Whos dog can swim?

Jen

I personally enjoyed the post and i am a big animal lover to....go figure. Thanks Jen.

And you wounder why people stop posting on Fishing Sites ...i was tought to swim by being chucked outa the boat ..lol

they haven't stopped posting on fishing sites, just stopped posting fishing reports on family/community sites.

I'm personally upset at the blatent disregard for the safety and well being of that drink.

lol @ puckhead! :thumbsup_anim:

My mom has an English Bulldog and they sink like stones. Funny thing is, she LOVES the water so we've got to be careful. They are also notorious for overheating so in the summer she has a kiddy pool and loves nothing more then to wallow in it like a hairy Hippopotomous! She even sticks her head underwater to drink from the hose on the bottom. Quite the unit she is... and her partner in crime is a weinerdog who swims like a fish. Go figure.

dsc0772se3.jpg

Edited by trapshooter

my jack russell can/has swam for hours on end without taking a break, scary actually, i have to pull her out and tie her up to give her a break, only time she'll come out voluntarilly is to pee, she also dive's off docks like u see on TV, but being a small dog she doesn't have much distance

my first dog was a cocker spaniel, born in december got him in march, brought him the long weekend of may, he had never seen water before, he jump in the front end of the boat and walked out the back (thinking it was solid i guess ) and just sank. thankfully there was only about 2.5 fow and i could reach him with my arm, he was just standing on bottom, thought he'd be "scared for life" but he also grew to love the water

Edited by walleyejigger

I could hear odd noises all morning as I worked on a house in FT. Mcmurry and thought it was a raven because they make all kinds of sounds. When I got to the back corner of the house I could look over the fence and see a dog drowning in the pool. It had been in there all morning and was going down when I pulled it out, but the look it gave me was a priceless if dogs could talk moment as it was a neighbors dog and wasn't supposed to be there and he knew it..

For those who fish with me know that my dog is my best fishing partner, yeap she is a water Rat just loves the water and when its slow I toss her gently :) over the side and she swim's until she is tired then comes back to the side for a pickup.. She will then stand at the side waiting to go again..

These are the pics from last year out on the Bog with Muskie Bill and John.

We were fishing a weed bed when my dog figured land.. over she went.. yes she need saving.

Once back on board she looked over the side and jumped again.. this time she stayed put when I could just pick her up.

gallery_106_92_34871.jpg

gallery_106_92_12598.jpg

gallery_106_92_12020.jpg

Almost all dogs can swim, its like human's panic kills.

Lex, I remember this post from the summer. You are so lucky your dog didn't become musky bait. What the heck would you have done then? Saved the dog or the musky :lol:

I also have a dog that is a member of the sink like a rock club.He has some boxer in him and has prolly zero body fat with very short hair.He walked into the water and just sank.My other dog in my avatar is a lab standard poodle cross and she swims like a fish.I have a doggie life jacket and it really makes it easy to lift the dog back in the boat cause it ha a handle on the back.I also had a bulldog cross that could not swim.

Joe

Lex, I remember this post from the summer. You are so lucky your dog didn't become musky bait. What the heck would you have done then? Saved the dog or the musky :lol:

Its one thing to come home skunked its another thing to come home without the dog, Bill asked me the same question.. what would I do .. I said I was going in after the dog beacue If I came home with a trophy Muskie, I can just hear the wife..

Great a large fish with big teeth your not going to hang that in my house... wait a minute.. Hey where's the dog.. Well dear it goes like this, here I was fishing and.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto Star top article... Mississauga Man in hospital to have womans boot, and frying pan removed

My dog Rocky loves the water....

This picture was taken after a gruelling 3 mile hike.... He wouldn`t get out of the water until he was good and ready...

gallery_80_27_33296.jpg

Sadly I`m not to optimistic about him making through the spring :( but like I tell the kids, he has given us 12 years of love and devotion

Doug

I dont think I can expand on what has already been posted here, calling other members irresponsible or idiots is way out of line in this case. I personally found the post humourous and I am sure Jen will take proper precautions should the dog happen to be on a boat again. I say we view this post for the intent in which it was posted. I am sure everyone here has had a mishap on the water that "could" have led to injury to yourselves or others, Carp happens you learn and move on.

EOR.

Gerritt.

And you wounder why people stop posting on Fishing Sites ...i was tought to swim by being chucked outa the boat ..lol

Ummmm.................................................are you absolutely sure you were being taught "to swim" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but I don't think my comments were out of line. Having a pet is like parenting in a sense and everyone has different approaches, therefore I believe I am entitled to my opinion. The original comments that were posted along with the pictures were removed so that had a lot of bearing on my post.

Having a pet is like parenting

Until you have kids that is and learn the difference. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs more than people and spent over a year training my border collie. During the same year I launched him off the dock in about 4 feet of water to see if he could swim. He can as it turns out but really doesn't like to.

All dogs and cats are great, wish people had the respect for them that I do; however, they are pets. We will make mistakes when raising them. I have another dog now as well which is a border collie/bermese mix. He will be going off the dock in the summer. Sink or swim? I guess I will find out in a few months.

For the record...Cooper sinks. It was kindly mentioned to me that a two year old should have had his life jacket on before tossing him off the dock. :rolleyes: I jest. He has to wear his coat within 20' of the water, I guess I am overprotective as a dad in that sense.

For the record...Cooper sinks. It was kindly mentioned to me that a two year old should have had his life jacket on before tossing him off the dock. I jest. He has to wear his coat within 20' of the water, I guess I am overprotective as a dad in that sense.

Yer killin me bud..

Joe

Quote by Graftongal

Member No.: 52

Sorry, but I don't think my comments were out of line. Having a pet is like parenting in a sense and everyone has different approaches, therefore I believe I am entitled to my opinion. The original comments that were posted along with the pictures were removed so that had a lot of bearing on my post.

Graftongal,

No worries, everyone is entitled to their opinion... and yours counts!

You just viewed it differently than it was intended.

Please be assured that at no time was Tucker (thats my dogs name) ever in any danger of being hurt, nor did I mean to imply that. The post was out of interest to see who has dogs that swim and who has dogs that don't. I was shocked when he stepped out of the paddle boat, as he had played on shore in the water all week. I am the parent of three children, as well as have had many pets who are members of my family. I love them very much and would never let anything happen to them I assure you. It is hard to know someone through posts... however I understand your thoughts and words in regards to animals, they were out of concern and caring. Which is why I took the humourous wording out of my post.

Cheers,

Jen

Edited by Jen

When we got our dog the breeder told us that the best way to teach a dog to swim is to take it to a beach with a gradual slope and let the dog walk out on its own until it can't touch bottom. Most dogs will naturally start to swim and some won't. You have to work if from there. She told me that under no circumstances should you ever toss a dog off of a dock and let it learn the hard way. She said that she's seen more dogs that are scared of the water because of this method.