I'd say you handled the situation perfectly Cliff and probably taught that boy and excellent lesson in life :thumbsup_anim:

Good point. I will not make excuses for my son and hopefully in turn he will not make excuses for himself. It sounds like Cliff ran into a good father here and his son will be a chip off the old block when his youthful badass days are behind him.