Georgian Bay 50" Musky Slobs with Pics

moemoe

Unfortunately posting these pics and story was not supposed to induce controversy or argument, thanks to all those that post the congrats, if it is truly the same as posting pics as an oos fish, and technically I am "keeping it", does that mean that any fish that comes from georgian bay that is less than 54" is the same as oos? therefore if anyone post a pic or takes the time to measure lenght, girth and take some pictures of any fish less than 54 inches, including this 51 and 53 would be breaking the law of OFC as that would be subjecting a fish that did not meet the regulations and if less than 54 inches should technically released at boat side and not taken out of water as any fish less than 54 inches probably 45lbs would be unethical, just a thought

Edited by moemoe

Those are some great fish - wtg! Not many people catch one of those in a lifetime let alone 2 within a couple of weeks, for that you need to be commended.

I almost cringe everytime I see a title with someone posting pictures of a big 'ski becuase I know what the backlash will be. It is really unfortunately that people on this site seem to bash it, but I guess that is the world that is the internet.

If the OP had just posted the picture at the dock it probably would have been worse as there would have been accusations that he kept it or purposefully travleed a long way to get back and snap a quick pic. What's worse for the OP? Admitting to travelling with the fish or an unqualified post with just the pic at the dock. He chose to explain himself and still got jabbed for it. In the end all he wanted to do was show this COMMUNITY a fish or two that are trophies and that some of us will never get a chance to see up close. Thanks for that.

We've got a bunch of arm chair CO's out here and it doesn't do anything for the confidence of new or existing members for posting reports. I know there are people out here that no longer post reports due to the potential backlash.

It is one thing to use the regs or the size of livewells to back-up opinions, sure go ahead, but the regs don't account for common sense in wanting to take a picture of a trophy fish when you've forgot the camera.

There's no doubt in my mind that the OP had the health of that fish in mind when taking it for a pic, I think most others would agree since the tone of this thread is more about the regulatory aspect of 53 vs. 54 than the health of the fish.

Give it a rest for a bit and be supportive - we are a COMMUNITY after all.

moemoe Great fish.

No it is not the same as an OOS fish. Muskie are in season. Your fish are under the size limit.

A legal fish is 54". You are allowed to take a quick picture of a fish under 54" it then must be put back into the water. No boat ride. No livewell.

Edited by glen

I think it's a great fish

and I am not overly upset that you did what you did

but the guys posting that what you did is illegal, is a fact...no harm no foul ..

what gets me is all the guys that are bashing the people trying to protect muskie and let you know it is against the law...

most days most everyone would bash about what you did, not the people commenting on it...it was just a surprise..I saw one time they(Members of OFC) ran off a little girl from the website for posing with an OOS bass

again I had no great issue with what you did.....

Hey Terry, not that I disagree with you, but what you said is not exactly the case and the cause of the animosity on this thread. You said:

"what gets me is all the guys that are bashing the people trying to protect muskie and let you know it is against the law..."

That is not the intent of the following posts:

Nice fish Moe Moe...I know you were excited but LIVE WELL??? With a slot fish to boot. :rolleyes: Pushing that type of release isn't going to give you any brownie points.

on a side note..nice to see the airship is being put to good use...

Stuffing a fish that won't fit in a live well is just as bad if you ask me. Most here don't know it but I know MoeMoe's boat as it was I who advertized it for sale here at OFC and He bought it from a friend of mine.

If you all feel it's OK to stuff a slot sized fish in a live well for pictures or taxidermy purposes which only requires length and grith measurements.. :D ..I wouldnt feel to bad when you come here and complain about losing your boat and equipemnt after you have been pulled over by the MNR and OPP...and by the looks of things. There are a few as normal who feel they are above doing it the right way. Moe knows he did it wrong and Moe...making an excuse for taxidermny purposes... :rolleyes: It be a shame to see you lose that boat of yours.

Hows that civil for ya..... :tease::jerry:

Two better posts on the topic that do say it is illegal, which are appropriate and informative.

congrats on the catches, nice done.

to gbfisher's point; the minimum size on gbay is 54", hence having it in your livewell (thus in your possession) would have been illegal.

moemoe Great fish.

No it is not the same as an OOS fish. Muskie are in season. Your fish are under the size limit.

A legal fish is 54". You are allowed to take a quick picture of a fish under 54" it then must be put back into the water. No boat ride. No livewell.

Obviously, the OP didn't know the regs, too bad for him, but he certainly does now. Just no reason for the tone of the previous posts IMO.

Those are some great fish - wtg! Not many people catch one of those in a lifetime let alone 2 within a couple of weeks, for that you need to be commended.

I almost cringe everytime I see a title with someone posting pictures of a big 'ski becuase I know what the backlash will be. It is really unfortunately that people on this site seem to bash it, but I guess that is the world that is the internet.

If the OP had just posted the picture at the dock it probably would have been worse as there would have been accusations that he kept it or purposefully travleed a long way to get back and snap a quick pic. What's worse for the OP? Admitting to travelling with the fish or an unqualified post with just the pic at the dock. He chose to explain himself and still got jabbed for it. In the end all he wanted to do was show this COMMUNITY a fish or two that are trophies and that some of us will never get a chance to see up close. Thanks for that.

We've got a bunch of arm chair CO's out here and it doesn't do anything for the confidence of new or existing members for posting reports. I know there are people out here that no longer post reports due to the potential backlash.

It is one thing to use the regs or the size of livewells to back-up opinions, sure go ahead, but the regs don't account for common sense in wanting to take a picture of a trophy fish when you've forgot the camera.

There's no doubt in my mind that the OP had the health of that fish in mind when taking it for a pic, I think most others would agree since the tone of this thread is more about the regulatory aspect of 53 vs. 54 than the health of the fish.

Give it a rest for a bit and be supportive - we are a COMMUNITY after all.

Best post I've read in a long long time here!

but you understand that most people go nuts here when anyone takes a photo of an OOS bass

that muskie was not a legal fish and he would have lost his boat and equipment if the MNR caught him

why is this OK

have I missed something as compared to the OOS outrage

would he have lost his equip & boat for a fairly harmless infraction? I think not.

Guest gbfisher

would he have lost his equip & boat for a fairly harmless infraction? I think not.

simple or not...they do stuff like that all the time. I wacthed a guy lose everything this spring. Car, boat, equipment. For try to leave with a 52" fish OOS. They will treat you accordingly. Saying yer taking it for a ride for pictures.... :clapping:....Take your chances I guess.

Just not having your license on you will have them take your tackle and happens each year.

No worries...Moe and I have had lots to talk about in PM's... :)