They ought'a be ASHAMED !!

Meely

2 weeks ago, I took my vehicle to my GM dealership for an oil change and to have my passenger side headlight bulb replaced. I dont drive anything fancy, a 2003 Chevy Venture which thankfully hasnt given me any major problems to date.

The following evening I noticed that when my lights came on, I had the small blue light in the dash come on indicating my high beams were on even though they were not. I then realized that the passenger headlamp high beam did not work.

So, I says to myself, I'll bring it back in to the dealership to have a look as I did not have this problem prior to taking it in. After 20 mins or so, the service agent comes to me and tells me I will need a new headlight assembly.......and they could do it for.......you ready for this........

FOUR HUNDRED + dollars all included (Parts and Labour). I nearly CRAPPIED myself!!

I then told them I could not justify dropping 4 clams on a head light assembly and asked them to prepare the vehicle as I was leaving. 10 mins later the same agent comes back to me in and states they could put a used one in for approx 300 + dollars , all in. I said thanks but no thanks....took my vehicle and left with my head shaking.

I made a few calls to some friends and we began our search for a used assemlby from a scrap yard. As luck would have it, my buddy was in one this afternoon and noticed a ruined Chevy Venture with a perfect front end. He asked how much for the head lamp assembly and is told $75 bucks. Needless to say, he snags it for me and we head to my buddy's place to try and install it. On the ride over to my buddy's place I asked him what kind of tools we would need to install it. He says to me "Just make sure you bring two fingers"!! I think hes kidding but boy was I wrong.

We get to my buddy's place late this evening and commence changing the headlight assemlby.

Can you believe it took us 20 minutes to change it completely and we use ABSOLUTELY NO TOOLS !!! 3 little plastic screws held it all together !! and it works.....GOOD AS NEW!!

75 bucks VS $400+ is one hell of a discount !!!

It is no wonder GM is headed for the crapper. How can they justify charging those prices??

What a friggin joke !! .....................Ok...I'm done ranting!!

Meely :canadian:

It's not just GM. My GF's dad needed to replace the gas shocks that hold up the rear hatch door on his Toyata van, dealership told him $600.00, he declined. I told him to go and purchase two new ones (cost was about $50-$60 apiece?) and I would replace them for him. I did this in his driveway with my pocket knife (small C clip) and 10 minutes of my time, keep in mind it was January (bitter cold) and I had no experience with this.

I hear you man, the quality of North American cars hasn't exactly impressed me lately. My parents bought a Jeep about 10 months ago and there was a problem with the rubber lining on the passenger side window. The dealership determined it was a defect and replaced it. Done and done right?

Wrong!

This very same part has been replaced THREE times in 10 months. I understand you get the occasional faulty part, but three times? Come on.

That's the problem living in the big smoke...They rip you off...you don't go back to them for nuttin' any more...they care less as there is another sucker coming in to replace you every day...

It was explained to me that out here in the sticks the mechanics can't play those games with us yokels as word of mouth spreads too fast and everybody boycotts them...

Cheers !!!...Mate

Too bad Uncle Vinny (The Chin) and Guido are so busy nowadays... :lol:

Edited by Beans

Hey Spiel, I got a recall notice for those items on my 2006 Toyota Sienna. Will get them replaced free at the next oil change. Same thing might have been available for her dad's van.

Thanks for the heads up TG. I know it's an older vehicle but I'll pass the word along.

When I got my 06 Yukon I got the extended warranty when the girl said it covered brakes. 65000 kms back brakes go. Pads and rotors, check my warranty I have $100.00 deductable and rotors not covered. Must use GM parts, GM rotors $235.00 each total so for $570.00 without taxes and labour. Needlessly to say fixed it myself with aftermarket parts for $155.00 and 90 minutes of my time. Oh yeh the dealer is a buddy of mine.

2 weeks ago, I took my vehicle to my GM dealership for an oil change and to have my passenger side headlight bulb replaced. I dont drive anything fancy, a 2003 Chevy Venture which thankfully hasnt given me any major problems to date.

The following evening I noticed that when my lights came on, I had the small blue light in the dash come on indicating my high beams were on even though they were not. I then realized that the passenger headlamp high beam did not work.

So, I says to myself, I'll bring it back in to the dealership to have a look as I did not have this problem prior to taking it in. After 20 mins or so, the service agent comes to me and tells me I will need a new headlight assembly.......and they could do it for.......you ready for this........

FOUR HUNDRED + dollars all included (Parts and Labour). I nearly CRAPPIED myself!!

I then told them I could not justify dropping 4 clams on a head light assembly and asked them to prepare the vehicle as I was leaving. 10 mins later the same agent comes back to me in and states they could put a used one in for approx 300 + dollars , all in. I said thanks but no thanks....took my vehicle and left with my head shaking.

I made a few calls to some friends and we began our search for a used assemlby from a scrap yard. As luck would have it, my buddy was in one this afternoon and noticed a ruined Chevy Venture with a perfect front end. He asked how much for the head lamp assembly and is told $75 bucks. Needless to say, he snags it for me and we head to my buddy's place to try and install it. On the ride over to my buddy's place I asked him what kind of tools we would need to install it. He says to me "Just make sure you bring two fingers"!! I think hes kidding but boy was I wrong.

We get to my buddy's place late this evening and commence changing the headlight assemlby.

Can you believe it took us 20 minutes to change it completely and we use ABSOLUTELY NO TOOLS !!! 3 little plastic screws held it all together !! and it works.....GOOD AS NEW!!

75 bucks VS $400+ is one hell of a discount !!!

It is no wonder GM is headed for the crapper. How can they justify charging those prices??

What a friggin joke !! .....................Ok...I'm done ranting!!

Meely :canadian:

:dunno: But maybe someone can explain to me what the headlamp assembly has to do with the functioning of the bulb itself? If I take a functioning bulb assembly out of my car or truck, it will still work. There's nothing electrical to connect bulb and headlight assembly, just a place where the bulb sits. The ground, high and lowbeam and signal/park light wires connect directly to the bulb.

Edited by Fisherman

That's the problem living in the big smoke...They rip you off...you don't go back to them for nuttin' any more...they care less as there is another sucker coming in to replace you every day...

It was explained to me that out here in the sticks the mechanics can't play those games with us yokels as word of mouth spreads too fast and everybody boycotts them...

Thats what i thought....I'm in Dryden, GM rips you off Here, and all three main garages...oooops 2....one went out of business, rip you off!

Good luck with that theory. Cause if all the local shops close up...you'll be driving to Richmond Hill for car repairs too :whistling:

There are good guys everywhere....and crooks everywhere. If you find a garage that gives you a square deal stick with em.

I am not sure if its only North American cars that do the rip off, but yes they do break down more.

I had a single older woman come to see me balling her eye's out she had gone too the dealer to have something small fixed. The bill came to 1200.00 and she was crying cause it cleared out her savings.

I looked at the bill, saw that they did the full works, even stuff that she could have put off. She called the dealer spoke to the manager and got a 400- discount (had to charge for some parts)

I was disguested that they would take advantage of someone like that, and I bet the knew what they were doing.

Yep, my tax dollars helping this industry .....

I will never buy American again. I now own a Nissan Pathfinder. It is a 2002 and I have put 170k on the vehicle. Other then the regular oil changes and maintenance such as brakes and fluids, I have done absolutely nothing with the car! It runs just like the day I bought it! I tow a larger boat, and ATV all the time. I am always amazed by the fact that the car has never changed and the motor has never run any different from the day I purchased it! Pure quality hands down! With previous American cars I have owned, 150km was the magic number. I would be replacing something new every month from that milage forward. Never again!

My wife's Mazda 626 is 10 years old, total repair costs to date $815.00 and that includes replacing the belts an O2 sensor (they were 10 years old and the belts had started to dry out, I had them replaced as a precaution), and an intake manifold gasket, a couple of hanger brackets on the exhaust system. Apart from that, just the usual lube, oil, filter stuff. Oh, and when it is running and you are standing right beside it, you can't hear it, the windows don't rattle when you close the doors, and everything still works on it. Try that with anything the big three put out!

I have been driving a Nissan X-Trail for three years now and love it, the lease is up on it in Oct. and I am so pleased with the quality and the service from the local dealership that I think I am just going to buy it at the end of the lease. The last Ford I had was in such bad shape after three years that I almost had to give it away, it was going to need almost $3000.00 in repairs and I take very good care of my stuff mechanically.

I was just reading an article on GM written in 2008 and it stated that with paid time off, benifits, wages, and pensions the average cost of labour is $74.00/hr and good old Buzz was stating that there was now way they were going to make any consessions to GM. Funny, now he wants to be part of the solution! Go figure. Buzz, I think you've killed the golden goose!

Does anyone wonder why Honda, Nissan, Toyota, aren't standing in line looking for a few billion to bail them out?

Man...I hate getting in on these kind of topics, but, slamming the US automakers is just a bunch of :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1: IMHO. I'm so sick of hearing about it....the day a car company sells a vehicle and doesn't need a service department is the day I'll buy into all the propaganda.

As IF Honda Nissan Toyota aren't in trouble...the whole industry is in trouble because...oh yeah...the whole world's economy is in trouble. It has so very little to do with product and so very much to do with credit and a crippled economy that has been built on buying more and more and more...and economy that devalues the very things it wants you to buy, as soon as you've bought them.

Sorry...haven't even read most of this post...but the tidbits I see just got me to the point where I couldn't resist.

I will never buy American again. I now own a Nissan Pathfinder. It is a 2002 and I have put 170k on the vehicle. Other then the regular oil changes and maintenance such as brakes and fluids, I have done absolutely nothing with the car! It runs just like the day I bought it! I tow a larger boat, and ATV all the time. I am always amazed by the fact that the car has never changed and the motor has never run any different from the day I purchased it! Pure quality hands down! With previous American cars I have owned, 150km was the magic number. I would be replacing something new every month from that milage forward. Never again!

Lets not knock the NA brands too much. There are some good out there.

Here is my story:

2001 Buick Century, bought it brand new. In 390K I replaced the brakes 4 times (myself), broke one coil spring, and a catalytic converter. Absolutely fantastic car. Never failed to start, never let me down. Sold it to a customer, and his son-in-law is still driving it!

Now I drive a 2004 Buick LeSabre, 125K, done the brakes once, nothing else so far....... :)

Burt :)

It's a myth the foreign companies aren't hurting also. Another thing to take into consideration when talking about the foreign companies here in Canada and the 74$/hour figure is their workforce hasn't really started retiring and therefore they haven't had to make any pension payments like the big three have yet. As for me I will NEVER buy a foreign vehicle ever.