Porcupine problem (nf)

krawler

We have a porcupine living on our property, its eating all the bark on our pine and spruce trees, these trees will die in the spring. we planted them 20+ years ago, sad to see them go. I know where he lives, huge pile of rocks that has too many ways of getting in and out. he only comes out at night but have not seen him yet. i have a Have-a-Heart trap and ive tried every type of fruit to entice him in but no luck. each week i go up more trees are damagaed. Any suggestions to get rid of him or deter him from climbing/eating the bark. we have over 500 trees, cant put up barriers on each tree. we cant plug the holes in the rocks. Anyone have a solution??

I posted a message about beavers last year, best solution was to scare the crap out of it, and spray obnoxious odours everywhere.

thanks

Just look him in those pretty little monkey like eyes.. and pop him in the head with Lead!

The trees won't die.. they'll rebark and come back. I've been dealing with these tree eating buggers for two decades.

Edited by irishfield

Save the quills if you get him. They're becoming a fashion statement as a hair pin thingy for women :P Just make sure you trade em because selling parts of wildlife is illegal :whistling:

3 things most wildlife crave because it is not readily available in nature. Sweet, fat and salt. I heard the porkies are good eating. Any truth to that?

Funny thing I was thinking about this post today while hanging duck boxes in a Carolinian forest and I spotted some trees that something was eating the bark off of. Then I spotted on tree that had been chewed right to the tips of the branches. There's no way this was a porcupine but there was so much damage what could it be? :dunno:

That's when I found these guys sleeping nearby

167789_178615675511570_178331678873303_413298_7889712_n.jpg

Seems it would have to be pretty dam small to reach the tips of the branches yet a few whole trees had been stripped also.