Skunked, Skunked, & Skunked again!

Big Cliff

Well, last Saturday, armed with some secret techniques and a honey hole or two that some of you so kindly provided by PM, I headed out to try to catch a walleye. 4 hours of fishing not a single fish landed, in fact not even one on and lost.

Sunday morning it was raining and blowing like crazy but by noon the rain had stopped so away I went again. When we got out onto lake there were waves 4+' high, the boat is safe enough but that is just plain uncomfortable so I decided to head up the river toward Lindsay. Tried trolling, bouncing twister tails rip jigging, 3 more hours, not one fish.

Last night, I got home from work, had an early supper, grabbed a can of Ice tea and headed out, I was on the water by 5:30. Conditions couldn't have been better, a light breeze, a slight chop on the water, a wisp of cloud to the West, just enough to shade the sun. I headed out to a secret honey hole that someone had kindly shared with me. I did everything but empty my tackle box into the lake. Everything from 3' to 14' of water, weed beds to weed edges, 3 hours, 1 rock bass.

I finally decided to finish off the evening back over here in Goose Bay, I think I might have had one hit that felt like it could have been a walleye but that was it, I finally packed it in at 9:30 and came home empty handed AGAIN!

Now I have to tell you I have a lot of tackle and I recently purchased a whole lot more based on some of the reports I had gotten. I now own so many bucktails that I actually had to add a whole new tray to my tackle box, and if I don't have $750.00 worth of plastics and just about every colour of jig head they make I'll be surprised. That doesn't even come close to the number or trolling lures, worm harneses, and other odds and ends. Believe me, I have been trying them all!

To top it all off I'm still getting reports from other members of 20 fish catches in 2 hours. Kids limiting out, secret spots where you can almost walk on the fish they are so thick. Anyone got any CIL wobblers they would like to part with?

So, I need a goat, a cow, a pig, a chicken, and a virgin to sacrifice to the fishing gods (Ok maybe not the virgin, I'll just take her fishing with me :whistling: ). I don't know what I've done to anger the fishing gods but it sure must have been a doozie.

Today is your lucky day - that would be me! :w00t::rofl2:

Now you do realize I did say "I would take a virgin fishing" I didn't say anything about bringing a virgin home home again!!! :angel:

Edited by Big Cliff

Now you do realize I did say "I would take a virgin fishing" I didn't say anything about bringing a virgin home home again!!! :angel:

Not quite.....you said you would sacrifice a virgin :blush: I just saw the word virgin and had to come forward....sorry about that. :D

Big Cliff, I have tried the virgin thing too, and :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: and even that didn't work :wallbash::wallbash: . Last year I finally broke down and bought one from the store! (pickerel). As my son called it it was the walk of shame. Buying it instead of catching it. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: The sad part was he fried it up and ate the whole thing before I got a chance at even the cheeks. Some day we should fish together and break the streak. :tease::tease::tease:

Well, last Saturday, armed with some secret techniques and a honey hole or two that some of you so kindly provided by PM, I headed out to try to catch a walleye. 4 hours of fishing not a single fish landed, in fact not even one on and lost.

Sunday morning it was raining and blowing like crazy but by noon the rain had stopped so away I went again. When we got out onto lake there were waves 4+' high, the boat is safe enough but that is just plain uncomfortable so I decided to head up the river toward Lindsay. Tried trolling, bouncing twister tails rip jigging, 3 more hours, not one fish.

Last night, I got home from work, had an early supper, grabbed a can of Ice tea and headed out, I was on the water by 5:30. Conditions couldn't have been better, a light breeze, a slight chop on the water, a wisp of cloud to the West, just enough to shade the sun. I headed out to a secret honey hole that someone had kindly shared with me. I did everything but empty my tackle box into the lake. Everything from 3' to 14' of water, weed beds to weed edges, 3 hours, 1 rock bass.

I finally decided to finish off the evening back over here in Goose Bay, I think I might have had one hit that felt like it could have been a walleye but that was it, I finally packed it in at 9:30 and came home empty handed AGAIN!

Now I have to tell you I have a lot of tackle and I recently purchased a whole lot more based on some of the reports I had gotten. I now own so many bucktails that I actually had to add a whole new tray to my tackle box, and if I don't have $750.00 worth of plastics and just about every colour of jig head they make I'll be surprised. That doesn't even come close to the number or trolling lures, worm harneses, and other odds and ends. Believe me, I have been trying them all!

To top it all off I'm still getting reports from other members of 20 fish catches in 2 hours. Kids limiting out, secret spots where you can almost walk on the fish they are so thick. Anyone got any CIL wobblers they would like to part with?

So, I need a goat, a cow, a pig, a chicken, and a virgin to sacrifice to the fishing gods (Ok maybe not the virgin, I'll just take her fishing with me :whistling: ). I don't know what I've done to anger the fishing gods but it sure must have been a doozie.

Let me know when you have a free day or two Cliff. We will bring the cow, pig, chicken and holy water. My supply of virgins has dwindled over the years though. PM me or e-mail me and let me know. We can exhaust my many tackle boxes, they don't work too well either. Be well my friend!

I think this man needs an intervention, quick.

Out of the depths of your despair, the fishing gods will hear your cries and you will be redeemed.

Failing that, you may need to "medicate" yourself to ease the pain. :P

Cliff, is Gannons Narrows within reach for you? If you can get there drift it with mr twisters tipped with leaches or minnows.

Good luck.

Cliff would have to go through the locks at Bobcaygeon...Pick Nanook (Jack) and me up on the north shore of Pigeon Lake then head down the back channel to the narrows...

Sounds good to me...whistling.gifGonefishing.gif

Edited by Beans

I have very few super superstitions. Did you store your rod and reel near your gas tank....................... that's bad real bad. Remove all line wash rod and reel and re line.

One time I bought cheap sunscreen and got skunk 2 weekends in a row. Berkly later came out with some chemical "starts with T@^%$**&^" that's bad real bad.

Get cleaning up your equipment it will change your frame on mind.

Cliff

If you need some help on your fishin I will gladly give you lessons Sat. on how to fish Southern Style up at Lak Air.

Art

O BTW pick up about a half a pound of alligator tail for bait please.

Guest Johnny Bass

If I didn't have a job Interview I would come fish with you Cliff! But it looks like you got professional help with Harrison. Maybe you are using too thick of a line? Try 6 pound mono!! A bright jig head with a white or smoked twister. Cast it out and drag bottom stop, drag bottom, stop. Sometime I pick them up when I am hopping the lure across the bottom. Look for deep weed edges and cast away!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Cliff - you are really on a pattern. The consistency is amazing (amazingly mind boggling) I wish I had some idea's for you but by the sounds of what you are doing, I'd be doing the same. Sounds like you have some good offers here. I may hit you lake on Sunday with my old man. I'll pm you if we are going and maybe jump in with us for the day. Change of venue might be all you need to get things going.

Guest Johnny Bass

I forgot. The easiest thing to use for pickerel are Rapala shad raps(jointed preferably)in a natural pattern like a minnow or even better perch since that is what they feed on in Sturgeon. Just fan cast all along the weed edges early morning, late evening when they are most active.

Oh Cliff my good friend....what are you cooking up now? For those of you who don't know, Cliff guided in the French River area for years...he knows his stuff no matter what water he's on. So this is the question... what are you up to Cliff? :D

Cliff, I was out there today musky fishing. Got two musky, 41" and 37". Also got 4 walleye casting musky spinnerbaits. My buddy that was with me caught a couple more eyes on a hammered silver wormharness, tipped with a berkely powerbait leech.

We were almost within shouting distance of your house. Definitly within eyesight of your front window!!!! I don't know what your doing wrong my friend.

I think it might be your new boat that's cursed??

S.

Cliff, I was out there today musky fishing. Got two musky, 41" and 37". Also got 4 walleye casting musky spinnerbaits. My buddy that was with me caught a couple more eyes on a hammered silver wormharness, tipped with a berkely powerbait leech.

We were almost within shouting distance of your house. Definitly within eyesight of your front window!!!! I don't know what your doing wrong my friend.

I think it might be your new boat that's cursed??

S.

There you go Cliff...time to fish off your dock in the evenings with a lighted bobber and minnow...secret weapon from past years not working?

Edited by Beans