Barrie Police Boat

NAW

I’m really not one to rant, especially about the Police. I have a ton of respect for police officers, and actually would like to be one some day.

HOWEVER..

Barrie Police just wrote off their THIRD boat in under 1 year!!!

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2668838

No wonder my tax keeps rising living in Barrie..

It has not been confirmed that the boat was written off, but I would imagine a rigid haul fiberglass boat can’t handle being dropped on an asphalt road.

I wonder if they were charged with failure to properly secure a load, under the highway act, like any of us would have been? "Teather strap broke and rear straps released"... that's why there's a mandatory saftety chain requirement!!.. and try "rear straps weren't attached"!

I wonder if they were charged with failure to properly secure a load, under the highway act, like any of us would have been? "Teather strap broke and rear straps released"... that's why there's a mandatory saftety chain requirement!!.. and try "rear straps weren't attached"!

My thoughts EXACTLY..

Edited by F-is-H

Maybe we should have to call up A Channel and have them send over a news reporter and find out, if they want public support, make it an even playing field.

I had to detour around this on Wednesday morning. The zodiac was upside down and I did not realize it was a police boat at the time (I don't rubber neck). I did think it was odd that there were big black police SUVs blocking traffic though. Three incidents in the time period does seem to be too many.

No safety chain ... apparently no kill switch tethers either, per this story from the Orillia Packet & Times, referring to the previous incident in September 2009:

POLICE BOATS DAMAGED IN WEEKEND CRASH

A Barrie police officer narrowly escaped serious injury on Saturday when he was thrown from a 21-foot pontoon boat after it hit a wave, according to Sgt. Robert Allan.

Officers in the larger police boat, a 27-foot Stanley, were forced to intentionally ram the smaller vessel to bring it to a stop, he said, adding that both craft sustained "significant" damage as a result.

Around 5 p. m. Saturday, both the boats were out on Kempenfelt Bay, checking the engine on the larger vessel.

"They thought everything was OK and were coming in when the pontoon boat hit a large wave, knocking the officer out of the boat. The boat run on manual unmanned in a circular pattern," Allan said, adding it could have possibly struck the officer.

"Because he was wearing a personal flotation device, it's very difficult to dive under the water below the propeller. It was certainly a life-threatening situation," he said. "The bigger boat had to ram the smaller boat to prevent harm to the officer."

Allan said there were no injuries, but that both officers were shaken up. The cost to repair both boats was unknown yesterday, but city police will utilize the services of boats from other area police agencies to continue monitoring the bay.

chief_wiggum_sarah_wiggum-726353.jpg

I had to detour around this on Wednesday morning. The zodiac was upside down and I did not realize it was a police boat at the time (I don't rubber neck).

Upsidedown??

Doesn't sound like it just slid off the back of the trailer.. Maybe someone took a corner a little to fast.

From last Septembers crash..Two city officers were removed from Barrie's marine unit following the crash and there was an internal investigation.

"I'm not allowed to divulge how they were reprimanded," Adam said.

Two weeks of gruel, water and plain donuts, ya, reprimanded my :asshat:

I strongly believe part of the safe boater course(mandatory) must include safe trailering and load safety. ,

Edited by Fisherman

We still have our larger boat so this won't affect policing.

Well, if it won't affect it, why did they spend the money on the boat in the first place.

They have all the time in the world to be safe. I really can't believe the tether strap one either.

Thats like making life jackets mandatory.

Next time they stop me and ask for safety equipment I'm gonna tell them, only if I get to check you guys too. :whistling:

Upside down is not completely accurate. It was flipped over, with the console and the gunwale on the ground. If upside down is 180 degrees and on its side is 90 degrees then it was 120-150 degrees. I would agree that it must have happened turning from Cundles onto Livingstone or swerving to avoid something. I don't know where the boat was coming from, but if it was going to launch in Simcoe (as was stated in the article) it seems like they were taking an odd route. :dunno:

I fully agree with the above. There is absolutely no way that all three securing methods failed at once! Maybe if they maintained it like they themselves owned it instead of the tax payer, this sort of nonsense would not occur. I have never had, nor have seen any ONE of those straps fail on any of my boats over the years. Let alone all of them!

Ab