Last Ice trip for this season

Fang

Headed up north with Malcolm for 1 last kick at catching few lakers before the ice gets too risky. Several trips this year have produced very good numbers but we always have to work for them each time out changing locations, figuring out depth and what they want.

There was 3 of us this morning and we set up on a new deep water point that looked good on the map and started with 2 quick 2lbers for our other buddy. Both fish hit the bell sinker and minnow lines. Malcolm hits a nice 2 lber about a half hour later and then it was quite.

As I have not had a sniff on my jig or minnow line, the ants in my pants get too much and I convince the guys to pull up and hit spot number 2. Another main lake deep point. This spot has a great drop off from shore that funnels a lot of fish through the day. It took a while for the fish to get active but it was a steady pick on both the jig and minnow line for the next 3 hours. Most fish were 1-3 lbs.

After landed 3 quick ones in a row, I pulled out a bigger shiner and started to drop back down to the bottom. About half way down the line jumped and almost got pulled out of my hands. No time to set the hook - Fish on!!!

For the next 20 minutes all I could do was hold on try and budge this fish off the bottom. Twice the fish almost spooled my Daiwa 1300 with 8lb. The swivel finally came through the hole and all I saw was this big head.

Now here's where it went all wrong. I was fishing out of a 6 inch hole as I always have my manual auger packed and it was just faster to get my holes drilled rather than waiting for the 10" gas auger. Our other buddy had run and grabbed the gaff and all that we needed to do was guide the head up and stick the bottom jaw. Pretty easy as I thought to myself. Guide the trouts head into the hole and down the gaff goes.

I couldn't believe that buddy slams the gaff into the side off the fish just behind the gill plate. The hole fills with blood and I look down in shock to see one of the prettiest big trout bleeding all over the ice. How are we gonna release it was all I could think of.

I guess catch and release is not on everyone's priority. I really should have been more on top of what was happening at the hole and made sure he knew to go for the bottom jaw. Can you tell by the look on my face how thrilled I am at this moment.

DSCF9033.jpg

Well hopefully you all understand and don't rip me a new one. 34.5" laker 17.4 lbs. What really smarts is we meet up with our other buddies who were fishing a deep break about 2 miles away and heard how they landed and released a 36" 19 lber. As they showed me the pictures all I could do is sigh!

DSCF9032.jpg

We get back to the truck and here from a local that a 28 lber was also brought in that day.

Never thought about the smoker Wayne. Maybe a bit of a silver lining. About 8lbs of trout fillets in the freezer and the Leafs won. Maybe not so bad a day after all.

Edited by Fang

Beauty fish. Bummer your friend did that but as has been said, crap happens. Big happy belly on that one.

Enjoy her meat and it won't be so bad, she won't have gone to waste.

Joey

Edited by Joey

it was a wild fight and wild fish to come three that small hole, it was another great day on joseph as we got good numbers withthe group we had, don think we will be back on ice this yr, as one spot right out in middle old crack but was open the size of my atv . but in all it was good traveling for the arctic cat with the tracks. now to fish the normal waters. good job paul horseshoes up your ying yang