Lake Ontario Salmon anglers?

fishdawg

Hey gang

ive been a "member" here for quite a while & have gotten to know a few of you fairly well as to what your preffered styles of fishing are...

OFC has grown in members over the years, so I am just curious as to how many folks here take adavantage of Lake Ontario's open water salmon (& trout) fishery?

by far it has become my favourite over the last few years, though I will happily fish just about any other water body or method that southern Ontario has to offer

I love it... been fishing lake ontario for a few years now.... before i was strickly pike, bass and walleye... tied into my first salmon in 99 and been addicted ever since. My biggest to date is over 27 lbs, and happly searching for my first tyee.

On a side note... my dad who is now 70, got into salmon fishing about 5 years ago, but prior to that just fished for the odd time... now he is the one asking my brother and me, when are we heading out next. Needless to say he caught the bug and we all love it.

As you might of heard, a new club is starting in Port Credit, can't wait.

I have wanted to fish in the open lake for a long time. With a young family though, it is tough to afford a boat that will allow me to get out there, so for now I stick to the tribs. Hopefully one year soon :). Love seeing all the pictures you guys post of the big kings and bows you pull out though. When I was a teenager, we used to fish Lake Erie for pickeral, and I always had a great time there.

Edited by raptorfan

Yep, planning on fishing the Big Lake this Sat for the first time this year, I'll be trying to find some warm shallow water for Browns...

Just wish it(The Lake) was always friendly...

Salmon_off_the_Bar2.JPG

It's an atlantic.......

Last summer was my first season out of my own boat out there. Previous to that, I spent time out there with friends and charters, learning the ropes. Im totally addicted now. If conditions allow it, I'm out there every time from May until hunting season.

I catch the odd fish too :)

P6180001-1.jpg

P6140003.jpg

P6080019.jpg

P5110003-1.jpg

P5220003.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

S.

I too used to fish mainly for Walleye, Pike, Bass, etc...on smaller lakes, but ever since I started trolling for Salmon out of Port Credit about 6 years ago, I say 90% of all my fishing is just that. I guess it helps that I am only 1/2 hour away from the launch and that it is an awesome fishery.

And no, I don;t eat the fish out of Lake Ont. but many do. Just check out the cleaning station at the launch and there are usually a few people fileting some fish (and many others waiting to take someone's fish that wasn;t able to be released successfully due to it being deeply hooked).

Edited by fisher

If your interested in getting out now, the best spot is off Jordon Harbour, this area warms up first, there will not be many chinnok around yet but lots of browns and coho. I fish with boards in 8'-12' of water early morning and out to 20' later in the day, I don't go deeper this time of year. As for baits, I run J-9 or J-11 Rapalas with the 9's being the best producers for Brownies in this cold water, colour is not a big thing I've had 4 fish on at once on 4 different colours. The brownies will be in schools so if you hit 1 chances are another rod will pop right away. Another tip is to slow down 2mph max this time of year, there is a launch in behind the beacon restaurant drive out of the harbour and start trolling head west for about 2miles along the shore if you hit fish turn around and run through them again.

i run a fairly small boat myself for the big water, just gotta pick safe days & use common sense

Ditto that! Its not the boat that catches the fish. Pick your days and have atter. A lot of guys around my area think I'm nuts fishing Lake O in my boat, but I pick my days carefully, and try to be prepared for anything.

S.