Not a lot of Steelhead...but some BIG ONES!!! (A new PB for Bly)

ccmtcanada

Well, after our success earlier in the week, we decided that we'd head out again tonight. The conditions were about the same...pretty good visibility, waters a little faster than normal, but we had a pretty good feeling about it.

We started drifting for a bit and it didn't seem like anything was around. Bly had some line tangle issues and was trying to fix that when my float when down....FAST! I set the hook and this fish went crazy!!! It swam to the other side of the bank in about 2 seconds...jumped high into the air and then came straight at me like a bullet! It jumped again close to the bank and I thought the fight was over. It looked like it was going to jump right out of the water and on the bank. But it quickly recovered and jumped yet again in the middle of the pool. Finally, I was able to bring it in nice and easy. Anyhow, here's an entry to team 10...a 32.5" steelhead.

Satnight325inch.jpg

After that was done, we got Bly's line issues resolved, I had a break off and had to re-tie. Don't you know it, she says fish on and she's fighting a monster as well! This one looked like it was going to take a bee line to the next pool down stream, but she expertly turned the fish around...managed to avoid a bunch of rocks and brought it closer. Here's a pic near the end of the fight.

satnightfight.jpg

She lands her new personal best Steelhead, coming in at 32" even and weighing about 12 to 13 pounds!! Another entry for team 1 in the tourney.

Satnight32inch.jpg

I landed another smaller 18" fish, but didn't bother with a picture.

All in all, 2 hours on a nice warm spring night...cant beat it...especially when there's fish involved.

Edited by ccmt

All I can say is... Epic!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Congrats to bly on her new PB!!! :clapping:

*Cliffs fish... not so much* :P

SNAG Posted Today, 11:00 PM

Those signs look tasty,

How 'bout some "humble pie" when we cccccccccrush your team?

... but... but, doesnt that mean you'll have to actually enter a fish??? :dunno::unsure:

WOW ...couple of great nights out guys,Congrats :worthy:

I like the action shot of Bly fighting that fish,great stuff.

May I ask what the bait of choice was in the dark?

Again great couple of reports coming from the both of you,keepem comin :thumbsup_anim:

cheers

Streamerguy

:Gonefishing:

Those signs look tasty,

How 'bout some "humble pie" when we cccccccccrush your team?

Hmmm....and your team has now many fish entered???

*Cliffs fish... not so much* :P

Well...seems to be bigger than any fish you've caught... :P

:clapping: Epic indeed! Well done folks and good job on the entry Cliff ( I see you lost the nail polish ;) )

Hey Spiel...who's team are you on? You're not supposed to make fun of your own captain!!

May I ask what the bait of choice was in the dark?

:Gonefishing:

Roe....as stinky as you can get it! It's all about scent at night.

Holy mother of chrome...Another report? :worthy:

Congrats Carole on the new PB

I had a similar experience this past week on hitting size VS numbers. Always seems surreal when you hit a pod of behemoths. I'm guessing night-time steelheading is on Victor's mind now...He got into his first steelhead on the float set-up yesterday but couldn't land it. Hey Vic, how about working 9-5 and fishing 5-9 this week?...I'll be up for it :D

Well done! You two never cease to amaze me.

Next time you come here to fish you have to bring Carole.

You only catch them when she's around. ;)

I should...I didn't catch anything up there without her....LOL.

wow - awesome fish for both of you! How do you see your floats in those conditions? :huh:

cheers,

Uf

We use those glow sticks...put them on top of the floats...when you don't see them anymore it's time to set the hook...LOL.

i cant believe u guys are hitttin them so good at night that rocks nice fish

Thanks...most nights it's a bust. More challenging as you can't see what your line is doing, but it can be done with practice.

Edited by ccmt

Thanks for the report.

Those are some good sized steelies.

It seems that the larger fish seem to enter the rivers last as a general rule.

No crowds at that time.

You guys seem to be on fire.

Edited by msp