safe or sorry

limeyangler

thought i'd try a poll...messed it up....lol

Anyway...whadaya think...this is the thickness of ice i have out the front of the house....inched around 10 feet out checking as i went.

I'm pretty confident it is pretty much the same thickness all over the bay as it froze all at once....depth of the bay pretty even, and no deeper than 15'.

So....should i do it....get an evening icefishing session....lol...i think my mind is already made up actually...just thought i'd throw that out in the forum out of interest.

ICE CHUNK I HACKED OUT WITH AN AXE 10 FEET FROM SHORE

PC020626.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

With a buddy I would venture out on less than that. Like to have 4+ when Im by myself. Just go slow and check often. Keep your spacing if with someone.

By having the appropriate gear, rope, icepicks, life jacket/floater suit you can be prepared for the worst.

You have to be comfortable as the one on the ice. Not me. Constantly twitching because of poor ice is not a fun time.

I found this online.

4 inches 200 pounds (one person and gear)

5 inches 800 pounds (one snowmobile)

7 inches 1,500 pounds (group of people)

8 inches 2,000 pounds (one car)

In all honsety, one winter in my youth I was the first guy to fish Ramsey Lake in Sudbury for the season. There was little more than 3 inches. There's a walking trail right where I went on the ice and was fishing and people who passed by were yelling at me to "get off the ice you crazy kid," I decided to get off when I noticed that my dog running on the ice was causing the ice to deflect, as evidenced by the raising and falling water line in my hole. Don't be stupid like me, be smart like you.

You get a real sick feeling when you put the blades of your auger against the ice, push down, turn only four times and you're through.

Edited by Fishnwire

Personally I wouldn't go.... I'd wait til you see a report from us first :P:lol::lol: joke joke :lol::lol:

Kidding aside...... looks like you have 3" inches of good black ice, go for it but don't venture out too far.

Have fun Simon and be safe!!!

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

Hey All,

interesting to see the range of opinion. seems like 3 main trends in the reply.....

1) What the hell ya waiting for!

2) Go....but with all the safety equipment and a buddy

3) your nuts....dont go!

Well i was intending to go with number 2 option but my buddy could'nt make it....gawd knows he wanted to, so i decided not to go.

Guess it all comes down to your own 'personal pucker factor'....lol....and i'd be a puckerin' for sure...not my idea of a relaxing time even if i avoid the icy plunge!

Be safe everyone...

Cheers

Simon