Casting Methodology

JohnF

Casting Style Poll  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What hands do you use with a baitcaster?

• Cast right, crank right
    • Cast right, crank left
    • Cast left, crank left
    • Cast left, crank right
  2. 2. With a spinning rig?

• Cast right, crank right
    • Cast right, crank left
    • Cast left, crank right
    • Cast left, crank left

Dunno if I've got this right cuz I've never initiated a poll before but here goes:

There's a thread on the go now about grip and cranking style that's getting lots of input. It would be interesting, for me at least, if we do a head count on methodology.

JF

I can cast farther with my right arm but I am more accurate with my left and I am always switch casting depending on where I am in the boat and who is around me.I haven't used a spinning rod near a much as a bait caster and one thing good about spinning reels is the ability to move the crank to either side so that switching hands is not an issue.

By the way I am right handed.

vance

Edited by vance

i am lefthanded (writing, throwing, hockey etc) but I cast with my right and reel with left baitcast or spinning. so am i the weird one? hahah

could not imagine casting with left hand. not that there's anything wrong with it.

Now we have two posts I'll have to follow...lol jk

Great Poll, but yeah, it should identify lefty from righty.

I didn't figger handedness was relevant here given the variety of tsyles used by right handers alone.

JF

Damnnnn,.. John..... just when i almost lost my OBSESSION for soft water... u gotta bring up CASTING :angry:

I am trying to " be excited" about catching panfish... B) I am really trying.,.,.,, maybe when i catch something bigger under the ice... soon i hope... will i really get EXCITED .... in the mean time...i will keep on jiggin

Same goes for me. I can cast with either hand but always reel baitcasting with the right and spinning with the left.

Whenever I try to reel a baitcaster left handed I end up spinning the rod not the handle! Spinning reels are easier to reel with the opposite hand for some reason... don't ask me why... it just works out that way for me.

Same goes for me. I can cast with either hand but always reel baitcasting with the right and spinning with the left.

Whenever I try to reel a baitcaster left handed I end up spinning the rod not the handle! Spinning reels are easier to reel with the opposite hand for some reason... don't ask me why... it just works out that way for me.

When spinning gear was fairly new to North America in the fifties and early sixties, it was not unusual to see people that had been brought up using bait casting gear and cranking with the right hand actually switch hands with spinning gear and with the spinning reel on top of the rod reeling backwards to retrieve. Same problem, different era :D

That's as good an explanation for CRCR as I've seen yet. :P

And I notice the CRCL contingent is forging ahead again in the BC dept. Last night I thought the traditional CRCRers were overtaking us. Frankly I think the poll will favour the CRCR types if the numbers get high enuf. Apparently it's just us lefty crankers who are paying attention.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Glad to see you are one of the normai ones JP!!