Porcupine problem (nf)

krawler

I'd say trap him or scare him out of the area. I'm sure a few brush fires (controlled fire) near his den would send him on his way.

..or odors, or noises.

Try a battery powered radio set on the CBC....worked for raccoons at my old work.

When they walk, you can really tell they are part of the bear family..neat little animals, but a nuissance sometimes.

I'd say trap him or scare him out of the area. I'm sure a few brush fires (controlled fire) near his den would send him on his way.

..or odors, or noises.

Try a battery powered radio set on the CBC....worked for raccoons at my old work.

When they walk, you can really tell they are part of the bear family..neat little animals, but a nuissance sometimes.

Bear family? please tell me you are joking? Porcupines are rodents.

G

I see them all the time in the day, during the winter. I think they get up in the trees around 11am, and hang out until around 3pm, when the sun is at its highest. Once it starts getting cooler, they get down. Keep the .22 loaded and ready, you never know when he'll poke his head out!

S.

I have a few old orange flares i plan to stick in the rock holes, hopefully he comes out. other than that im buying a lot of salt and plan on randomly walking through the brush at night hoping to spot him. A friend has a crossbow, that should do it!

Be carefull wondering through the bush with loaded crossbow or gun at night, thats illegal. You can hunt Porcupines but it must be done during lawfull hours, they are for the most part nocturnal but do venture high up in trees to spend the day. There most active at night and usually den up during the day, trapping the critter would probably be your best bet to get rid of it.

Edited by canadadude

got a paintball gun? a few shots to the backside would make it think twice to coming back to the area. I chased away a racoon or 4 that way then switched to the fly-bait trick.

i doubt that would work GBW...they are very Hardy and durable animals...if you dont hit then in the head with a .22 they still walk away ...might want to look into see if there is a bounty on the snout...ive seen them fall 40 feet from a tree hitting branches all the way down and still walk away...

i doubt that would work GBW...they are very Hardy and durable animals...if you dont hit then in the head with a .22 they still walk away ...might want to look into see if there is a bounty on the snout...ive seen them fall 40 feet from a tree hitting branches all the way down and still walk away...

it worked on the racoons to make them run away. the paintball gun can't kill them but the sting makes them think what the hell is hitting me.

You could try making up a smudge pot and smoke him out of the den. Worked on the skunks I had living under my front cement stoop.

Get a small steel pail, cut up a sponge into small chunks and put into the pail; then soak the sponge in motor oil and set a match to it. It’ll barely flame but it’ll smolder for hours; putting out some eye stinging smoke.

If by chance you do live trap this guy and plan on relocating it; be careful where. Legally you’re not supposed to relocate a trapped animal any farther then one kilometer from where it was captured. Don’t know what the fine is; but only moving him 1klm away and it won’t be long before he’s back. I know what I would likely do with it; but even a shallow grave would be hard to dig this time of year.

You could call a licensed trapper to deal with the animal after you’ve trapped it $$. They have the legal right to euthanize it, if they feel that relocating it would cause harm to the animal.

That’s what I did, one other time with a ground hog I trapped for my neighbor here in town. It was either that or measure out 1klm; knock on that person’s door and ask if they wanted it released in their front or back yard. LOL

Dan.

Edited by DanD