Polarized sunglasses

super dave

An excellent deal on polarized glassed used to be available at Costco. I got a pair with 3 different lenses for 49.95. I still have the amber ones after 4 years and not a scratch on the lens. I lost the case fishing with the extra 2 sets of lenses in them. I am actually going to get another set if Costco still has them. They were made by uvex who make safety glasses and I guess that is why I couldn't scratch the lenses. I have stepped on them dropped them on gravel. Had more than "friend" bend back a branch and then just for fun let it smack me in the face while walking through the bush, so the lenses do stand up. As for the quality of sighting things in the water I routinely nail fish that my buddies wearing the big dollar glasses can't see....

Just bought a pair of IronMan at Walmart for 28$....thought they were decent, dark shade.

I really liked my Bolle H20 with the floating strap that had swivels on the end to hook onto the frame....no bulky strap, just a loose thin cord with some floats. Ran over them with the Exploder this fall when the fell out the passenger side after the wife to be got out of it. Lenses broke, but the frames still fine. Going to contact Bolle to see if I can get a new pair of lenses.

Pros: high cost= better quality!!!!!!!!!, can get 5 pairs or so of decent cheap ones(30$) for the price of a good 150$-200$+pair

Cons: high cost can be lost just as easily, cheap pairs scratch more easily, can be less comfortable, can break more easily.....

Walked by a Sunglass Hut the other weekend, and dreamed of picking up a new pair of higher end polarized.....but couldn't swing it. Maybe check out BassPro sometime, where there's a wider selection of prices 10$ on up to the high end Oakleys. Maybe find something around 100$?

Take a look at Solar Bat glasses. I started using them last year and they were the best I have used so far. Incredible for fishing and driving. Style and lense colour is usually preference. I really like their green lense or the two tone pairs. Warranty is amazing as with service.

For those of us that need bifocals to do routine tasks , last time I needed some correction in the top 1/2 as well and can't swing the price of polarized presciption glasses. I've been getting these for some time and been very happy with them. The clips are very close fitting, light and secure unlike most of the aftermarket polarized clip ons. Last pair is 4 years old and the magnetics are still strong.

Look at the Easy Clip line

http://www.aspexeyewear.com/

I picked up a pair at Gander Mtn for $20. They look good. I wore them every day for 3 weeks in Mexico. Dropped 'em off the peak of my cap twice and wore 'em in the pool at least half a dozen times. They came thru it all unscathed and still working great. I'll feel a whole lot better the day they fall into the lake or get sat on than if they had cost hundreds of bux.

JF

I have the same Uvex from Costco... Only prob is that one set of lenses are polarized.. The other two you get aren't.

yes costco has them.

$49.99 3 different types

1- fixed brown lense

2-with the 3 lenses that you are talking about

3- they have a 4 lense. 2 polorized brown &grey and 2 that are not yellow & clear.

no thats not a typo, i asked the girl working the counter today and thats what she said---clear--

i have no idea why you would need clear..

Maui Jim's , theres not even a close second, if money is not the issue this is what I recomend this is what I where, Ive tryed every sunglasses on the market from $10 to $300 you get what you pay for. I wear them all the time summer, winter you name it, the best bar none.

Paul

I was in the mall yesterday looking at polarized glasses. The girl working there said Maui Jim's are 89% polarized, whereas Revo's are 99%. Something you may want to consider. The Maui Jim's with the titanium frame are sweet though, and will set you back $300. Revo's were 200-300+.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

the plastic is virtually the same arcylic product be in a 200 pair or a 5 pair, its the film that makes it and again my understanding from my brother who is an engineer and makes the very same films that tyhe difference is marginal at best.

plastic? my polarized shades are glass (costa del mar)

One point nobody has touched on is how important lense quality really is.High optic quality means less/no eye strain and if you fish often you owe it too your eyes to wear good optic lenses (you only have 1 set of eyes).Maui's are the cream as far as optic quality,have been told by several optometrists.

Hi guys,

Can someone remind me of the policy of posting that you work part-time for a company and try and endorse that company (sales) through a great website like this? Yes, it refers to sunglasses...

thanks

disregard..spoke with TJ..thanks guys

Edited by ColdH20guy

Hi guys,

Can someone remind me of the policy of posting that you work part-time for a company and try and endorse that company (sales) through a great website like this? Yes, it refers to sunglasses...

thanks

disregard..spoke with TJ..thanks guys

The prime determinant is what you can offer as a special discount to members here. :D

JF

Another vote for Bolle H2Optix. I'm on my third pair and have sworn off Wally World craptastic shades, you really do get what you pay for.

Only prob is Bolle sold the brand to Serengeti and they're nowhere near as nice as they used to be. Seeing as how my girlfriends damn puggle puppy just chewed my last Bolle pair I might give the Maui Jim's a shot.