Little Rant.. LOL

TJQ

I love Canada. I love northern Ontario.

I love the fact that where I live there are 4 distinct seasons, each with its own little batch of problems.

Its winter... I think we can all agree on that.

We have at least a foot of blowing snow here and much more overnight. I had a hard time with my 4 wheeler, getting to the end of my driveway tonight where the snowplow on the transcanada highway is down to one lane and has seen fit to put the other lanes in my driveway... It was an adventure!!

Its like this every year... it was like this last year ... and it will be like this next year.

I live here and I expect it... I love it!!! It's called Canada.... in the winter.

... but if I have to listen to one more Toronto newscaster on the TV whine about how bad the weather is there today.... and how the hotdog vendors couldn't sell hotdogs today .. or how the skating rinks were empty...... someones gonna wind up looking like Koscheck.... can someone from the GTA please go and explain to them where they live... in Canada.. please....

There. I feel better, thanks for listening.

Glad you got enough snow off the rock to crawl out and play with us today Boss !! :whistling:

LOL... Ya i hear ya.. I haven't been on much lately... watching everyday... Its my busy time of year and the days are just flying by.. thats a fact., Ill do better I swear!!

To be fair, there are a few extra problems here that the rest of the province doesn't have to face. One is the amount of traffic, nobody else has the density we have here, and rush hours are hell on even a sunny August afternoon. Rush hour in a place like Sudbury only gets delays if someone is trying to join the drive-thru lineup at Timmies. The other is the type of snow we get. Toronto creates a heat bubble, we're a bit warmer than surrounding areas, and as a result we don't often get the fluffy, easily moved snow that areas even close by enjoy. We get a heavy wet crap that isn't easy to live with. I spent many years working at Pearson with airfield maintenance, clearing snow from runways, taxiways, aprons, and roads. Not fun. I've also spent time in places like Ottawa in winter, they're colder and they get stuff that's so light that all you need to do to clear your front steps is give a good sneeze. But I admit that I was profoundly embarrassed a few years ago when an Argos rally at city hall was canceled due to cold weather. That makes Torontonians look like ultra-wimps. :(

LOL... Ya i hear ya.. I haven't been on much lately... watching everyday... Its my busy time of year and the days are just flying by.. thats a fact., Ill do better I swear!!

Busy time of year eh ... :unsure: ...wrapping prezzies for all us little good boys and girls? :dunno:

If you got my letter i sent you ....you can cancel the last 75 items on my list of wishes....but the first 225 items are a must....wake me up if you need a hand unloading the new boat...

ill leave cookies out for you

cheers

I tend to agree with Dave Bailey.Although winter in general is a beaufiful time of year,winter in a major city like T.O. or in my case,Montreal,has a whole different set of Rules.Traffic, snow removal,bad drivers, type of snowfal,(big cities tend to create a micro climate of warm air around itself) Plus Wind directed around and over high buildings, tends to increase in speed creating blowing snow an wind chill greater than surrounding areas.

So in general,winter in big cities can seem tougher than in smaller more rural areas.But as a Montrealer,i must say that Torontonians are a bit wimpy though.tongue.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

and rush hours are hell on even a sunny August afternoon. Rush hour in a place like Sudbury only gets delays if someone is trying to join the drive-thru lineup at Timmies.
Ya.. well ya got me there!!

".. can someone from the GTA please go and explain to them where they live... in Canada.. please...."

Toronto is in Canada? :P

Actually Hamilton gets the best weather in Ontario, the part below the escarpment anyway. The section of land from Hamilton east along the southern shore of lake Ontario to the edge of Niagara Falls is protected from a lot of the worst weather. :D

I think its news people making it seem important/newsworthy more than "torontonians" in general. Also, like Dave said -- snow impacts dense cities differently. A moderate snowfall can turn a 20 min drive into a 2hr drive. Not kidding.

Edited by cram

We have at least a foot of blowing snow here and much more overnight ...

... but if I have to listen to one more Toronto newscaster on the TV whine about how bad the weather is there today.... and how the hotdog vendors couldn't sell hotdogs today ..

Are you sure the network was not reporting on the hotdog vendors that checked into the addiction centers after "blowing snow"? No wonder they couldn't sell their hotdogs! Lots of interesting things going on here, but no snow in the core.

You have to remember that the weathermen in T.O. are pandering to a viewer audience that never grew up with real winters, or any winter, for that matter. They wear winter clothing the moment the needle hits 50F/10C.

They'd lose their jobs if they stood up and said "looks like we'll have lots of snow for the holidays, isn't it great?"

Micro climates resulting in heavy snow & building driven winds???

LOL...Sounds Like The center of the universe can be a ruff place sometimes :whistling:

Go visit London, or talk to the good folks in Huron and Bruce counties about "heavy" snow and winds, and they'll tell ya to blow your micro climate/building theory out the tail pipe :D

If you asked me...

I think if Torontonian weather forecasters didn't have something to Gripe about they'd

Have nothing to say at all.

Dave already touched on it, but if I lived in a less populated area with less traffic on the roads...bring it on baby!

Living down here, even a minor snow event is a major problem if you're forced to drive.

You're at the whim of every inept imbecile who can't drive in the snow.

what the hell we have a snow day at work today YEEHAW and heck we dont have that much snow on the ground but the blowing snow is making the HWY icy and for once the drivers have stuck together and called it quits for the day its about time our drivers stick together.

I love the snow but would rather sit and watch the other people slip and slide on the roadways.

bad side for me I will be out there around midnight tonight hitting the roads to make up for missing today.

Mornin T.J. at least you all have had more practice on the white stuff. Down here if we see white stuff we hop into our Soccer Mom SUV's and must run to the stores before we get snowed in for a day. While I don't mind the white stuff short term... we get snow then we warm up enough for it to melt off then repeat as it happens. I remember living in Michigan and it was around for months at a time but it changes into this hard substance that you cant make snowmen out of and to ski was just horrible. If we could get the media to put a positive spin on the whole snow thing the winters would be less of an issue and more of a pleasure for all.

Art