Hahahaha.....

TJQ

Oh man that must have sucked...You know I love that guys newspaper. you thnk I can subscribe to it, no? I have to go get it free at the tourisum centre,in Campbellford.

You certainly can subscribe to it. Grab an issue there should be an ad in with instructions on how to go about it!

RJ

that's what surprised me about that episode..... I would've thought they'd have tried that for sure (snagging the rod that just went over). Perhaps they did off camera and weren't successful ?

A big ass Daredevil and a couple of casts and you get both the rod and the fish back!

HH

Funny you say that Joe....

I was daydreaming one day and dropped an expensive combo in 20' of water, so I clipped a Daredevil on another rod and started dragging it thru the weeds.

Felt some weight and figured I'd got my gear back but when I reeled it in I'd caught a 5 pound pickeral.

Probably the only pickeral ever caught on bottom with a big azz Daredevil :lol:

Funny you say that Joe....

I was daydreaming one day and dropped an expensive combo in 20' of water, so I clipped a Daredevil on another rod and started dragging it thru the weeds.

Felt some weight and figured I'd got my gear back but when I reeled it in I'd caught a 5 pound pickeral.

Probably the only pickeral ever caught on bottom with a big azz Daredevil :lol:

Good story Lew, but did you get the rod and reel back?

You just don't see folks pulling Daredevils that much anymore... but boy do they cover water, cast a mile and I've found them to be multi-species as well...

Heck, maybe I'll start a thread about them, so as to not highjack this thread anymore than I have.LOL :whistling:

HH

this winter I almost lost my 1000 buck reel down a hole..got my hand wet but I didn't let it get away

however the fish got away...got me thinking if I should really use the Calais TE DC on the ice

but why buy them if you ain't gonna use them

Jump in after it? I wouldn't recommend it even for Michael Phelps, who knows how cold that water is and I don't care how well you can swim - can you outswim a fish!

As far as casting out and trying to get it - I'm sure they did. It's not that easy. You can ask Mark Kulik, we were out on Erie this past spring and sure enough - an unattended rod took an unintended swim with a fish attached to it. His favourite drop shotter. It wasn't windy and I dropped a Waypoint immediately. I cast a rattle trap type bait dredging the bottom for a solid 20 minutes in the area until by complete fluke I hooked the line. Unfortunately as he was hand bombing the rod and reel back in it got stuck on bottom and broke the line. The fish was gone. But on a fairly windless day knowing pretty darn well where the rod went in - we spent 20 minutes dissecting the area in an expanding spiral until we snagged it. And it was WAY off the original waypoint. The only rod and reel I've ever kicked over board I was able to get because we could clearly see it on the bottom and it wasn't moving in current and/or attached to a fish. Even so, it took several attempts to snag it.

It's just a part of fishing - sometimes you need to make that sacrifice to the fishing gods to get them to bite better. It worked for Mark and I. I think the sacrifice hurt less for me than for him though. lol

Jump in after it? I wouldn't recommend it even for Michael Phelps, who knows how cold that water is and I don't care how well you can swim - can you outswim a fish!

As far as casting out and trying to get it - I'm sure they did. It's not that easy. You can ask Mark Kulik, we were out on Erie this past spring and sure enough - an unattended rod took an unintended swim with a fish attached to it. His favourite drop shotter. It wasn't windy and I dropped a Waypoint immediately. I cast a rattle trap type bait dredging the bottom for a solid 20 minutes in the area until by complete fluke I hooked the line. Unfortunately as he was hand bombing the rod and reel back in it got stuck on bottom and broke the line. The fish was gone. But on a fairly windless day knowing pretty darn well where the rod went in - we spent 20 minutes dissecting the area in an expanding spiral until we snagged it. And it was WAY off the original waypoint. The only rod and reel I've ever kicked over board I was able to get because we could clearly see it on the bottom and it wasn't moving in current and/or attached to a fish. Even so, it took several attempts to snag it.

It's just a part of fishing - sometimes you need to make that sacrifice to the fishing gods to get them to bite better. It worked for Mark and I. I think the sacrifice hurt less for me than for him though. lol

Yep had one slide off the back of David Chongs boat when we fished Erie in 6 fters.Thought about it,then said nadda going to jump in. I just cried abit and kept fishing.LOL :wallbash:

Guest gbfisher

I was makin fun of them and the fact they lost it. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.. :worthy: .lol

I'm also pretty sure the guys in that boat could afford to lose a few rods and have them replaced by sponsors for just mentioning it. :clapping:

Stuff like that happens all the time. Big Jim looked pissed though. :D

Two summers ago I was on a back lake with my then 5 year old daughter.

She caught a nice pike and I laid my rod down to deal with it.

Of course a 3lb smallie grabbed my jig and dragged my $400 rod/reel overboard.

It sank straight down to a shelf about 15' below me. Then started being dragged by the bass into this huge 35' hole.

I threw my daughters pike away and without thinking--just reacting, dove overboard to catch my rod before it was pulled into the abyss.

I just grabbed it in time. When I did the bass went airborne and I was actually fighting it underwater. :D

Lipped it beside the boat with one arm around the gunnel.

Definitely a memorable fish.

My little girl tells everyone "Daddy dives in after the fish!!!" :lol:

Edited by solopaddler

Had one pulled off the dock by a bass. Lost my fave mitchell reel. A friend of mine found it diving 2 months later, 80' from the dock.

I've lost rods over the side and almost always managed to retrieve them. I have also hooked up and retrieved lost rods while drifting for walter. In good shape too.