Top Ten Fishing Inventions

Garry2Rs

The American Sportfishing Association announced their Top Ten list of influential items that have changed the way people fish.

Think you know what they are?

Without further ado...

1. Original Floating Minnow: 1936 — Rapala

Perhaps the most popular and successful lure in history.

2. Spring-loaded Bobber: 1947 — Nibble Nabber

Found in almost every angler's tackle box.

3. Mitchell 300: 1949 — Mitchell

Who hasn't fished this spinning reel?

4. Creme Worm: 1949 — Creme Lure Company

The plastic lure that started it all.

5. Closed Face Spincast Reel: 1949 — Zero Hour Bomb Company

How every kid learns to cast.

6. Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor: 1957 — Lowrance

Known as the "Little Green Box" that introduced anglers to sonar...the first ones were actually red.

7. Monofilament Line: 1958 — DuPont Stren

What did they use before mono?

8. Minn Kota Trolling Motor: 1958 — Minn Kota

Lets you crowd that other boat... quietly.

9. Fenwick High Modulus Graphite Rod: 1972 — Fenwick

Probably started the "hold-the-rod-tip-to-your-throat-and-talk" test.

10. Shakespeare Ugly Stik: 1976 — Shakespeare

So tough it could survive a nuclear holocaust.

I still have a mitchell 300 that my uncle Charlie left me with his fishing tackle, When I bought my first reel, it was the 300. I spent a lot of time at the Grand River using it and I thought it would change fishing forever. I used to have an old level wind Shakespear reel that my aunt made when she worked at the outfit that made them, I remember pulling yards of black line off it and whipping it like a lasso around my head and heaving the line out for my cast. How the spinning reel changed all that is amazing.

As a kid who's first rod was " True Temper " square metal fishing rod I'd put the development of the first fibreglass rods ahead of the listed rod entries. :thumbsup_anim:

Edit : grt1 my first reel was also a Shakespeare, made in Hamilton by "Inglis ". green it was .

Edited by dave524

5. Closed Face Spincast Reel: 1949 — Zero Hour Bomb Company

How every kid learns to cast.

Dad must have seen enough bombs during ww2, I learned on a Langley bait caster. I didn`t use one until the mid 90`s, but give me any semi closed face Abu 500 series reels over any zebco.

They make line other than Stren?

Who the heck are their sponsors? Free spool bait casters didn`t get a nod?

Hmmm, star drags? I remember having to thumb the spool for drag.

The right kind of bait casters, left hand retrieve.

Edited by OhioFisherman

The Ugly Stick description makes me laugh. When they first came out the picture in the ads was a guy bending it over backwards at the tip. My friend and I were in a Collegiate (think that was the name) Sports in Kitchener, way back then. I picked one up and attempted to do this, the rod snapped in my hands!!!

I looked over at my buddy, said "oh, no! I have to pay for this!!" We looked around, saw nobody and hightailed it out of the store!

Good times :D

Edited by FRANKIE65

15. Bob Izumi's Real Fishing TV Show (I believe this was the first, if not the longest running fishing show)

Not even close to being the first - Red Fisher was doing his thing on TV in the late 1960s, when Bob would have been about 12 years old. In the US, Gaddabout Gaddis was on air even earlier than that.

not to hijack, but, from experience, what size rapala minnow is best for what species of fish? in what circumstances does it really shine?

The can be cast, trolled. Like any lure they shine when they are the one that is working. I used them as a twitch bait a lot, cast it into a pocket in the lilies or weeds and let it sit. Some times you could see a bass rise behind it and just stare, a little twitch and they were all over it.

I used them from 2 - 7 inches, sort of a match the hatch thing Silver and black or Perch finish always worked the best for me.