Whos dog can swim?

Jen

As a dog owner of two boxers who aren't the best swimmer, I always put their dog life jackets on them.I had my male fall overboard at the Nanticoke outflow. If he didn't have his life jacket on it could have been a bad situation. Some dog owners can be idiots!!!

I want to apoligize for my comment. I wasn't directing it towards anyone. I learned by watching one of my dogs sink in our pool that it couldn't swim. That's why I always put the jackets on my dogs.Sorry hope there is no hard feelings... some dogs can swim some cannot...

Marvin, on the other hand, is an absolute swimming machine.

I've had alot of dogs in my time but have never seen a pooch before that enjoyed the water as much as he does. When were up at the trailer, we take him for a swim every couple hours and he just luvs it. We could throw stick in the lake for 12 hours straight and he'll keep on chasing them.

I like to get in the lake with him too, but we almost have to hog tie him to get him outta the water :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv1513.jpg

Cnv0995.jpg

Cnv0991.jpg

I think that you folks are being too critical of Jen. If you look closely at the blury picture, the dog is over the shallow water and in the next shot Jen is helping the dog ashore while standing in fairly shallow water. I'm sure that she knew the limits of her pet.

As for swimming dogs, you can't keep mine away from the water. She even butts in on scenery shots!

med_gallery_170_217_111544.jpg

Edited by Cast-Away

anyone ever think thats how you teach a dog to swim, is to put it in the water, wow shes in 4ft of water and its her dog, im sure she wasnt trying to drown it, but as always the so called animal lovers FREEKOUT, and the first thing to do is to call another person an idiot because they got their dog wet, and yes i have a dog and she dont swim to good but she loves the water, so if you see us at a lake and it looks like shes drowning, stay the hell out of the way cus im teaching your how to swim,so Jen feel free to share, I told my dog to look at the pictures and see that there are other dogs like her that dont swim so good, saved me hundreds of dollars on a pet shrink,cus now shes not alone

Edited by fliptheslop

Very interesting points made. Gives you an insight into how different people view a situation.

He is my baby, and he does now know how to swim.

Actually it never crossed my mind that he didn't.

I will be cautious in the future of what I post, as to not offend sensibilities.

Cheers

Jen

Edited by Jen

Bear, one of our my previous dogs was a chow and couldn't swim very well. He still would go in the lake with me usually floating on an large innertube next to me. Never took him out to far and he seemed to enjoy his float.

Amy, my current best buddy, can swim and loves to go in the boat but I always put a dog lifejacket on her. Many times I have had people laugh at her wearing it while out in the boat with me. Comment usually is don't you know dogs can swim! Why do you have the jacket on her? One year she fell in between the boat and the pier as I was coming in to dock, I put the OB in neutral, went to the side of the boat grabbed the handle of the life jacket and lifted her into the boat. One of the people that said something to me a few days before came down and said "Now I know why you have a jacket on her, sure made it easy to get her back into the boat" My reply was yes it is and I didn't even get scratched.

lakair06-13.jpg

Edited by Garyv

I think that calling someone an IDIOT over an accident is a little extreme. Jumping down someones throat over a relatively harmless situation. You can make your point without going to extremes. After all we all fish and some hunt. Nothing like putting razor sharp hooks into another species mouth dragging around the lake for FUN. Or even further putting a bullet into an animal and then tracking it down until it dies.....WE ALL DO THIS ON PURPOSE. The dog is fine it was rescued.

Just want to apoligize to Jen on my comment. Your post caught my attention because I own two of the same breed as you do. I've been in that situation. Glad to see nothing happened to your pride and joy. Some dogs are natural swimmers. Mine are not, they sink like a rock... Sorry if I offended you or others.

wow that was harsh about a dog that can't swim... I m sure you guys have seen the pics of my dog.. (rat) lol Im am going to try and teach him how to swim but at the same point, Jen's dog jumped into the water on its own and no harm happend, why be so harsh? I come from an old school family my dad would "nudge" my dogs off the dock and sure enough after the third time or so they started jumping and swiming on their own. Really it's like a child the dog was supervised and if its not a strong swimmer how else will become one? I think the pics are funny Jen I can just imagine how your dog reacted when it realized it can't float like a boat!! and then you jump in and save the day!! I bet the bond between you two is stronger now.

Accidents happen. I always say, if its done on purpose, then post judgement........but i know Ive been in a few accidental situations that i didnt see coming. Im sure she loves her dogs to death as most owners do. She wouldnt have him/her out on the boat on the lake enjoying the day if she didnt. Gaurantee ya the lesson was learned. Theres definitely "idiot" pet owners out there........this is not one of those cases.

For those who fish with me know that my dog is my best fishing partner, yeap she is a water Rat just loves the water and when its slow I toss her gently :) over the side and she swim's until she is tired then comes back to the side for a pickup.. She will then stand at the side waiting to go again..

These are the pics from last year out on the Bog with Muskie Bill and John.

We were fishing a weed bed when my dog figured land.. over she went.. yes she need saving.

Once back on board she looked over the side and jumped again.. this time she stayed put when I could just pick her up.

gallery_106_92_34871.jpg

gallery_106_92_12598.jpg

gallery_106_92_12020.jpg

Almost all dogs can swim, its like human's panic kills.