Lac St.Louis Fishing Report.Marc,Mike,Roy

Mike the Pike

Started off the day the usual wake up time.

120169.JPG

120170.JPG

A 9.2lb walleye brought in to be weighed for a fishing tournament.At the bait shop.

120171.JPG

First fish of the day my son Ryan.

120172.JPG

Double header from Roy down lower than you all usually see him :whistling:

120173.JPG

120174.JPG

120175.JPG

120176.JPG

120177.JPG

120178.JPG

120180.JPG

My son Ryan with Marc-Olivier.Marc Thorpe's son.

120183.JPG

120185.JPG

120186.JPG

120187.JPG

120188.JPG

120189.JPG

120190.JPG

120191.JPG

120192.JPG

See that Chevy Malibu ,no 4 wheel drive and it never got stuck :whistling:

120193.JPG

120194.JPG

120195.JPG

Marc Thorpe and son Marc-Olivier.

120196.JPG

The surprise of the day.

120197.JPG

120198.JPG

120199.JPG

120200.JPG

120201.JPG

Roy called me a bugger before I took this shot.Who needs a truck

the chevy malibu never got stuck.

Jeep C rugged 4 wheel drive and no more get up and go :whistling:

120202.JPG

The ice road out.Thats the other truck that got stuck.

MTP :Gonefishing:

How big was the Sturgeon ? are they rare on that lake ?

Nice job.

Gbay that Sturgeon was about 8 to 9lbs.This was my first time fishing this area but according to Marc Thorpe there are some that are caught.Marc said he hooked into one about 18lbs last week.This is part of the St.Lawrence River and catching Sturgeon in the Montreal area is quite frequent.Mike.We were about 20 minutes from downtown Montreal.

Awesome report Mike! Looks like you guys had a great day out there! Great pics and fish there....that eye was really nice and the sturgeon was just cool. Looks like the boys had a great time time too. One thing...why were you standing on that box in the pic with Roy?? Isn't he short enough without you making it worse??? haha.

Nice job guys!

Ya sure had fun

Its the second Sturgeon I have caught,well this one was my son but we filmed one last week around 18 pounds or so like Mike metioned

Actually the Sturgeon population is somewhat stable/and commercially harvested

Wish I could say the same about alll species

The ministry will be conducting an entire reasearch and data collection on the entire St Lawrence mainly because populations of all species have seriously declined and habitat destruction is at its all time highest. The crux on the matter is the entire St Lawrence from one end to the other is suffering severly.They even speculate it will never recover from past stable populations

Good thing is this ice fishing Outfitter promotes the release of fish,expecially bigger walleyes and large game species

Roy had all 4 wheels on,prob is that is flat ice under the snow

Good thing is the kids had fun and the fish kept everyone busy

Chris,Yes Marco is quickly catching up in height, I think I am getting older

Edited by marc thorpe

The ministry will be conducting an entire reasearch and data collection on the entire St Lawrence mainly because populations of all species have seriously declined and habitat destruction is at its all time highest. The crux on the matter is the entire St Lawrence from one end to the other is suffering severly.They even speculate it will never recover from past stable populations

I don't want to hijack this thread Marc, but that's both an interesting and scary thought and it'd be good if you could explain your thoughts on it as to what's happening to the populations and habitat.

Over fishing.....pollution......virus ??

Perhaps in a seperate thread though whenever you find time.

Yes Lew its true,not many know of this. I work closely with the ministry and they turn often to me for my observatiosn and compare to other observations and after 15 years,they realize not to use my results but to use the common anglers results,because my results are skewed because of my continuous presence.I think over the years with mistakes they have made,they keep the info provided on the QT and act upon it,unfortunatly they are 10 years too late

Its not in good shape,there are talks about including the Otttawa

Reasons of population decline are as you mentioned (Fishing pressure,commercial fishing from past,perch population decline because of resale by local anglers cutting a fat rat,disease,warming of the waters by 4 degrees)

Pollution is somewhat much better than 20 years ago

Lew not much to bring up in a seperate thread,simply lack of info and data leading to the reasons why

Honestly ,I dont think folks would really like to hear my opinion on why fisheries decline

It encompasses far too much in which some will be ruffled

I see no reason for 50 perch limits,6 walleye limits,6 pike limites

When is the last time you saw someone eating 6 walleyes or pike or 50 perch?

I would suggest 3 as a limit for walleye and pike and 15 to 20 perch should be plenty IN POSSESSION " In Possession "

In other words At home or in your boat or day of fishing combined

That is problably the biggest violation we as anglers are negatively impacting all species

Dont kid yourself 60-75% of un-informed anglers are breaking the law,why such a high number

simply because these anglers comprise of most of the anglers who use fishing as an occasional hobby without regularety and when purchasing a license they are not informed of the basic laws by the establishement providing these licenses

We've seen the debates of location info sharing on this site and Lew you know my position on it

10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish,why you ask,simply because 10% of the anglers do not pay attention to where 90% of the anglers are fishing ;)

I suspect its not one thing but many factors which have led to this

Most puzzling is species like channel catfish and sturgeon are thriving but other species are declinning.I suspect this may have direct correalation with habitat and fishing pressure

We as anglers are accountable for the decline of our resources,we must take notice and be conscience of our presence and negative impacts on our resources and act accordingly if we wish it to survive. There's something to be learned from Native tradittions and how some still survive off the land.Using these methods of living and enjoying the resources in harmony with it without abusing it will allow it to survive and flourish

We as humans are by far the biggest netagive impact on our resources when our behaviors towards it are diss-resspectfull

We are changing for the better somewhat,education must continue for futur generations

Unfortunatly Catch and release will not cut it and is not enough to bring back the health of the St Lawrence

The basic forlmula to recovering somewhat stable populations is acting upon the forage

Stabilize Perch,Emerald shinners populations and then we will open the flood gates for other species to flourish ,but thats too simple

Edited by marc thorpe