Portable Ice Huts HT vs. Clam

archie_james_c

Me and a buddy are looking at going halves on a portable ice hut we were looking at the following...

Clam Summit 6'X8' 78" center height. 30lbs...249$ USD on Cabela's.

HT Insta Shak 92"X92" with an 84" center. 249$ CDN 22lb weight on Lebaron.ca

Is something too good to be true here with the HT? Bigger, lighter AND cheaper?

Anyone who has seen these beasts up close and can compare material for me feel free to chime in! B)

After having owned an HT flip shelter, I would not reccomend their product. Thinner grade canvas, poor stitching and soft hinges mean a lot of repairs. I'm on my third season with the HT 2 man and I have spent a lot of time restitching seams and replacing pins every season.

I would go for the Clam

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

HT's stuff has not impressed me as of yet. It was an HT ice rod I returned last week.

The clam has been around a while, and has an excellent reputation seemingly, both on the board and on the ice.

i think you should by the hut yourself, and dont try to go half with another person. THere is always a good chance of each other tryin to take it one weekned somewhere, when the other wants to take it another spot.

MY .02 is buy it yourself, and save the hassles down the road.

I have a clam nanook and its great. No complaints at all.....I wouldnt split a shack with someone either as Anders has pointed out...

check out riverside outdoors in thunder bay...Shipping isnt to bad to the sault....He uses the greyhound bus...

As far as HT goes I use a few HT rods and I love em too.....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Whatever you decide on, dont split on a hut/boat etc.Ive been there and seen many others in the same situation.It will go down hill for sure.You may loose a good friend and fishing buddy over a measly 2 bits worth.Its not worth it at all!I lost a good long time friend over something in the same manner.If you cant afford a hut then buy 2 cheap pop up tents, then go from there.No quarrels and you are both sheltered.AND STILL BUDS.just my 2 cnts worth.

You guys make a good point about sharing anything. I usually stay well away from this. But I figured it would work since the only person he ever fishes with is me. But you all make a good point. I suppose I've gone without a hut for this long already...why not a little longer :D .

A cheapo kids tent and some matting, that shouldnt create a problem at all.Buy two.I did when I wanted shelter.Then no issues and you both have a back up.Just in case.FYI Those tents will fly across the lake like a parachute.So will the clam but not as bad.HEHE

I just got home from a trip to Winnipeg. I went looking for ice shelters and at Cabelas they had an Eskimo Quickfish2 (2 person size, i guess) for $229 but you couldn't stand up in it. They had a HT shelter that was bigger but it was $279 and looked like it was more cheaply made. I remember readiing the comments on here before I went looking and I can see where those comments are coming from.

Then I went to COSTCO. they had an Eskimo Quickfish 3 on for $179 and you could stand up in it. they say it is 90x90 and a 78" hieight.

I don't ice fish that much, but for that money, who could pass it up. I'm sure momma is going to love me for bringing it home. LOL

I just got home from a trip to Winnipeg. I went looking for ice shelters and at Cabelas they had an Eskimo Quickfish2 (2 person size, i guess) for $229 but you couldn't stand up in it. They had a HT shelter that was bigger but it was $279 and looked like it was more cheaply made. I remember readiing the comments on here before I went looking and I can see where those comments are coming from.

Then I went to COSTCO. they had an Eskimo Quickfish 3 on for $179 and you could stand up in it. they say it is 90x90 and a 78" hieight.

I don't ice fish that much, but for that money, who could pass it up. I'm sure momma is going to love me for bringing it home. LOL

If your mama is like mine,she'll really love ya for it.I let my kids camp out in it in the living room when I got mine.Oh and mama was really really happy about it.And hello coach for me.HeHe

I got one from Costco for Christmas...

gallery_273_73_15194.jpg

It's kinda crowded with three, but for two people, it's ideal. The best feature is you can stand fully upright.

• 5 years later...

Seems that the board is really not to impressed with the HT. I had/have an opportunity to purchase one and just from the opinions so far it really has me second guessing. The one thing I would love to know,( if anyone knows) I really cant find a subzero hut. Everyone I talk to say that CT sells them. Also is the material fabric on the HT the same as the subzero? Really would like to hear from anyone who knows the differences.

On a calm sunny day, with temperatures around -10° to -15° most any portable will be fine.

It's when there's a strong wind and cold temps, is where the lower quality of some of these huts will let you down.

Last year setting up my 6 man Rapala Pro on a windy day, I was quit surprised and happy it stayed intact.

There were 3 of us there; one being my niece that weighs maybe 100lbs. I told her whatever you do don't let go of the hut; not until I get it staked down.

I set the first 2 pegs and all of a sudden a big gust of wind grabs the hut and the base is like 5 feet in the air; with some of the walls collapsed in.

I think you little bugger (my niece) you let go. I look up and she hadn't; but her feet were at least 3 feet off the ground, dangling in the wind.

We laughed so hard that we all let go and the hut tumbled to the end of the 2 tether straps in a tangled mess of poles, canvas and tether straps.

We finally did get set up and there wasn't any broken poles or rips; so I was happy and still laughing at my flying niece.

Not the same day but one taken a week or so later.

IMG_0208.JPG

Dan.

Like has been said , check sales and buy it yourself, u will save many :wallbash:

Had an old clam back east , but hardly ever closed it, never got that cold

Thought my wife would like some a pop up, and bought one last winter, a little short on head room , was cozy :tease:but after being out at -40ish barely collapse the damn thing , barely squished it enough to fit in back of full size truck box with cap, still looked like a just deployed chute behind a dragster, sold it after 2 more attempts,,,,,but if the winters were more moderate the pop up is nice, can throw it in a boggan etc

I haven't (yet) had a single problem with mine. And it was only $143 end of season at LeBaron.....

You are lucky then, everything I have ever bought from HT has fallen apart, the zips and the material on the ice fishing bags go….the cork on their rods falls off, the handles on their ice scoops break…or just fall apart…their reels on the combos are junk and seize up as soon as its below zero…lol…I'm not a fan!

I've had the same clam for years now (like 5 or 6 anyways). No issues that I didn't cause from my own stupidity, but it still works mint.

I also have a cheapy pop up I got from costco last year that has been great so far. Only one season on it, but I have no complaints except that its orange.....works good, easy set up, and has held up to some serious winds and cold weather.

S.

my main fishing partner has an HT...never mind the seams and crappy tabs, the entire walls seem to just randomly degrade so that more and more pin holes and runs just randomly appear everywhere.

Yes it will do the trick in a pinch...sort of? but expect your hut to be cold.

Pops and I have fished in our clam many times and the thing is usually toasty without a heater...they are very nice and airtight and great at keeping your body heat in once it gets going..the HT in general isn't that pleasant to fish in once it gets below -15

Edited by AKRISONER