A day at my office...NF

Bernie

I sometimes wonder what others do here and what their days are like. So today was a little quiet at my shop and took advantage of it to take a couple pictures of a somewhat typical day.

Not trying to spam here. Just thought some may find it interesting.

This is Gord, a top notch guy as well as a great mechanic. Gord is leaving my employ at the end of next week after being with me for around 12 years. He's off to Attiwapiskat to work in the mine up there. Big bucks apparently. Going to miss him around here, he's a good friend too.

P1020541.jpg

When checking the air filter on this van he found a fairly common problem.

A mouse/chipmunk nest that took 10 minutes with a vacuum to get it all out.

P1020529.jpg

This is Dan, our service counter guy. Always cheery. Sorry about the fuzzy pic.

P1020546.jpg

My son Nick. Talent galore. Still learning, but knows parts and has incredible computer skills. Wouldn't stay still for a picture.

P1020548.jpg

This came up from the boat shop to get rigged for a new engine. This is almost identical to my first boat in 1976.

P1020533.jpg

P1020536.jpg

My brother Mark and our sales guy Larry.

Goofing off as usual. ;)

P1020542.jpg

This is head marine tech Jim rigging up the new engine. Been here for over 30 years.

P1020544.jpg

This is another Nick tuning up a bike. He was a kid in my scout troop. Jeez I'm getting old.

P1020543.jpg

This is a generator I am fixing up as an emergency backup for my home in town. I can then take my smaller one out to the cottage.

P1020538.jpg

There a some more people that I didn't get pictures of. Our girl looking after the books Pauline that puts up with us teasing her (she gives it back though :D ), Bill who was away at service school, Andy who was unloading boats, Ash my part time car mechanic, John our apprentice in school and Mom and Dad who come in and keep us all in line.

Edited by Bernie

Next time I'm on 11 heading to Temagami I'll try and pull in and say Hi. Maybe you can show me how to get this darn 115 HP Merc running right. I think the idle is turned down too low but I'm not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to engines. Takes the cold start to turn it over even in July.

Bad day here in the photo business. We've let go about 12 this week. 6 guys just today in our service department and 2 in the purchasing. I've been there now 22 years and a few of them are good friends

Edited by Fang

Next time I'm on 11 heading to Temagami I'll try and pull in and say Hi. Maybe you can show me how to get this darn 115 HP Merc running right. I think the idle is turned down too low but I'm not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to engines. Takes the cold start to turn it over even in July.

Bad day here in the photo business. We've let go about 12 this week. 6 guys just today in our service department and 2 in the purchasing. I've been there now 22 years and a few of them are good friends

On Mercs to be honest I have worked on very little. But we have a couple of Merc techs. Bill has been working on them for 30 years. I was raised on OMC. Then I went and started working on automotive for the last 28 years. But we all work together and if we have a difficult issue we will brainstorm on it.

Sad to lose people you have worked with for a long time Fang. Gord and I have known each other for close to 40 years. Says he will come in and give me a break for a week or two this summer on his time off. I will need to find a guy soon or maybe I will end up going north too.

... just one question... where's the 200 ton crane, 40' deep pit, and 1 foot deep mud???

Actually the 200 ton crane is the only thing we don't have. And the pit isn't quite 40'.

As for the girl in the office if I posted a pic of her you guys would just drool on your keyboard. ;)

Sad to see friends go, it happens and is part of life. I believe that the loyalty that they have shown you and the family business, is a direct reflection fo the treatment that those employees have been given by their employer.

I hope things work out well for yah Bernie... and I too just love looking at those boats!

HH

Joe it will be a sad day next Friday. For both of us. But double the money and more benefits are something I can't match.

We are like family in here Gerritt. Just like family some may have to move on from time to time. Only 4 guys have left here over the last 30 years and one just came back.

Bernie thats awesome thanks for sharing,you guys saved my butt on a Saturday afternoon many moons ago ,My 440 snowcrosser was falling flat on its face @ 6000 rpm,your guys figured it out and even had the box in stock for a sled you where sponsering that season,ill never forget that it was much appreciated,as far as loosing guys it sucks esp life long buds,I get a new helper every season it seems one/two seasons of working hauling on Gbay and there looking for something softer hahahlife goes on

We are like family in here Gerritt. Just like family some may have to move on from time to time. Only 4 guys have left here over the last 30 years and one just came back.

Bernie sounds like you have a great crew working for ya and that all you guys have a bond for what has to be done on a day to day basis.... Congratulations :clapping:

Just can't ask for any better than that. It's sad to see a good person leave and at the same time rewarding. I'm sure he will bring the same level of professionalism that he showed in your shop to his new environment and lucky that he can commit some time to you on his days off :thumbsup_anim:

What a guy!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Bernie,

The fact that these guys have been with you for so long is a good reflection on you as an employer. It is hard to loose a good person, but of course he is doing what he feels is best for himself and you can't fault him for that.

This just opens up a spot for some other fortunate individual to join your team!

Thanks for sharing and good luck!

nice shop looks like you have lots of room to move around in, its hard to lose good people and even harder to replace them

EC we are glad when spring arrives so some of us can get out to work the "big shop" (outdoors ;) ) We need more space but it's adequate.

Bernie thats awesome thanks for sharing,you guys saved my butt on a Saturday afternoon many moons ago ,My 440 snowcrosser was falling flat on its face @ 6000 rpm,your guys figured it out and even had the box in stock for a sled you where sponsering that season,ill never forget that it was much appreciated,as far as loosing guys it sucks esp life long buds,I get a new helper every season it seems one/two seasons of working hauling on Gbay and there looking for something softer hahahlife goes on

Glad we were able to help out NES ! :)

Bernie sounds like you have a great crew working for ya and that all you guys have a bond for what has to be done on a day to day basis.... Congratulations :clapping:

Just can't ask for any better than that. It's sad to see a good person leave and at the same time rewarding. I'm sure he will bring the same level of professionalism that he showed in your shop to his new environment and lucky that he can commit some time to you on his days off :thumbsup_anim:

Jacques

Jacques I have worked in a few places through my career but this has been best so far. It's great to be able to get along with everyone.

What kind of shop do you run, Bernie?

I was under the impression that you built boats. Based on your photos you guys do a lot more than that.

Jim

When it comes right down to it Jim there isn't much we are not capable of doing mechanically.

Bernie,

The fact that these guys have been with you for so long is a good reflection on you as an employer. It is hard to loose a good person, but of course he is doing what he feels is best for himself and you can't fault him for that.

This just opens up a spot for some other fortunate individual to join your team!

I hope it will be that easy Rattletrap. Good techs are not easy to find. Hopefully we will get someone to fill Gords shoes.

I have several applications for apprentices but I am getting too old and crusty to train another one. :lol:

Sitting here taking inventory of all the 'jobs' I've had so far over my lifetime and there hasn't been one that came close to giving me the feeling that I was with 'family'. I enjoyed your thread Bernie... :clapping:

Hope someday you may have the opportunity Twilight.

Thanks Bernie .I did like my tour last time I was in town.

Anytime Mike.