Little Rant.. LOL

TJQ

Funny winds this year.The drifts around my house are on the opposite side they are normally on.I wonder if the reversal of the earths magnetic field could have something to do with it.dunno.gif

Oh sure Paul. Check the bath tub. When you drain the water, does it turn clockwise or counter clockwise? :)

Funny winds this year.The drifts around my house are on the opposite side they are normally on.I wonder if the reversal of the earths magnetic field could have something to do with it.dunno.gif

At a rate of 15km a year, I don't think the shift will be noticeable in our lifetime. It is a very interesting science, that's for sure! I can't believe they can confirm the direction of polarity though core samples. Incredible. Hmm, if I were you, I would be watching my neighbour a little closer. Perhaps they are "redistributing" their snow while you are cozy inside watching tv. hehe.

A couple of other factors to be considered for central/southern ON:

Temperatures that bounce around that critical zero degrees Celsius leave roads much more treacherous than when its almost never near zero degrees, and change from minute to minute or Km by Km.

Lake affect snow with high winds. Higher moisture in the air that leads to more volatile and unpredictable weather.

The incredibly high number of people that live over an hour from the place they work.

The last point is based on our own choices, but is still a reality. Believe me, many of us would love to live closer to where we work, but the jobs are in one place, and where we want to/ can afford to live is in another.

This a diverse land, understand it, embrace it. :canadian:

Curious - how many of you northern guys have studs on your winter tires? I know they're legal up there (and not here). Do you use them? If so, I assume the differnece is night and day?

i could be wrong but ...i dont think studs are legal in ontario...alberta they are though ...

studs are legal in northern ontario. the address on your license has to be north of sudbury - i believe that is the dividing line

warm water on huron and gbay from a hot summer, coupled with some really strong cold north winds has produced some nasty lake effect squalls responsible for all this mess. the people in the affected areas are not unaccustomed to lots of snow by any means it's just been that much worse this year

Edited by Raf

A couple of other factors to be considered for central/southern ON:

Lake affect snow with high winds. Higher moisture in the air that leads to more volatile and unpredictable weather.

And THAT is one of the things that northerners don't have to face. A streamer coming off Hudson Bay will never make it far enough to affect Sudbury, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, etc. They aren't very predictable, and when they do occur they snake around like a whip, the tail end could be dumping snow on Brampton at 2pm and then move to Markham by 3, and back again by 4.

The incredibly high number of people that live over an hour from the place they work.

Another truism. There aren't many people in Sudbury who work in North Bay, nor many in Timmins who work in Cochrane. In most northern communities the work is where you live, down here your company might move around a few times for various reasons, and if you want to keep your job, benefits, and pension, you either move house or face a different and sometimes longer commute.

There's also the whole 'used to it' factor to consider. I don't laugh at Floridians when they get a rare belt of winter, they shouldn't be 'used to it', and instead I sympathize with their plight. Nor should they laugh at us when we get a stifling heat wave or the odd hurricane - we're not set up to handle it, and it would be uneconomical to be prepared for them all the time. Should we laugh at northerners when they come down here and get lost in a maze of Toronto traffic in a rush hour? I don't, and I've helped out quite a few with directions, advice, and even sometimes a 'follow me', even if it takes me out of my way. You can have a quiet chuckle among your fellows, but to throw it in the face of those who are genuinely inconvenienced is a bully tactic that is only done to make yourself feel superior. Next time a northern community is staring down a forest fire I can guarantee that southerners will not be laughing, instead we'll be sending aid. :whistling:

All seasons are almost useless in winter. whistling.gif

this is very true.For the last 2 winter we here in Quebec must have 4 winter tires on our cars.The winter accident rate dropped way down, and i personally wonder why i never used them in the past.Stops faster, advances faster,plows through heavy snow without fishtailing. Ya they are ugly as hell, but i am safer with them on my car.

And THAT is one of the things that northerners don't have to face. A streamer coming off Hudson Bay will never make it far enough to affect Sudbury, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, etc. They aren't very predictable, and when they do occur they snake around like a whip, the tail end could be dumping snow on Brampton at 2pm and then move to Markham by 3, and back again by 4.

Really?

SSM gets the bulk of its big snow events due to lake effect blowing across superior. it freezes over less frequently than Gbay/huron and would arguably have a greater effect as open water persists later into the winter. the snow belt just a few km north of town is intense, as is the one further north where I used to icefish.

Really?

SSM gets the bulk of its big snow events due to lake effect blowing across superior. it freezes over less frequently than Gbay/huron and would arguably have a greater effect as open water persists later into the winter. the snow belt just a few km north of town is intense, as is the one further north where I used to icefish.

Yep, realised I screwed up on the Soo. Buffalo and the Niagara peninsula get basically the same thing, and if we get a weather pattern coming from the east we get whacked pretty good too. But it holds for most other places in the north.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it's funny... i live in the soo, use all season radials, yet i have not:

a) put my car in the ditch

B) become stranded

c) been rescued by a military helicopter

i guess there's not enough micro climate up north? :whistling:

it's funny... i live in the soo, use all season radials, yet i have not:

a) put my car in the ditch

B) become stranded

c) been rescued by a military helicopter

i guess there's not enough micro climate up north? :whistling:

You're smart. The 300 people stuck were morons. We get it.

Ya same Luc...only had winter tires on 1 year and they work great, better than all seasons for the 2wd anyways.

Big problem I see is the distances people follow on the hwys down south, way too close to expeditiously maneuver should the need arise to do so. Lot to be learn going to an empty parking lot learning how to correct skids etc. plus its good fun. Also a number of folks I worked with down south didnt realize the danger in using cruise on poor conditions.

Practice in conditions makes a big difference. Nothing like bypassing the closed hwy barricades to go icefishing....I remember once barely spinning up the mile hill.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Practice in conditions makes a big difference. Nothing like bypassing the closed hwy barricades to go icefishing....I remember once barely spinning up the mile hill.

my favourite was spinning up the montreal river hill with transports jack-knifed and 2 pale, fresh out of the bar passengers...

To continue with the "I haven't needed it so I don't need it" theme: House insurance and seat belts. I've never seen a dime of my insurance money, and my seat belt has done nothing but wrinkle my shirts.

I'l continue to ponder this list and see what else I haven't needed yet. Bare with me, I'm a moronic wussie, or I'm I a wussie moron? I am too much of a moron to remember which it is.