Bunk vs Roller trailer

Guidofisherman

I'm buying a new 16 ft Lund Rebel XL SS with a 60 four stroke. That suits my needs and there is a good Lund incentive plan right now. I am still debating the old "bunk vs roller" issue. What do I order? I usually travel on good roads and launch at shallow, gravel ramps. I want to be able to get the boat on and off easily as I ain't getting any younger. Without getting into a heated debate, what is your advice and WHY.

Alan

I like bunk trailers, especially for smaller boats like yours.

The pros are, better support under the hull, pressure points spread over a larger area, less maintenance, ability to drive on the trailer, easier to line up the boat on the trailer.

The cons are a little tougher to slide to boat on and off the trailer on very shallow ramps (some glide sticks on the bunks help this), the bunks and carpet are prone to rotting over time (it took over 15 years on my trailer :) )

That's all I can come up with at this time. ;)

I have experience with both but have not used a roller trailer in years. Bunks all the way. I currently run a Nitro and can launch or load by myself and do so quite a bit. Loading is way easier with a bunk, get the bunks only half submerged and drive the boat all the way up the winch handle, two cranks and she is loaded. Having a hydraulic jack plate helps but I had an Astro before this and it was also a breeze to load and unload with no jack plate. Even if I am off line due to wind or the ramp, I can get the boat close enough to the winch, secure it, then back down a bit to straighten it out without having to unlatch the boat from the winch strap.

I also vote bunk trailer.....but here's something to REALLY think about....is the trailer offered "just" big enough for your boat as that is what most dealers do in order to keep the price down...I went 2 trailer sizes larger then what they offered and my rig is going strong for 25 years.

I removed all my center rolls and replaced them on the HARD yellow plastic/rubber rolls...I also grease said rollers when needed (about 2-3 years)... I also once a year spray a whole can of silicone spray on the bunks...this makes it VERY EASY to launch and retrieve by myself....one other thing...pull the brand new wheel bearing and GREASE them...they use VERY little grease from the factory.

Good Luck with the new Fishing Machine,

Bob

the only advantage of rollers is

I have seen very old men crank a boat up onto the trailer in low water with rollers and there is almost no way they would do it with bunks

same with coming off the trailer, I have seen them roll off going down the ramp on rollers and I have seen guys push them off rollers, things you would nver do with bunks....

I'll take a stab at promoting a roller trailer:

I used to have a bunk trailer on my old boat, all my friends have bunk trailers and I do like them. I picked up a used Lund in the fall and it was perfect in every way except it had a roller trailer. Now that I have some experience with it, I really like the roller trailer.

My old bunk trailer had the carpet wear of the back of the bunks within two years. My roller trailer has 20 individual rollers on 4 racks, so I don't feel that support is a problem on a 16'8" hull. When I load the boat I have the back set of rollers in the water and the front set out of the water, I can push the boat up to the front roller with 1000rpm, I leave the motor pushing while I hook up the front strap. I find my roller trailer with load guides is more consistent than my old bunk trailer for loading the boat straight. I do miss the bunks when I launch though, nothing easier than dunking the trailer and driving away. It would be nice if the rollers only rolled one way, allowing to load with ease but not roll back. :rolleyes:

Rae

Only issue I see with rollers....is making sure you don't take the secure line off before you dip the boat in the water. I have seen a few boats laying on boat launches feet from the water. The security line is everything with a roller trailer.

If you're worried that it will take a bit of armstrong to launch or retrieve the boat, go and get some Glide Stiks, they come in a variety of sizes to apply over the bunks. I removed the carpet completely, nothing to rot. I know one of the guys at the camp has a large 20' Starcraft on bunks with glide sticks, no effort required either direction.

in the bigger picture, these are pretty small,light boats we are talking about. its not like we're winching up a 28' cabin cruiser, so the choice between bunks and rollers is about maintenance, storage, personal opinion. the setup i always suggested to my customers who were on the fence were four bunks at the rear and a set or roller arms at the front. you have all the advantages of bunks at the rear (where the loading isn't an issue) and the anti friction advantage of rollers at the front for shallow ramps. bump up the size of your winch helps as well, but again pretty light boats we're talking about. properly set up roller trailers grab the boat earlier than bunks and align the boat better than full length bunk trailers. if you never dry load/unload your boat and your not in the boat moving business an all roller isn't what i would suggest. however as stated earlier if you have any loading doubts throw some rollers on the front. as always if anyone wants to talk trailers pm me ive built hundreds of custom trailers from seadoos to 50 foot hustlers to 38 foot cruisers....

good luck enjoy the new boat.

I'm buying a new 16 ft Lund Rebel XL SS with a 60 four stroke. That suits my needs and there is a good Lund incentive plan right now. I am still debating the old "bunk vs roller" issue. What do I order? I usually travel on good roads and launch at shallow, gravel ramps. I want to be able to get the boat on and off easily as I ain't getting any younger. Without getting into a heated debate, what is your advice and WHY.

Alan

Nip10212.jpg

Couldn't be happier with the same choice Al. I know you'll likely go console which will be great on the big water, although for what you're doing in some places, the tiller is really quick to respond on windy days. But that's another thread ain't it?? lol.

Anyways... I vote Bunks because of the name alone. But seriously though... I remember buying the WarCanoe off an inlaw up north. When I went to see it the boat had been sitting on the trailer much of the summer and had filled with a little water now and again, dampening the cedar strips. When looking at the boats bottom, the rollers in a few places, (especially nearest to the motor) had embedded themselves, leaving ruts into the canvas and wood, and even denting in one spot so much that a tear in the canvas had developed.

This wouldn't have happened to the WarCanoe with bunks, and I immediately switched out the rollers for bunks after purchase. I leave my boat on the trailer all summer long as well, storing it the same... and now trailer it far greater distances and more often than my uncle ever did. I used that boat in 1 month more than he did in 5 years. Had I left the rollers on, I am certain cedar strips would be split by now. And although we're talking aluminum not wooden boats, and a Rebel at 1200lbs vs the WarCanoe at 450lbs, bunks still provide greater weight distribution for the boat, over a larger area of the boat. That has to allow for more forgiving trailering I would believe. And as for getting the boat off and on at the water, I would think it pretty much the same roller or bunk. I powerload in alot of places with no issue and launch in all kinds of places... with bunks.

You're going to love the boat Al.

I have bunk boards on all of my boats including a 18ft ranger bass boat with 150. That thing was impossible to push off unless it was 3/4 floating. I found a product called Liquid Bunk Roller and sprayed it on the bunks. I went to launch the boat the next time and if it was not for the safety strap it would have ended up on the ground. I can launch it wet or dry with just a light push it is crazy how well this product works. I replaced my tie downs with a seatbelt type strapping system and a chain just to make me comfortable about how easily it slides.

Art

Alan

Al,

Knowing some of the areas you fish, no question about it, roller trailer. I recall having to back my truck into the water on low levels many a times to get the boat off. Some of my trips from up there the first thing I do when I get home is replace the rear end fluid in my truck. If I had a roller trailer, it wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers, Ron...

Well, I got what I asked for. Great advice and opinions. I'll make my final decision in a few weeks, and appreciate the additional suggestions like: trailer size, weight distribution, drive-on ability, maintenance, etc. For the past 25 years, I've had rollers (now just rolls), and the fiberglass bottom has stress cracks and black marks from the rollers, but they worked great. For this boat, I'm leaning to bunks for many of the reasons stated in the posts.

Alan

Al-pop-over.jpgAl-pop-over.jpg